Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Past Generation Involvement in G4

Nom de Plume

15 users have voted

1. 1. Was Tirek used too early?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please explain?)

So I can't be the only one who loves both G1 and G4 on here, and godness knows there's plenty of G1 I'd like to add.  What aspects of past generations would you guys like to see appear in G4?

Personally, I'd like to see more nods to G1.  A tapestry depicting Meagan, Firefly, and all the rest would be cool, but something stronger is still more appealing.  A real explanation for why the Rainbow Bridge isn't there anymore, or at least a history connecting G1's cartoon to G3's, hopefully involving the G2 toyline, for instance.

• Brohoof 2

They already removed the chance of a canon Rainbow of Light, but it doesn't mean that G1 still can't be connected. I would love to see a mention of G1 ponies somewhere.
I would actually like Smooze to come back, of all villains. His "force of nature" styling is much better than Sombra's, and could lead to interesting scenarios.
Squirk is a close second,especially with the world building his presence would create.
Edit: in answer to the poll question, it's not that I think Tirek was used early, but used wrong. His presence was more threatening when he was weaker; after absorbing magic, he became more of "the big dumb guy". I expected a bit more from him.

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 1

Eeyup.

Tirek was and still IS the biggest baddie in the MLP franchise, still holding up the throne even 28 years after G1.

G4 could have used him as a final boss. He's basically Satan after all, a creepy guy that corrupts people.

Well, anyways I was happy to see him.

G4 kinda made up to his honor, though stealing Arabus characteristics was VERY cheap. If I want Tirek in G4, it has to be Tirek, not Arabus. Why do these good writers ALWAYS have to do stupid villains? IT'S SO DISAPPOINTING! The villains were the highlight of G1, always evil, always threatening, even those who were silly were incredibly fearsome.

But hey, at least Tirek is now best G4 villain, and not that chocolate-rain guy, whatever his name is...

For me personally Somnambula and Nightshade were the creepiest bad guys. I know Nightshade was just a tool, but the effect of stealing shadows was HELLA creepy and the way Nightshade was manipulated and also had that angry mob come after him was like WTF. I guess G4 has kinda used the "steal shadow" effect with Tirek. But those two villains really stayed with me because of their creepiness and the way they lied and manipulated the ponies. Yeah Tirek just took what he wanted...Nightshade was like friggin' child exploitation + stealing your soul, and Somnambula was imo every kid's nightmare lol, she scared the hell out of me.

• Brohoof 1

Eeyup.

Tirek was and still IS the biggest baddie in the MLP franchise, still holding up the throne even 28 years after G1.

G4 could have used him as a final boss. He's basically Satan after all, a creepy guy that corrupts people.

Well, anyways I was happy to see him.

G4 kinda made up to his honor, though stealing Arabus characteristics was VERY cheap. If I want Tirek in G4, it has to be Tirek, not Arabus. Why do these good writers ALWAYS have to do stupid villains? IT'S SO DISAPPOINTING! The villains were the highlight of G1, always evil, always threatening, even those who were silly were incredibly fearsome.

But hey, at least Tirek is now best G4 villain, and not that chocolate-rain guy, whatever his name is...

While Tirek is my favorite villain (g4) of all gens, I dont think Discord deserves that, sure he wasnt UBER GRIMDARK IN a little girls cartoon, but he was fun and gave a lot of entertainment, I want to see more villains that are evil like tirek, or in between discord and tirek. But they couldnt do tirek like gen 1 sense NMM filled that slot. Also I STILL dont see why you think g1 villains were all that great, I mean ya they were intimidating (sort of) and did truly reak of evil, but thats it basically. Can I get a full explanation on why you seem to love the generation 1 villains so much, Im not trying to be mean or anything Im just confused :/

While Tirek is my favorite villain (g4) of all gens, I dont think Discord deserves that, sure he wasnt UBER GRIMDARK IN a little girls cartoon, but he was fun and gave a lot of entertainment, I want to see more villains that are evil like tirek, or in between discord and tirek. But they couldnt do tirek like gen 1 sense NMM filled that slot. Also I STILL dont see why you think g1 villains were all that great, I mean ya they were intimidating (sort of) and did truly reak of evil, but thats it basically. Can I get a full explanation on why you seem to love the generation 1 villains so much, Im not trying to be mean or anything Im just confused :/

Weird, your response didn't show up in my notifications. Huh... 

Well, I think the G1 villains are much superior because:

1.Some of them were human/humanoid, which adds the creepiness factor. Tirek in G1 looked creepier with the human face than his monkey-cow face on G4.

2.Some of them were Hyper powerful, there were at least two villains superior to Discord and Tirek in G4, Lavan in his crystal form and the Smooze, both were invincible.

3.To achieve their goal they would go beyond the necessary, Lavan almost sent his minions to throw some ponies into a volcano just because he didn't get what he wanted. Though, Lavan was by far the most hilarious of the evilest ones.This guys appears for the first time surfing into a Tsunami of lava. You have to admit, that is pretty awesome.

