Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is honesty a family trait?

ggg-2

Yes, yes, it's common knowledge that when the Elements of Harmony were still a factor in the show, Applejack was the element of honesty, and she, in fact, still represents honesty to this day. But do you think honesty is as important to the rest of the Apple family as it is to Applejack herself?

• Brohoof 1

I'd think honesty is important to most of the Apple family, but not quite as much as the element of honesty herself. I like to imagine that AJ's parents impressed on her the importance of honesty before they passed, and that's why she takes it so seriously.

Edited by Banul

The apple family are simple folk. and they are family so they don't need to lie to each other so honesty just comes to them more naturally as a result.

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

The apple family are simple folk. and they are family so they don't need to lie to each other so honesty just comes to them more naturally as a result.

^ Exactly. They're so close that they don't need to lie or hide anything from each other, Also, they're proud of who they are and what they do, so it's only natural that they value honesty. It's just part of who they are what they believe in. 

^ Exactly. They're so close that they don't need to lie or hide anything from each other, Also, they're proud of who they are and what they do, so it's only natural that they value honesty. It's just part of who they are what they believe in.

Somepony To Watch Over Me was all ABOUT lying and keeping secrets.

Same with Pinkie Apple Pie, if you all consider Pinks as an Apple.

Somepony To Watch Over Me was all ABOUT lying and keeping secrets.

Same with Pinkie Apple Pie, if you all consider Pinks as an Apple.

No, it wasn't. Having secrets or wishing to be seen in a good light isn't lying. It was AJ's perfectionism and overprotectivness, completely different things.

Also, expecting from Applejack to be always honest in every moment of her life and about everything is just wrong, because it means that people (or other characters from the show) don't let her have her privacy and just be a person, who sometimes makes mistakes.

• Brohoof 1

No, it wasn't. Having secrets or wishing to be seen in a good light isn't lying. It was AJ's perfectionism and overprotectivness, completely different things.

Also, expecting from Applejack to be always honest in every moment of her life and about everything is just wrong, because it means that people (or other characters from the show) don't let her have her privacy and just be a person, who sometimes makes mistakes.

I'm talking about Apples in general, guy.

Firstly, I'm a girl. And I still disagree, because I didn't see them lying in any of the mentioned episodes.

Applebloom was keeping her escaping from room a secret

The entire Apple family was keeping a secret from Pinkie, mostly the one about them squabbling all the time.

Not saying that they aren't honest. But saying that they never keep secrets is bleh, because at the end of the day, they're family, and as shown at throughout Pinkie Apple Pie, they still squabble.

/irrelevant. Guy is a sexually ambiguous term the way I use it

It's like saying "friend" to someone, but for situations that don't call for the word "friend" to be used.

Edited by Dattebayo

Applebloom was keeping her escaping from room a secret

The entire Apple family was keeping a secret from Pinkie, mostly the one about them squabbling all the time.

Not saying that they aren't honest. But saying that they never keep secrets is bleh, because at the end of the day, they're family, and as shown at throughout Pinkie Apple Pie, they still squabble.

When I said that they don't hide anything from each other, I didn't mean it so literally. There's nothing bad or dishonest in having secrets (it's even healthy, because others don't really need to know everything about you and your life). Apple Bloom wasn't keeping her escaping a secret, because she wanted to cheat or not be honest with Applejack - she just knew that AJ wouldn't approve her actions and was determined to prove that she is responsible enough to stay alone on the farm. It wasn't a good choice, of course, but she's just a child and she thought it's a good idea. And when they tried to hid the fact that they argue from Pinkie - they didn't want to cheat her or anything. They were just determined to show her good sides of being a member of their family, but it was getting harder and harder to keep smiling. Keeping secrets technically isn't lying (can be, but it depends on situations). And as I said - it shouldn't be treated so literally. I for one like the fact that season 4 showed us that Apple Family isn't always perfect, because it was very unbelievable. But it's the problem with honesty in general. It's impossible to be always 100% honest. Even if you're the Element of Honesty or her family. 

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that "important" is the right word, and I say that because it seems as if the idea of honesty is more or less ingrained into the foundation of the Apple family all together. It is important to the Apple family, no doubt, because (with the occasional lie from Apple Bloom) the truth is all the Apple family seems to speak, not just Applejack