Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

I don't like Flash Sentry, or any love interest because because it's been done over and over again in girls animation. One of the many reasons I like MLP, is because the main girl cast are independent, and aren't obsessing over boys, or talking about boys all the time. They have other interests besides that. Creating a love interest is pretty much like saying 'well, that's all girls care about is boyfriends, even someone as intelligent as Twilight is boy crazy'. It's very cliche, and Flash isn't even that well developed of a character. You don't see many boys cartoons where the main character only talks about girls, and obsesses over girls, and has to go through a makeover and a whole shopping spree to find the right outfit to get a girl (or they will lyke omg, just die without a date to the prom). 
If Flash was an interesting character, I probably wouldn't dislike him or the other love interests so much.

• Brohoof 1

I think Flash Sentry was a very unnecessary, and to be honest a very stupid subplot in EG. I also think a proper romantic interest for Twilight(if she should even have one)should be strong, smart, serious, charming, and have an excellent backstory. I hope Flash Sentry never reappears MLP.

@@Mantis01

As this thread deals with a character who had little impact in the show and seemingly deals with the human version I have moved it to Equestria Girls. In the future please keep in mind the proper placement of your threads.

Thanks. :)

Sorry to say this but Flash is arguably my least favorite character on the show (maybe Diamond Tiara depending on my mood). There are many reason, mostly cause he's a generic bland love interest for Twilight with no depth and is nothing more than a shallow stereotype of what is expected from the genre.

But for me the thing that ticks me off the most about him is that he was made SPECIFICALLY for Twilight. He has no identity or motivation outside of how he interacts with Twilight.  He was created with a big flashing sign over his head that read "Twilight's Boyfriend".   Basically they went about creating this character all wrong, they started with what he is instead of who he is and now that's really all I can see him as, what he is, which is a bland male love interest.  

And now that sign pretty much stops a lot of development with the character, at least for me.  Anything they add isn't just attempting to flesh him out, it now has an extra unintended subtext about what this would do to for his relationship with Twilight.  Basically he's now defined by that big neon sign overhead.  

At least that's how I feel on the matter. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate Flash. I just wish the writers would do something with him than being the subtle and rarely seen love interest.

Flash getting hate? The poor lad. He didn't even do a thing wrong mates. And why would those landlubbers want to pair their OC's with her anyway? Aye, I don't be understanding these people. Flash be fine with me lad.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

How the hell is it possible that there's hate directed to a character that barely appeared in the movies just to follow a "Teenz in skul fal in luv te firs dei" stereotype? 

Edited by ShadowBeam

I think Flash Sentry was a very unnecessary, and to be honest a very stupid subplot in EG. I also think a proper romantic interest for Twilight(if she should even have one)should be strong, smart, serious, charming, and have an excellent backstory. I hope Flash Sentry never reappears MLP.

be carefull what you wish for otherwise she end up with....a nice boy she with turns out to be a jerk bad guy

yeah thats really what people hold a grudge against flash sentry

Flash getting hate? The poor lad. He didn't even do a thing wrong mates. And why would those landlubbers want to pair their OC's with her anyway? Aye, I don't be understanding these people. Flash be fine with me lad.

i agree mostly because some fans have crush on twilight. Fun fact is that twilight have alot of waifu during the begining of its creation

but im more upset to see fans hold a hate against him just because well heres the list

1.jealous for him because hes twilight love interest

2.accused as waifu stealer. its just pathetic to accused him like that

3.been potrayed as a bad guy because some of equestrian bad guy they can turn into good guy but for flash they turn him into bad guy adn a monster

4.again hes been potrayed as a bad guy because of the rainbow rocks incident. the part where he yelled at twilght ignite a spark of hate among twilight waifu,lover and fans.