4.Some of the older villains had a reason to be evil, or they were corrupted by power, like Katrina or King Charlatan. Both saw their mistakes and redeemed theirselves.

5.Some were just animals or manipulated creatures, like the Smooze or Crunch the Rock Dog(who inspired the Diamond Dogs)

The only villains I can say sucked were the bullies from G2. Like most bullies, they are unnecessary and just plain stupid, characters made to be unlikeable. Though they were less painful than Diamond Tiara.

For me personally Somnambula and Nightshade were the creepiest bad guys. I know Nightshade was just a tool, but the effect of stealing shadows was HELLA creepy and the way Nightshade was manipulated and also had that angry mob come after him was like WTF. I guess G4 has kinda used the "steal shadow" effect with Tirek. But those two villains really stayed with me because of their creepiness and the way they lied and manipulated the ponies. Yeah Tirek just took what he wanted...Nightshade was like friggin' child exploitation + stealing your soul, and Somnambula was imo every kid's nightmare lol, she scared the hell out of me.

Heh, Somnambula was basically the Wicked Witch of the West of MLP.

Weird, your response didn't show up in my notifications. Huh... 

Well, I think the G1 villains are much superior because:

1.Some of them were human/humanoid, which adds the creepiness factor. Tirek in G1 looked creepier with the human face than his monkey-cow face on G4.

2.Some of them were Hyper powerful, there were at least two villains superior to Discord and Tirek in G4, Lavan in his crystal form and the Smooze, both were invincible.

3.To achieve their goal they would go beyond the necessary, Lavan almost sent his minions to throw some ponies into a volcano just because he didn't get what he wanted. Though, Lavan was by far the most hilarious of the evilest ones.This guys appears for the first time surfing into a Tsunami of lava. You have to admit, that is pretty awesome.

4.Some of the older villains had a reason to be evil, or they were corrupted by power, like Katrina or King Charlatan. Both saw their mistakes and redeemed theirselves.

5.Some were just animals or manipulated creatures, like the Smooze or Crunch the Rock Dog(who inspired the Diamond Dogs)

The only villains I can say sucked were the bullies from G2. Like most bullies, they are unnecessary and just plain stupid, characters made to be unlikeable. Though they were less painful than Diamond Tiara.

Heh, Somnambula was basically the Wicked Witch of the West of MLP.

Good reasons I suppose, buuut I prefer people who arent mega evil (sort of like lavan) but Im thinking more of a discord OR maybe someone like bill cipher (gravity falls) he was hilarious, all knowing, and he had the power to back him up. Or they could just give me more tirek, or hades, or an ursa major,

Edited by ryanmahaffe

Good reasons I suppose, buuut I prefer people who arent mega evil (sort of like lavan) but Im thinking more of a discord OR maybe someone like bill cipher (gravity falls) he was hilarious, all knowing, and he had the power to back him up. Or they could just give me more tirek, or hades, or an ursa major,

The concept of a pony-equivalent of Bill is both frightening and intriguing.  However, he requires a  certain level of subtlety to work properly, something I don't see MLP ever quite getting.

I didn't mean the Rainbow of Light, I meant the bridge Meagan used to get across to Ponyland.  The one Firefly and Medley would slide down in the opening.  Although the Elements and this new 'Rainbow Power' thing bear a striking similarity to the Rainbow of Light.  Maybe the Tree of Harmony had something to do with Meagan?  Or maybe the locket was another 'fruit' of the tree?  I seem to remember the Moochick telling her it was only a piece of the Rainbow in 'Rescue at Midnight Castle,' but it was considered the whole thing in later episodes.  I can't even doublecheck myself now, though, and the wiki's chock-full of holes.  *sigh*  Renewed patents are irritating.

• Brohoof 1

The concept of a pony-equivalent of Bill is both frightening and intriguing.  However, he requires a  certain level of subtlety to work properly, something I don't see MLP ever quite getting.

I didn't mean the Rainbow of Light, I meant the bridge Meagan used to get across to Ponyland.  The one Firefly and Medley would slide down in the opening.  Although the Elements and this new 'Rainbow Power' thing bear a striking similarity to the Rainbow of Light.  Maybe the Tree of Harmony had something to do with Meagan?  Or maybe the locket was another 'fruit' of the tree?  I seem to remember the Moochick telling her it was only a piece of the Rainbow in 'Rescue at Midnight Castle,' but it was considered the whole thing in later episodes.  I can't even doublecheck myself now, though, and the wiki's chock-full of holes.  *sigh*  Renewed patents are irritating.

I dont want meagan to EVER be mentioned in g4, I hope in the official timeline she was beaten to death by Hades

I dont want meagan to EVER be mentioned in g4, I hope in the official timeline she was beaten to death by Hades

Megan wasn't so bad in the beginning, it's only later that she starts to take a backseat to the ponies in later episode.

