Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An Openly Gay Character on MLP

Visual Spectrum

If there was a homosexual character on the show, how would it affect your opinion on the show? 

I mean a mare who has a canon wife or fillyfriend or a stallion who has a canon husband or coltfriend. I don't mean one who will talk about homosexuality all the time. It is shown in the same way as a heterosexual couple like Mr. and Mrs. Cake. You know they are married, but they don't flaunt it around. They could be side ponies and not the focus of any episode. 

I personally would not have any other opinion. I may like Hasbro more for growing up and having a gay character, but I'm not going to think the show would be different. I don't think the show would change at all. 

This is in the debate pit because it seems to fit there most. 

• Brohoof 10

I'd be down with that, it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the show. Hasbro would get kudos from me.

They would never do it though, at least not in the near future. As of right now, it would generate too much controversy and potentially drive off their more conservative viewers. Hasbro isn't going to want to risk either of those things. They don't want to make waves, they just want viewers.

• Brohoof 1

My Little Pony isn't a battleground. Personally, I dont want someone else saying that gays are OK.. i'd rather tell my kids to treat others with respect..

Plus, the backlash could potentally hurt the show. Remember the Derpy thing? yeah, i figure it'd be much worse.

So in summery, can we keep political sensitive topics out of public shows, and one made for kids?

• Brohoof 8

Debate pit is actually reserved for non-MLP related topics.  Any discussion topics related to the show, even ones which might spark a heated debate, belong in the FiM section of the forum.  Since this topic seems to be talking about the show directly, I'll go ahead and move it to show discussion.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't think of MLP: FiM any differently if they had an openly gay character. I could even say that seeing a gay character in MLP: FiM would be a nice thing, but the chances of seeing one is unlikely.  It would definitely spark some controversy much like the Derpy incident.

Edited by Mienshao

I, personally, don't agree with homosexuality but they're ponies and the rule God made about homosexuality goes to humans.

Also the show is friggin fake.

But, do you remember that Good Luck Charlie riot that happened cuz they had an openly gay couple on there. It was a massacre too terrible to speak of on the internet. 

I, personally, don't want to see it cuz we have enough fanfiction of that.

• Brohoof 3

I would definitely appreciate the inclusion of a gay couple in MLP. A background couple with no lines would be fine. I wouldn't ask for something much different from Lyra and Bon Bon: they're frequently seen together, but have had absolutely no romantic interaction in the show. I'd enjoy seeing a quick nuzzle from two background ponies, but nothing further than that.

It wouldn't affect my opinion of the show by much, but I would certainly respect Hasbro a good deal more if they went through with something like this.

It'd be nice to see, but it's not something that really should be required or expected. MLP is a show for kids and Hasbro wants to continue making money from it. They will not risk entering into a controversial area.

Heck, She-Zow got plenty of hate from SOME of the more conservative people out there, so I can only imagine what would happen is a homosexual character was introduced.

I would love it if they brought in that being gay myself but I doubt a toy selling company like hasbro would risk that. You never know though, that Arthur spin off did an episode with a gay couple.

I would settle for a heavily HEAVILY implied relationship :3

• Brohoof 3

It's unnecessary drama that won't happen. I also don't think it's too necessary, although if it were a background thing or perhaps implied that might be the way to go

Edited by LZRD WZRD

I, personally, don't agree with homosexuality but they're ponies and the rule God made about homosexuality goes to humans.

Also the show is friggin fake.

But, do you remember that Good Luck Charlie riot that happened cuz they had an openly gay couple on there. It was a massacre too terrible to speak of on the internet. 

I, personally, don't want to see it cuz we have enough fanfiction of that.

Lol.

With fanfiction anything is possible.

Also, I'm a Christian too, but on the case of homosexuality I do not let religion determine what other people should consider as moral.

Religion aside, the natural moral law now a days is something like this:

"If it isn't harming you or anyone else, it is considered moral."

That being said, I do not press my agenda on other people.

If they ask me my stance on the issue I will tell them.

• Brohoof 5

You know the soccermoms all across the country are going to flip their shit if this happens, and I can't tell if that's a plus or not. Honestly though, gay couple on FiM? That's a hell yes from me.

• Brohoof 3

Imagine how impressively progressive Hasbro would seem? Imagine how it would be if this gay couple was a normal, happy couple and no one in this cartoon show thought anything was wrong with that. Damn, imagine how the children watching would grow up thinking that homosexuality was something normal (as it is). I think we should have an openly gay character.

• Brohoof 11

It reminds me of how Gargoyles fans thought a character implied that he was gay for another gargoyle.  Then at some convention, one of the writers or something said that a male characters did have a crush on another male character.  Is it canon? Probably is, probably not.

I hope I worded that right, I haven't seen or remembered an episode of Gargoyles since I was a kid.

As for the post, I would like it.  The tolerant people of this thread and open minded people would like it.  However, making it prominent in the show would be bad and it would get canceled or modded like the derpy episode.  I would say there should be brief 2 or 3 second flashes of like two colts close together or drinking out of the same cup with two straws.  Something simple.  Making secondary characters would be bad, repeated background characters would be risky, but one appearance in the far background would be ok. 

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, the fact that we still have to talk about this shows how far we have yet to come. I look forward to the day that placing gay characters in a show doesn't have to be thought about.

• Brohoof 8

I love the idea, but unfortunately this will never happen. After what happened to Derpy, there's no way they would get away with this... (or maybe if he/she's a background pony...)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

Less children will be able to watch it due to religion. And it isn't exactly what the show is for. That's kinda aiming for a higher age audience, and I very much doubt hasbro would do this.

• Brohoof 2