Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it's important to keep yourself in good shape if so why?

碇 シンジン

It depends.

I mean, what if one actually wants to be fat? People like that do exist, ya know, and being fat would improve their quality of life.

And before I have my post taken out of context- NO, I'm not saying everyone should be fat. If you prefer being skinny or ripped, be skinny or ripped, and if you prefer being fat, then be fat.

Quality versus quanity. Personally, I'd pick quality.

I think its one of the most important things in my life. I keep myself in good shape because it makes me feel good. if I eat bad (lots of deep fried food or stuff like that) I don't feel good and if I don't get some exorcise at least 1 or 2 times a week I feel bad. and if I feel bad than nothing feel good. so if I want to enjoy any other part of my life I want to keep my self feeling good.

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

Here's a simple form of reasoning:

You could always cope, or deal with certain physical conditions like blood-pressure, exhaustion, and various heart sicknesses. In fact, considering you're very young i'm certain that new forms of medicine will arrive in the future to cover even more conditions and problems.

Or, you could actually avoid everything altogether. Working out is free, and adds other perks, too. :)

• Brohoof 1

I think it isn't that important to lift weights and go to gym. I mean what do you benefit in the long run? You just get weaker when you get old so you are not gonna keep that good shape forever.

I don't get the point to wake up at 5 or 6 am and go to gym just to torture yourself. I never go to gym and I'm in bad shape I'm very weak and I don't think there is any problem with it. I mean I can't lift heavy things but I don't think that is necessary. I can live happy life without gym or that stuff.

If you go to gym why you do so? What do you gain, muscles that you can brag off?

Here goes...

Ok so, let's be blunt.  This question is pretty naive.  Health and hygiene, etc., is obviously important.  It's something we all learned about all throughout school.  Why do you think PE is pretty much mandatory for everyone without some kind of predisposed health condition?

*sigh*

But.  I see where you're coming from anyway.  Yet, at the same time, your logic is a bit off.  You don't necessarily get "weaker" when you grow older, that is, if indeed, you keep up the same routine.  And I'm not saying go out and lift/run, etc... I'm saying, if you're consistent in being at least somewhat active, it's not that you're going to "get weaker" - what is the case, though, is that, as we age, we develop more wear and tear.  Much like a vehicle with high mileage.  With proper upkeep and maintenance, you can keep a car on the road for a long time. Same logic with humans, except, we aren't machines, and thus, as animals, we feel pain.  

My grandmother is like, nearly 80... and yet she still goes and and walks around town all the time, and is healthy and active.

What you do, what you intake, and what you don't do, and what you don't intake, all correlate directly with your health.

I'm only going to be 20 in less than a month, and I already have back and neck problems.  But I'm a diehard in terms of work ethic.  A horse who can't be broken easily at all, if you will.

My health has fluctuated alot in the last few years... well, not so much "health" in general as much as weight and nutrition.  

So, what's my story then?  I'll be short and to the point here.  I hit my peak height of 6 foot at the age of 16 or 17.  Entering high school at ~15, I was 5' 10" and probably about 185 pounds.  Some of that weight from muscle, some from fat.  Not gonna lie.  I had some chub.  And even though I played sports, and went WOT (that is, wide open throttle [sorry, I'm a gearhead]) in PE in high school, I managed to continue an an unhealthy weight gain, and my junior year, at the age of 17, I topped out at about 205 pounds.  For a 6 foot kid, that was a bit overweight.  And then, something happened.  Actually, two things happened.  In the summer between my junior and senior years of high school, I got appendicitis and had to have surgery (an appendectomy).  So, I couldn't eat much for a while after that.  Dropped down to about 195 - yes, lost 10 pounds - in a mere week or two.  Oops.  Then, after being able to get back up on the saddle after my stitching had all healed up, I still didn't have the same appetite I used to have.  So, my weight stayed there for a month or two.  THEN... after some hard thinking and recollection of some stuff I'd been doing all my darn life, I realized I wanted to talk to my doctor.  I talked to my mom about it first.  I said: "I think the general consensus of me being hyper has finally gotten to me.  I probably really do have ADHD.  I wanna see my doctor."  And, mom backed me up, said, yep, let's do it.

You see, I had been an ornery child - a hyper kid - for all my life.  Making impulsive decisions.  And the thing that pushed me over the edge to want to talk to my doc was that I... I freaking pulled a Dukes of Hazard and jumped over the hood of my friend's car.  Denting the hood, lol.  So, I had to pay to get that fixed.  Oops.

