Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pony Took Band Back In High School?

Shine Racer

I played clarinet in Middle School but then stopped after the first year or so.  I'm in Junior year of High School now and I self taught myself how to play the guitar instead  :yay:

DID SOMEONE SAY BAND!?

Yeah, i'm a band nerd, i'm in marching band right now, i'm a junior, and I love band :D

I play the Trumpet, and have since like 5th 6th grade, But I was in a homeschool band program until 8th grade, which I joined the public school one.

I was 1st chair Trumpet in middle school, although that was really only because the band director liked me a lot, and the other Trumpets who challenged my chair were both not very good with playing alone, and would get nervous and freak out.

The others never challenged me, so while I don't think I was really that good, I still ended up with first chair.

Oh and my first day of band class in 8th grade when I joined, I hadn't played Trumpet in a year, and I couldn't remember anything, so I ended up crying out of fruseration and nervousness(This was also only like my 2nd week of public school, so I wasn't anywhere near to adapted to it, trust me that was a change, but that's another story)

Regardless, band in middle school was fun, then came high school, I almost didn't join band in highschool, but I decided to try it, and I did marching and concert band. 

At first, I didn't know what I was doing, I couldn't march worth anything, (honestly i'm still meh.) I was quite confused on many things, and not to mention nervous.

But by the close of band camp, I knew one thing.

I loved band.

My band director is awesome, and all of our band members are awesome, it's kinda like one big family. 

My band director is awesome for many reasons, but mainly because she is very good with having a mix between fun, and serious time, and switching between the two. She even told me my freshman year that she likes to make sure that we have time for fun, and time for serious.

And I think it works out well, because we have an awesome time acting like fools(Our band director even joins in many times.) and we also have times where we are serious, and we get work done!

I could tell you many a story from band i'm sure, and many more that I may not remember that well, but I'll spare you my rambling.

But yeah, I love band. Last year we got 8th place at showcase(our big state wide band thingy) which is the highest we've ever got there. So that was pretty awesome :D.

This year, our show is Patriotic themed, and it's pretty awesome thus far. We haven't preformed it yet, since we haven't had a competition or football game, but I know it'll be good :).

I'd also like to throw in that ironically I don't really have much of the Trumpet ego, I actually have a lot of self confidence issues ironically ;p. While others may compliment me, I still think i'm one of the worst, if not worst Trumpets in our band. 

To be fair, we have a lot of really good Trumpet players though. 

I'm sure I'm probably being hard on myself, I did get bottom part on the trumpet trio we had last year, so there's that. But that's mostly because of my ability to blend well. I'll give myself that.

Anyways, i'm rambling, Tl;dr, I love band! I wish i could do it forever! It's the part of highschool that makes things worth it!

I already cry at the end of the season every year when the seniors give their end of the year speeches, so I don't know what i'll do when I have to leave.

But regardless, better to enjoy every moment now!

Ps. I also am learning guitar, and have been practicing singing for a while. I have a keyboard that I will also learn eventually.

Yeah I did band through all the years of middle school and high school. Played the xylophone, learned to read music that way and it also taught me to read piano music. I played the piano self-taught before that, so doing the xylophone and piano hand in hand worked when reading music. 

For left hand play for piano though, I translated to bass clef into treble clef x3 because I do things the difficult way at times because it's easier for me

After I graduated, I specialized in learning Final Fantasy music to play on the piano. Played the ending theme to Final Fantasy X, Eternity from Final Fantasy X-2, and River Bell Path from FF: Crystal Chronicles.

Edited by LightningMana