Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pony Took Band Back In High School?

Shine Racer

I took band for four years in high school, I played the Trumpet and later I played the Bass Drum till I graduated. I just loved traveling with the band to the football games, Especially the playoff games it was so much fun.

Percussion Is Best Section!

• Brohoof 1

Probably not, considering Ponies can't play instruments let alone attend human band classes.

I sure did, though! I played the euphonium in middle school and the first two years of High School. In sophomore year they needed someone to teach the trombone, so I learned it over a weekend and started teaching it to the freshman  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Probably not, considering Ponies can't play instruments let alone attend human band classes.

I sure did, though! I played the euphonium in middle school and the first two years of High School. In sophomore year they needed someone to teach the trombone, so I learned it over a weekend and started teaching it to the freshman  :lol:

Any pony I meant "anyone" btw

And that's good! Did you get a chance to travel with the football team with your band in high school?

And plus you actually tault the younger students, That's nice. :)

• Brohoof 1

I don't know, those look like two separate words in the title to me  ;)

I didn't actually do marching band, I was in concert band mostly. Why a Euphonium in concert band and not a Baritone? No idea :D

As for teaching, it was definitely fun, if a little weird since I was kind of learning too.

"Hey [Tenor], what is the slide position for an A flat?"

"...that's a very good question."

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

Oh well :P

Concert band huh, All we had was Marching Band and Concert Band actually.

We usually got First Division like every single year when I was in school, Especially in Marching Band.

Marching Band was my favorite

Lol, So you were the teacher and was still learning yourself of course.

Well now. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm still a high schooler and no longer in band, but I was in band in Jr. High :D I played the Flute because I wanted to sit by girls :please:

...of course, I ended up sitting 2nd chair between two dudes, because I'm arguably the most unlucky person on the face of the earth :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Lol, So you were the teacher and was still learning yourself of course.

Well now. :P

Haha, yeah, it was essentially me teaching myself in the corner for a few minutes and then "relaying" the information to the group; they were none the wiser  :smug: .

The band that year actually sounded terrible (new teacher, had no idea what she was doing) but the trombones were the best. Yes, I'm biased.

And I just realized that happened Junior year, not Sophomore. Memory is weird.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm still a high schooler and no longer in band, but I was in band in Jr. High :D I played the Flute because I wanted to sit by girls :please:

...of course, I ended up sitting 2nd chair between two dudes, because I'm arguably the most unlucky person on the face of the earth :lol:

Dang lol so you just wanted to sit by the girls huh but ended up sitting in between two guys instead

Band fail lol

Haha, yeah, it was essentially me teaching myself in the corner for a few minutes and then "relaying" the information to the group; they were none the wiser  :smug: .

The band that year actually sounded terrible (new teacher, had no idea what she was doing) but the trombones were the best. Yes, I'm biased.

And I just realized that happened Junior year, not Sophomore. Memory is weird.

So music related, How's everything going for you know?

Edited by Shainresa11
  • Brohoof 1

I was in the school band in middle school playing both piano and xylophone of course when I really had fun was in my high school jazz band. I took all sorts of field trips to perform in quite a few concerts.

• Brohoof 1

Currently in my last year of school, and yes!! I play Percussion. Of all of the vast assortment of instruments I can get my grimy hooves on, my favorites are Timpani and Quad-Toms.

edit:  I forgot to mention that I am also proficient in flute and baritone. I spend way too much time in the instrument room.

Edited by Spirk Burkham
  • Brohoof 2

What I meant is that I don't really play music that isn't metal.

Ooh I see, They didn't play what interest you.

Currently in my last year of school, and yes!! I play Percussion. Of all of the vast assortment of instruments I can get my grimy hooves on, my favorites are Timpani and Quad-Toms.

Sweet! One thing we have in common but I never played the Timpani actually or the Quad-Toms. :\

• Brohoof 1

Well, I did play the sax for a bit. Still do in fact. I started back in 4th grade, played through middle school and high school in concert band. I joined jazz band, marching band and pit orchestra in high school. Thought about continuing in college, but decided against it. I still play my horn, and I dabble a bit in guitar as well. Not to mention I have a set of pipes in a singing voice. That, and I still write lyrics and poetry on occasion.

Edit: Alto, Tenor, Bari, Soprano... if it was a sax, I played it, and I played it like no tomorrow. I actually received a few jazz awards and solo awards as a result.