Doctor gave me some tests (written tests, after asking me questions first).  Eeyup.  It was a golden case of ADHD (impulsiveness, not attention).  Sooo... I started taking medicine for it two weeks before my senior year (doc had me do it that way so to see how I'd react before going back to school).  Well, it was working.  I started thinking before acting... I grew the heck up, and quit acting like a tool.  Well, somewhat... Haha, still got my same sense of humor.  But, at least I don't act so impulsive as much as I used to.

Annnyway.  What's the point in all this relating to health??? 

Weight loss.  

Thirty-five pounds.

Lost.

[From the start of my junior year] By the end of my senior year of high school.

I graduated (of course, 6 foot tall) weighing ~170 pounds.

:o And I used to weigh 205 my junior year!? Dude! That's not good to lose so much weight that fast!

Yeah, no kidding.  Appetite went out the window after I started my meds.  Didn't each much.  Had a small breakfast, and a medium dinner, sometimes skipping lunch.  

After graduating high school, I took a look in the mirror (well, the scale too) and stepped back for a second.  In shock.  I needed to stop losing weight and get back up to the average healthy weight for my age/gender/height.  

Right now, I'm a sophomore in college.  Last year, even after that initial shock of telling myself to eat right... I didn't eat right my freshman year of college.  Now, don't get me wrong... I did eat.  I got up to 175.  Stayed there.  Still am ~175 pounds right now.  But... the problem remained; remains... that I need to put more effort into my nutrition.  Because, even though 175 is probably just about right (and I do have some muscle tone after working in the summer - outside job working for my city)  ... Freshman year of college, looking at my finger nails - they weren't clear-ish like they should've been - they had white spots.  And I got worried and asked my cousin (who's twice my age, btw) about it.  She said it was a sign of malnutrition, that I wasn't getting enough vitamins/minerals/etc.  Well shit!  So, it's now in my concern to not only keep my weight around 175 pounds, give or take a few, but also to make sure I eat the right kinds of food.  Because, obviously, I was doing it wrong freshman year.

Now.  Today, Thurday, August 28, 2014... is nearing the end of my first week back in college as a sophomore.  I'm still at ~175 pounds.  And I want it to stay there.  And, I want to make sure I eat right, as well as get off my arse and away from the computer screen once in a while (but that one's gonna be hard, considering I'm a comp-sci major, lol).  

So, ooBrony... To answer you're question in one last, simple manner - weight, and nutrition, are very important.  Maybe you don't need to go out lift weights, run, etc.  But, take my case in one big consideration.  I went from 205 at the start of my junior year of high school, and graduated at 170.  That's 35 pounds lost, without even trying to lose weight, all due to the loss of appetite.  So, thus, the key thing to take away from all this, if you remember any of this down the road... is that, you need to eat.  You need to set a goal, get there at a slow pace, not hurting yourself on the way... and then do your best to stay there.  Random weight fluctuation, loss in my case, could have presented a worse problem than it did.  And I thank God that I caught it when I did, and didn't keep dropping.  I want to stay around 175 for as long as I can.  So, in the end, maybe you shouldn't just take it from me, but maybe even talk to your physician/doctor about this.  Because it's not something to scoff or sneeze at.

• Brohoof 5

maybe even talk to your physician/doctor about this.  Because it's not something to scoff or sneeze at.

I've talked to doctor and she said that I was too underweight. I was like 110lbs she told me to eat, but I think I'm eating enough already. And after I almost passed out after a blood test I decided I'm not going to doctor again because I was afraid. I have tried to have healthy life, but I don't have motivation so I gave up on it.

All I have is issues everybody around me is worried about me and I don't like that attention it makes me pressure to succeed, because I don't want to disappoint them. I'm maybe runningaway from my problems but I never asked problems I wanted normal life and now I'm screwed .

I've talked to doctor and she said that I was too underweight. I was like 110lbs she told me to eat, but I think I'm eating enough already. And after I almost passed out after a blood test I decided I'm not going to doctor again because I was afraid. I have tried to have healthy life, but I don't have motivation so I gave up on it.

All I have is issues everybody around me is worried about me and I don't like that attention it makes me pressure to succeed, because I don't want to disappoint them. I'm maybe runningaway from my problems but I never asked problems I wanted normal life and now I'm screwed .

It seems my case is even more relevant to you than I had known before.

I know what it's like to pass out from dehydration due to sickness.  I was only 13 at the time.  Had the flu bad.  We we welcoming a family member home from Iraq (he's in the US Army) at the airport, and I was holding up a welcome sign for him.  Felt myself loosing consciousness - literally started getting heavy headed and getting dark red tunnel vision - so I turned around, dropped the sign, and said to my father "I don't feel too good" and BAM, dropped like a rock on him.   He dragged me to a chair, someone ran to the vending machine and got be a red powerade.  Lmao.  How the heck I managed to keep it down, is beyond me.  But I did.

