Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to start drawing ponies.

Shadowking58

I want to start drawing ponies, but my drawing skills absolutely suck, I've drawn some things in the past, but even with the help of a book that lets you trace the whole drawing it still came out horribly.

But I, really, really want to contribute to this fandom somehow.

Edited by Shadowking58

Well, I'm drawing ponies since I started to watch the show. At first, they looked like sick dogs with broken legs  :derp:  Now it's a little better, though I still have some problems with anatomy. My advice? Practice. There's no other way. It took me months to improve my skills and I still need to try harder, because I'm not happy with the results, but progress is visible. 

This was the first pony I've ever drawn. It took about 30 mins.

This is a month later, I've drawn a pony a week. Again, this one took about 30 mins.

Don't be intimidated by the awesome artists on this site, they all started out the same as you or me. They just drew everyday, and that is what it takes!  :proud:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

The way I do it is I print off a whole bunch of pictures of one type of character in different positions then I simplify it as in I draw over top of the picture with out lines like simple shapes I can see. then I grab a seperate sheet of paper and use all the other pictures as references. Tracing over a picture takes almost no skill so that way I can take the picture shape by shape with multiple views. this way I can make my own postions from the refereces and then I do a hard outline and erase the rest of the sketchy bits. Eventually after a while the shapes and porportions will just come naturally to you. But really the trick is to just draw all the time. even when your not feeling up to it do it any way. practice constantly thats the real trick.

I think I have the natural talent but I'm just not focused enough to practice. I get frustrated easily when something I'm working on isn't turning out as well as I thought it would. I can draw decent bodies, but it's manes and tails that really KO it. 

I was once told anyone can draw, they just need to bring out the creativity onto paper. And it takes 10,000 bad drawings to get a half decent one on paper.

I myself haven't completely mastered the art of drawing, but I know if I focus and keep at it, il sketch something that doesn't look like a swelled pile of shit shaped like a cat-dog!