5.fans who hate him love to bullied him around.

thats all i can list from but im more sad to see twilight been treated like a toy...being among other fans who have a crush and waifu to twilight some people do...very wrong thing to her which is sad to see. when flash loves twilight they get jealous and hated him. when the rainbow rocks where the part he yelled at her, anger alot of waifu who wanted to steam out their anger at him. honestly i blame siren for making him like this...ironicly fans okay with siren who...hear this..fans loves the siren brainwash student but for flash who been under the siren influence didnt seems to care if he was brainwash or not they just making fun of him, making a mean meme about him that think its a joke.

im not laughing at all when i see what they did, pretty much is sad sight to see and the hate is out of control now...like seriously...people mention about flash sentry adn then poof...they express their hate and dislike towards him. hell some of them say they wanted flash go die in hell! oh my god that was really too much when i read one particular comments! 

i got the feeling the poor dude is sad right now because of hate he recevied towards him

(edited)

Yeah, as others have already stated. I don't see how Flash Sentry haters only hate him because he's Twilight's love interest, but because he was such a badly developed character. He served no purpose to the story what so ever, he was just there, playing guitar and helping Twilight with her "bullied" issues for a bit. Nothing more. He was kind of useless as a character, that has nothing to do with the love interest. Twilight can love whoever she wants, in my opinion. He's just quite the boring character in general.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

How the hell is it possible that there's hate directed to a character that barely appeared in the movies just to follow a "Teenz in skul fal in luv te firs dei" stereotype? 

what do you mean? can you explain?

Yeah, as others have already stated. I don't see how Flash Sentry haters only hate him because he's Twilight's love interest, but because he was such a badly developed character. He served no purpose to the story what so ever, he was just there, playing guitar and helping Twilight with her "bullied" issues for a bit. Nothing more. He was kind of useless as a character, that has nothing to do with the love interest. Twilight can love whoever she wants, in my opinion. He's just quite the boring character in general.

thats it? thats the reason what some think because hes a boring person/pony?

Guys, it doesn't matter because equestria girls is non-canon. We can just sit back, rest in peace and just act like it never existed, like we did with gens 1-3.5. But still though, I don't think twilight would fall for someone by bumping into them twice and saying less than 6 lines to them.

Well technically they are canon to the FiM universe as a whole; they just don't have an effect on the show itself. Similar to the comics, IIRC.

(edited)

Well technically they are canon to the FiM universe as a whole; they just don't have an effect on the show itself. Similar to the comics, IIRC.

[Removed]

Edited by kisamawaumagayaru
Can't delete posts

(edited)

thats it? thats the reason what some think because hes a boring person/pony?

I don't think that's it, but I know that's one of the reasons why people tend to hate on him so much. Because he didn't bring anything to the story, and he didn't do anything special. At least that's what I've heard from others, I don't think anything of him. I don't dislike him, neither do I really like him. I prefer him in pony form, however. Since he's a royal guard in that universe.

Edited by darkwingmare

Hate, is a strong word.

I wouldnt say I even dislike him.

I do however, find him INSANELY BOOOOOORING. The simple fact they made him into pretty much every stereotypical "lonar with a guitar" "popular dude bro" and I would assume a Jock, makes me roll my eyes. 

We all have been (or are in) Highschool, we know this persona. I personally find it grossly over used and a bit, well, lame.

:shrug: But I do not hate him, frankly, he role is NEEDED for the show to work the way it does.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

explain derpy then? she doesnt have much of character but still funny and what about sunset shimmer? explain that?

Edited by Brandonvortex

(edited)

explain derpy then? she doesnt have much of character but still funny and what about sunset shimmer? explain that?

Do you want to keep up a conversation with me here, or are you just trying to argue?

I could make a long post about why Sunset Shimmer and Derpy are better characters, but as I mentioned earlier, dear fellow brony... I don't have anything against Flash Sentry, neither do I like him. I'm very neutral when it comes to thoughts about Flash.

I'd like to ask you though, what do you think about the whole thing? Do you like Flash Sentry? If you do, why do you like him? If not, why don't you like him? 

I'm just curious.  :)

Edited by darkwingmare

(edited)

Do you want to keep up a conversation with me here, or are you just trying to argue?