Edited by Smash N Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I went to band for 4 years, even though my last year didn't have any credits associated with it. It was a really nice way to finish off the day. I played the clarinet and still do. We played a lot of movie songs and fun songs we could get into. The class favourite (and mine as well) was "he's a pirate" from pirates of the caribbean, everyone played their parts with such gusto! I think we even gave the string section a run for their money with that one.

Maybe I'll join the local symphony once I'm done with college, I'd love to really get back into playing again.

Psh... Not just in high school!

I plated trumpet from 5th grade through 12th!
(And, yeah, I know... we are/were the annoying one's of band, hahaha).

Our band had ~40 kids, give or take, in high school.  And, when I was an upperclassmen, the trumpet section was meek, with only like 6 players.  Now, some might say "LOL six out of forty is enough trumpets" buuut oh no, you see, 4 of the six were shy players.  Basically, my senior year, it was myself and my good friend [whom we'll fakely just name "Billy" for the sake of his anonymity]... that we're the loud ones.  "Billy" and I basically pulled the trumpet section.  Oddly enough, we (he and I) were still looked at by the woodwinds with faces that said *would you ease up on the damn volume, trumpets?* lol.

I miss band.  It's been too long.  Marching, Pep, and Concert band, all the same.  

I also miss drama/theatre (plays).  Seems like band geeks and theatre geeks were all one in the same [kind of people].  

High school AND junior high; actually. I played trumpet throughout my band career; including the junior high jazz band. Unfortunately, I ended up stopping when I went into college. I always regret that decision... :(

But still, I have many good memories. :)

• Brohoof 1

I played tuba from 7th grade to 12th. During marching season I played a sousaphone. My senior year I was the section leader so I was tasked with leading the other tuba players. By lead, they meant babysit the underclassmen. My best memory was senior year, my best friend and I had been playing tuba for years and we got a serious case of senioritis. Our director wanted us to wear berets because the regular marching hats were too tall and would hit the bell of the sousaphone. It was our senior year, we didn't care anymore, and there was no way in hell we were wearing those fruity berets. So we told the director we weren't going to wear them. Of course he got pissed and said any member not in full uniform couldn't play. Well when all 6 of us showed up to the football game sans berets, he didn't think we'd call his bluff so he let us play. That whole season we were the only members without hats.

Most definitely.

Did it since 6th grade, did marching band from 9th to sophomore in college. Loved everything about it (except fundraiser and hot rehearsals lol). My junior year was my favorite band-wise; I had a lot of friends at that point; I was improving musician-wise; farthest trips than any other year; music (duh!). I'm just in my university's basketball band now (not yet auditioned, but it's easy getting in).

• Brohoof 1

High school AND junior high; actually. I played trumpet throughout my band career; including the junior high jazz band. Unfortunately, I ended up stopping when I went into college. I always regret that decision... :(

But still, I have many good memories. :)

And how exactly did you regret your decision by stopping as you went to college?

I thought maybe you could have carried it on into college and played in the band there.

Most definitely.

Did it since 6th grade, did marching band from 9th to sophomore in college. Loved everything about it (except fundraiser and hot rehearsals lol). My junior year was my favorite band-wise; I had a lot of friends at that point; I was improving musician-wise; farthest trips than any other year; music (duh!). I'm just in my university's basketball band now (not yet auditioned, but it's easy getting in).

Yes my friend, Having to rehearse out in 90+ degree weather that was the only thing I hated about high school band, But it was all fun in the end though.

• Brohoof 2

And how exactly did you regret your decision by stopping as you went to college?

I thought maybe you could have carried it on into college and played in the band there.

Well, when I was going into college, one of my main fears was that I wouldn't have time for studies, band, AND personal time. That might be due to my high school teachers giving is college horror stories & all, but in the end, I stopped my band career after I graduated high school.

After graduating college, I feel that I could've made time for all of it, but it is what it is at this point.

• Brohoof 1

Well, when I was going into college, one of my main fears was that I wouldn't have time for studies, band, AND personal time. That might be due to my high school teachers giving is college horror stories & all, but in the end, I stopped my band career after I graduated high school.

After graduating college, I feel that I could've made time for all of it, but it is what it is at this point.

Oh I see what you mean, It would have been hard on your schedule and seriously cut into time for studying.

So you pretty much just took the easy way out.

Oh I see what you mean, It would have been hard on your schedule and seriously cut into time for studying.

So you pretty much just took the easy way out.

Yeah, you could say that. Now-a-days I think I could've made it work, but whatever. ^^