Megan wasn't so bad in the beginning, it's only later that she starts to take a backseat to the ponies in later episode.

I hated her SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, so bland,such dull, BOOOOOOORING

Edited by ryanmahaffe

I hated her SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, so bland,such dull, BOOOOOOORING

Okay, we get it, you hated her.  Personally, I loved her in Midnight Castle, but I agree that she lost a lot of potential as the series went on.  You're still being kinda extreme here.  I mean, 'beaten to death?'  Seriously?  There are a number of cartoon characters I can't stand, but I still don't wish death on them.  Er, most of them, anyway.

A mention would be nice, is all I'm saying.  She'd be long dead, no matter what side of the bridge she was on when it collapsed or whatever, so there's no concern of her actually appearing in the show.

• Brohoof 1

A mention would be nice, is all I'm saying. She'd be long dead, no matter what side of the bridge she was on when it collapsed or whatever, so there's no concern of her actually appearing in the show.

I don't think it will ever happen, I guess Ponyland and Equestria aren't in the same dimension.

Okay, we get it, you hated her.  Personally, I loved her in Midnight Castle, but I agree that she lost a lot of potential as the series went on.  You're still being kinda extreme here.  I mean, 'beaten to death?'  Seriously?  There are a number of cartoon characters I can't stand, but I still don't wish death on them.  Er, most of them, anyway.

A mention would be nice, is all I'm saying.  She'd be long dead, no matter what side of the bridge she was on when it collapsed or whatever, so there's no concern of her actually appearing in the show.

This isnt the same world as g4, they just reference it now and then, so she cant be mentiones, also they dont know what humans are outside of EqG, but beaten to death isnt that harsh, at least not compared to what else I want to see done to her (dont take that the wrong way)

What if ....

Megan is Celestia and Molly is Luna!

J/k

I want to see the Smooze ... but perhaps with little personification. Drop the faces maybe. Make it a unnatural force of devestation like 'The Nothing' in Never Ending Story.

• Brohoof 1

Ooooh, that sounds epic.  I never watched the movie; I went straight from the pilot to the series.  The Smooze was one of the reasons for that, I'll admit.  I just... Couldn't take it seriously.  Fanworks I've read/seen later, though, have made it seem a lot more terrifying.

Neverending Story influences my nightmares to this day, BTW.

Honestly, as long as we get to see Grogar in G4, then I'd be happy. I felt he was quite the awesome villain in "Return of Tambelon."

• 1 month later...

Hello all! >_<

I was satisfied with Tirek's appearance but he could have lived up to his nightmare-inducing self of the 80's a little better.

I did get excited when they mentioned Scorpan, for a brief moment I thought they were gonna dig up the original Dream Castle for Twilight to live in "sigh" hahaha if only..

It'd be pretty cool to see Katrina or the Smooze make a return. Tirek is the best G4 villain to date in my opinion. I know a lot of G1 fans would love to see some old villains. Oh yeah, and they showed Tirek, so Scorpan needs to have an appearance, too.

• Brohoof 1

I wanna see Flutterponies from G1 in G4. And characters StarCatcher, Toola Roola, Surprise, and Silver Glow from G1 and G3 in G4, eventually.

OMG flutterponies for sure! i remember the wings on the toy flutterponies would break off super easily snif snif..

It'd be pretty cool to see Katrina or the Smooze make a return. Tirek is the best G4 villain to date in my opinion. I know a lot of G1 fans would love to see some old villains. Oh yeah, and they showed Tirek, so Scorpan needs to have an appearance, too.

Katrina was a great villain, that whole tv special was great. I think she could be well adapted to G4

• Brohoof 1

I want the revamped characters to be done right. The Breezies were pathetic in comparison to the majestic Flutterponies, and G4 Tirek showed to be more of an insult to the entire first Generation more than anything.

He had NOTHING of the original Tirek. McCarthy disappointed me here.

• Brohoof 1

I want the revamped characters to be done right. The Breezies were pathetic in comparison to the majestic Flutterponies... (snip)

The Breezies were from G3, and weren't that far off of how they were portrayed then. They weren't Flutterponies, because the writers/artists of G3.x had some issues telling flutterponies and pegasi apart. In G3.5 animations *all* pegasi suddenly became flutterponies for no apparent reason.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno.  Personally, I felt the Flutterponies were overrated.  I mean, the whole 'Utter-Flutter' thing just struck me as... Overpowered.  I'd like to see the Breezies turned into something a little more in-between what they are now and their Flutterpony predecessors.  Not in G4, obviously, but maybe in G5 or G6.

Does anybody else recall Scorpan turning into a human king of somesort at the end of 'Midnight Castle?'  Maybe I'm just crazy, but it's something I seem to remember, and would like to confirm, if possible.