I could make a long post about why Sunset Shimmer and Derpy are better characters, but as I mentioned earlier, dear fellow brony... I don't have anything against Flash Sentry, neither do I like him. I'm very neutral when it comes to thoughts about Flash.

I'd like to ask you though, what do you think about the whole thing? Do you like Flash Sentry? If you do, why do you like him? If not, why don't you like him? 

I'm just curious.  :)

i like him because hes just a nice guy/pony , just because hes a good guy doesnt mean he deserve anything that people say about it. sure hes doesnt have much of character development because of writer think they should well you know what i get there

but again like i said i like part about hes being rebel type person,a guitarist and a helpfull person 

yes maybe hes doesnt much of character but still hes still cool character

im just stop here. 

Edited by Brandonvortex

i like him because hes just a nice guy/pony , just because hes a good guy doesnt mean he deserve anything that people say about it. sure hes doesnt have much of character development because of writer think they should well you know what i get there

but again like i said i like part about hes being rebel type person,a guitarist and a helpfull person 

yes maybe hes doesnt much of character but still hes still cool character

im just stop here. 

Sounds like a good reason to like him to me. I respect your opinion, and you've got all rights to like him and think he's a good character.  :D  It's good to hear some positive things about him.

Sounds like a good reason to like him to me. I respect your opinion, and you've got all rights to like him and think he's a good character.  :D  It's good to hear some positive things about him.

thanks and im sorry about my outburst there by the way 

• Brohoof 1

explain derpy then?

There's a very big difference between them. Even though Derpy is a background/tertiary pony, shes's always doing something. Whatever she does, she's involved, reinforcing her sweet, innocent, childlike personality. Good characters don't need to speak to be really effective.

On the other hand, Flash Sentry is a secondary character. He's just as important as the ReMane Five, especially in EQG1. But he has absolutely no character; he's a plot device. No conflicts beyond his contrived love interest angle. No goals, either. He's perfect whose whole identity is to be her love interest. There's no chemistry between him and Twilight beyond her liking him because he looked hot in her eyes.

One dimensional cardboard cutout love interests are so beneath Friendship is Magic. When I see Rarity's one shot romances like Prince Blueblood and Trenderhoof, I expect at least that much quality put into romance characters.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The main reason bronies are hating on Flash is because he pair with Twilight and they want to pair their gary sue OCs with her. I find this Flash hate to be ridiculous, what wrong with Twilight having a crush on Flash and what wrong with he being on the series. It not like he was in love with Twilight in Equestria Girls, he just wanted to help Twilight. I get that bronies like Twilight Sparkle, I also like her as well, but not too much and don't want to pair her with a OC's character. Why would they want to pair their OC with her, why do they fall in her with Twilight, and why would Twilight like their OCs, she have to know them. Back to Flash Sentry, I really want to know about his character, his strength and weakness. I do want to see him in season five. 

But is that even your own idea? Or a joke you heard on Equestria Daily?

Rather than even acknowledge arguments made against Flash Sentry's character, you shield all arguments under this convenient half-truth that suits you.

Since you've already made up your mind on the "truth", you're not looking for a debate. You're looking for the inevitable masses of people with a similar opinion give you what you want, under the guise of it being an open-minded discussion. Very well then, I'll play along:

"You're right, I just love Flash sentry! He's such a charismatic, witty, deep and well-rounded character, with an intriguing story arc! I want to see more of him in the future! And anyone who says otherwise is simply a hater!"

EDIT: God dammit, it should've occurred to me that Mantis01 hasn't been active for almost a year now.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Yeah... well they do have a few points as flash being the 'ideal' person... just mr perfect... but still some take it too far

Tho this illustrates his faults nicely =)

tumblr_niu5yt4noa1rxd4wio1_540.jpgtumblr_niu5yt4noa1rxd4wio2_540.jpgtumblr_niu5yt4noa1rxd4wio3_540.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Suddenly bringing some guy out of nowhere feels rushed and pointless.

Yet every brony loves Shining Armor....It's just because people can't accept a cannon pairing because they want the character to themselves...