So, not only is it food, but, liquid, that you need to remain healthy.  So, seeing that you passed out after getting blood drawn, says to me that, not only are you underweight, but, you weren't hydrated well enough either.

Now, the last thing you need top hear is someone giving you orders in a bad tone to shove something down your throat.  Believe me, I know what it's like to be told what to do but all I wanted to do in turn was the opposite. 

But, seriously, I want to help you.  So, rather than just doing that, I'm going to give you more reasons.

The human body can live months without food if someone is of healthy weight, but, if underweight, that time can be cut shorter, to a mere 2 weeks sometimes.  However, in this period, the body goes through multiple phases of getting energy.  First, the current sugar already in the blood is used.  then, the body starts breaking down fatty tissue.  If a person has a low percentage of fat, this phase might not even occur for long at all, and the next state begins.  After sugar and fat sources deplete from the body and the brain, muscles start getting broken down for their proteins.  The person's mood is effected massively, barely having energy to move.  Tiredness will overcome, and the body starts shutting down, going into a state much similar to hibernation in the animal world.  The person will stay alive for as long as there are energy sources and water to hydrate the person.  Blood thickens, but the heart rate is already slow, due to the nearly hibernative state.  Respiration comes to a deathly slow rate.  By this point, the person should have already been in the emergency room days ago.  But, in the case that the person was away and alone, if fallen unconscious...

Dude you've actually got me in tears right now... 

Please.  For the sake of love and life.  Never be alone if your health is poor.  Always, always, be around someone.  Your appetite and thirst may not be well, but, it can be helped through being around others when they are eating and drinking.  Just seeing them eat and drink will effect you subconsciously.

Feel free to PM me.

• Brohoof 3

When you say "Good Shape", do you mean working out? Eating Healthy? I assume you mean hitting the gym and doing the weight thing. I do think it's important to jog or do something of that nature at least once a week. I.E- Me and some friends do laps in the pool at my school. It isn't an outward appearance thing, it's just good for your heart and such.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, exercising makes me feel awesome. I enjoy getting home and feeling like pudding. Don't ask why, I don't know either but I just feel accomplished or something.

Like I ain't just some blob on a couch. 

• Brohoof 1

You seem to have a negative attitude towards exercise. But as long as you're happy with the way you look and feel, that's what matters.

As for me, though? Yes, I do believe it's important to keep healthy, and I believe that exercise is an important part of that. Yes, I lift weights (three times a week). I do it for the muscles, and also for the confidence boost that the muscles give me. Also, exercising just makes you feel better in general. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's necessary to go the gym every day or anything, but you definitely should work as hard as you need to to maintain a healthy body weight and make sure you're getting the right nutrition. I mean, that's just common sense, right? People don't want to just get fatter and more unhealthy year after year, right?

• Brohoof 1

I think it's extremely important to stay in good shape due to the positive health benefits.  Keeping in good shape makes you feel better, have more energy, recover from injury and illness quicker, etc.  It improves your quality of life.  But there's no need to "torture" oneself by lifting weights or running on a treadmill at the gym if you don't want to.  There are plenty of ways one can stay in shape and have fun at the same time.  It's just a matter of finding an activity you enjoy.  And unless you're the athletic/competitive type, you don't need to push yourself that hard.  You can stay fit and healthy while keeping your activity at an enjoyable level.  Me?  I like to push myself to see how much I can do, how far I can go.  I think it's fun.  I've always enjoyed physical activity.  It makes me feel so much better overall.

• Brohoof 3

Yes staying in shape is important but you are talking as if staying in shape means you have to be as strong as the Incredible Hulk or as fast as The Flash when that is not entirely true. I have been gifted with strength far above average and have developed it further through weight lifting but I also learned the hard way though 5 work related knee injuries that I am NOT invincible and of course that everybody is different. Because of my bad knee I can no longer stand in place for prolonged periods of time without risking serious injury and cold/damp or humid weather can make my bad knee act up. But I still do what I can to stay in shape because although I have my limitations I know that making myself stronger will reduce the likelihood of me getting re injured as well of course eventually getting out of my job which puts way too much strain of my knees.

Getting adequate sleep, eating a proper diet and taking care of your emotional and mental health are also important. It is all a matter of balance, not too little of anything not too much of anything. What effects the body often effects the mind and what effects the mind often effects the body. Much of the reason why I got my 4th knee injury was because of the severe depression I was going through at the time, I was always sick and incredibly weak back then and simply put my body gave out on me.

• Brohoof 3

YES! Being underweight or overweight is not healthy. It can cause you serious problems in the future, and will make life a lot harder on yourself. And if you're looking for a relationship, looking healthy is a big turn on. Plus, I eat healthy and everyday I wake up feeling like a superstar, I feel energized and I don't feel lethargic. And if you have self esteem issues, looking good is a huge boost.

• Brohoof 4

It's always important to keep yourself healthy.

Healthy means something different for every person, though. Not everyone can conform to the same body standards realistically.

Eating a balanced diet, getting regular cardio for your heart, and staying active are all important to me.

I respect someone's decision to live a less-than-healthy lifestyle, that's their choice. But health is a very important aspect of life to me and I've been making great strides recently to make sure I get healthier and stay in shape. I've already shaved off seventeen pounds and put on muscle weight in the last few months, and I feel much better and full of energy than before, and that can only improve with additional dieting and exercise.

Being healthy is something you should take care of like your car, house, and finances to me. It's an integral part of enjoying life to its fullest.

• Brohoof 1

Well, there's a give and take in all of this. If you don't stay somewhat fit and healthy, you run the risk of developing heart problems, diabetes, circulatory issues and such when you grow older. If you decide to stay active and work out, you run the risk of your muscles and nerves breaking down, extra strain on your body, arthritis, and other mobility issues when you grow older.

I'm not saying physical fitness is or isn't a bad thing, but to a degree, there's a middle ground you have to take with it, where you're not obese, but at the same time, you're not Hulk Hogan. Kind of an "average" body type.

• Brohoof 1

no, everyone should be fat and suffer their entire life.

:confused:

seriously?  you stay in good shape so you can move without losing your breath every few steps.  cuts down on all types of illnesses and other health problems.  you'll feel better about yourself and look better to others  you can live longer, usually.  there's just... so many reasons.  why would you WANT to be unhealthy, out of shape, and weak?

life ends, but i mean, you got the potential for over 100 years, and that's a pretty darn long time.  you want to suffer through them all?  

you don't have to go to the gym and lift weights to be in shape.  you only really need half an hour a day, and you could do as little as just taking a half hour walk.  cut out most of your junk food and eat healthy.  you don't have to torture yourself working out.  do you not like any sports?  running, ball games, swimming?  even dancing is really good for you, and super fun.  do a few rounds of ddr each day.  zumba is really fun for me.

Of course. I'm very into making my body the best, and strongest, it can be. I really plan my life around it because my body is what gets me around and how I interact with the world, therefore I want it to be the healthiest and best it can. :) I also have very severe mental illness and working out helps me control some symptoms, like depression. My day is not complete until I have been at the gym for 2 hours. I can't sleep (I have really bad insomnia and working out tires me out) or feel really good until I've worked hard at the gym and pumped those weights! I want to do more things too, like run and climb some mountains.

I consider it important because I am a living example of why one should at least keep themselves healthy.

I mean I don't exercise; at all, and I know I should, but I don't. As a result, I'm slightly overweight, my strength isn't what it should be, and I don't have the running or physical endurance that other members of my sex have.

Now, it doesn't really bother me that much as my self-esteem is fairly high regardless, BUT...I know I could do better.

It's important if you want to have a longer life. And if you don't want to look... unfavorable as well. For me, both are equal motivators. (I have low self-esteem and the thought of looking ugly makes me feel very very horrible. It's an impulsive constant need to look my best)

The argument is, why do it if you're just going to get old and die? Well, why do anything if you're just going to get old and die? What's the point of general existence and living? It's that sort of depressing thought that makes ones' life pointless. We each have a different purpose in this world, and mine is to be as happy as possible.

Feeling like my body is fit contributes to this. My body influences my mental state a lot, and vice versa. I have to take care of both of these things equally. I haven't been keeping up with my exercise as much as I could, that's true. But I have been ensuring that I have a low sodium, decent diet, and trying not to eat too many unhealthy things or more than what I need. That's also part of staying in shape. From this alone, I have lost seven pounds. I plan on losing more soon, and getting more exercise once my schedule gets more stable. Probably will go running at the park with my boyfriend because I don't have enough money to sustain my gym membership. 

Being fit isn't just about taking care of your body, but your mind too. I genuinely feel better after a workout. If anything, it's important to keep in good shape because of stress. It gets rid of a lot of tension just to go and physically exert yourself. Our bodies, like our minds, need to express themselves too.

Also, confidence! It increases your confidence when your body is stronger and more powerful.

Healthy body= healthy mind= happy self

I've started working out and I can honestly that I feel better than I did last month. Lost some weight, got some complements, and it increased my confidence a bit too, which is rare. So yeah, I'd recommend a bit of working out. Don't force yourself to do more than you're willing to, or you're not gonna have a good time.