Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media What brought you to join fandoms?

Vemillia Nightshade

Fandoms  

46 users have voted

1. 1. What fandoms are you in?

• Furry Fandom
    • Pony Fandom
    • Anime Fandoms
    • Other Fandoms (Anything I couldn't think of that isn't the above)
  2. 2. Why are you in a Fandom(s)?

• To be popular!
    • To find others who enjoy my same interests!
    • To find those who are like a second family.
    • To enjoy new experiences outside the usual routine.
    • To seek those with open minds with opinions that may add to facts.
    • Other

When I think about fandoms, I think about not only the controversy and theories these fandoms bring up, but I also look at the reasons why we join such groups. Is it for attention and popularity. Is it to seek others with similar interests, or is it something more?

Me persoanaly, I see people in the fandoms I join as family. I look beyond what makes them different and treat them as individuals. While we will always have a few classic and expected black sheep, even they play a role in what our fandoms are. I love am one who has been open minded since I began to walk a path spirituality and I've began to see the pros and cons of our world. Fandoms are by far more a positive thing than a negative thing when it comes to what we like and enjoy. We all are together in liking something similarly, if not entirely. Yes fandom war will break out but they rarely harm anything other then the pride and ego of those that do battle. It's not like we all will become unibombers and destroy the world for not seeing our vision. That is what makes me pissed off about those who refuse to understand fandoms. It's a fear of the unknown. No I'm not saying all who are not fond of certain fandoms are bad. Oh no. That is something we as people part of a fandom and those that are not part of one need to understand. Well, enough of my rambling. What do you think? Why did you join the fandoms you did? I kinda gave you my reasoning and a bit of a rant on the basis of fandom. Sorry, I didn't intend on it taking this long.

• Brohoof 3

Well, I of course join to further my goal of a all M'iaq empire. A ever expanding empire that seeks to control all fandom's and unite them under one glorious empire of the Liar.

But other than that, I join fandoms to meet and talk with other fans of media I enjoy. It is always great to go out and meet others who share atleast one common interest, and I can have conversations and discussions on the media that we are all fans of. Some may join it as a social group, to find friends as it is easier to find friends that share common interests and goals, and have often gone through similar life experiences.

I enjoy the Pony fandom (obviously) and i used to be a bit more active on the mass effect fandom. When there was a mass effect fandom. It's all mush now. But to answer your question, i joined because in real life i have no friends that like MLP. So i figured hey, might as well make some friends then... worked for Twilight sparkle, anyway.

Edited by Terminus
  • Brohoof 1

I have always liked ponies since I was small.I saw the new generation come out, curiously I watched the first two episodes and was immediately hooked in the show.I found out I had more in common with Pinkie Pie which got me even more interested.

• Brohoof 1

Well quite honestly I just accidentally bumped into this fandom / show out of the blue. I find it funny how myself even got into the in the first place. 

Now I am here and I do love this place I've changed for the better as a person after liking this show and I have become so much more open minded.

• Brohoof 1

Well 

I have always been into the previous generations G1 G2 (the toys) and even G3 so it's no huge surprise...so I was surfing the internet when I came across My little pony friendship is magic episode 1 and 2 I smiled to the fact there was a new mlp so I watched it to see what it was like...I noticed the similarities of Friendship is magic part 1 and 2 to Escape from Midnight castle (best G1 episode :3) along with noticing the slight similarities of Tirek and Nightmare Moon 

I just thought I never saw a show with such backstory and main this deep the characters seem to be well written oh and I remember Pinkie Pie 

but to be honest this MLP changed me it was so heartwarming it just made me smile so yes this is how it went  I think.

to be honest most of them thoughts came after I watched more episodes. XD

Edited by Everleaf

Pony fandom, and nothing else anymore, really.

I became a fan through YouTube, which isn't the best place to socialize, so I wanted to be somewhere specifically where people "shared the same interests".

• Brohoof 1

im active in the mlp fandom and not that much anymore in the anime fandom

Since I discovered mlp and the brony fandom I begun fading away from the anime fandom because the people in the MLP fandom is more open and positive than the anime fandom amd also friendly.

There's really only one reason I partake in the majority of fandoms. And that is out of loneliness. I want to find friends, and fandoms are the only way I know how to. It makes sense. You find others with similar interests, and maybe you'll click on more than just the fandom itself. I want to be a part of a community, to help and contribute, and feel like I can do something. But I rarely ever join because I'm enthusiastic about the subject matter itself.

Back when I was a mod of this place, for instance, I was never really as keen on ponies as a few others seemed to be. I worked my ass off, and tried my best because of my desire to be a part of something and contribute, rather than because I actually cared deeply about MLP. But nowadays, I don't really actively participate in it or discussing ponies. I'm still only marginally part of the pony fandom because of boredom and loneliness.

I've already found one person with whom my relationship has gone far beyond the fandom we met in (ponies), and I hope to find even more people who I can befriend on a deeper level. 

Other fandoms is the same case, although I'm more enthusiastic about Pokemon and do enjoy talking about it a fair bit more than ponies. 

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...

I'm only active in one fandom, that's the pony fandom. What brought me to join it was my love for MLP, as I discovered that I wasn't the only one who loved it and I also started to love fan-made MLP content.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Every time I've joined a fandom, it has been because of my interest in the thing the fandom is about. When I start enjoying something, I usually want to talk to someone about it, and I very rarely know anyone who shares that interest.

MLP has been an exceptional case in several ways, though. A big reason why I checked out MLP in the first place was because I had heard it had a lot of fans outside the target demographic, suggesting it was a good show in spite of my first thoughts (I doubt I would have been interested otherwise). And in the end, I ended up making a lot of friends with whom I talk about things other than MLP. :rarity: But even now, I wouldn't expect that of any other fandom, as nice as it would be (since that had never happened to me before).

• Brohoof 5

I do enjoy the MLP fandom quite a lot. I had never been on an online forum before MLP came along and I learned a lot in joining in. I would have missed out on a lot if I hadn't joined up and participated in all this fun, it's very cool. I'm an avid Star Wars fan but I don't participate in that fandom very much; it's far too special and personal for me to share to any exceptional degree with anyone else.

• Brohoof 4

I simply don't wanted to be alone anymore. :) I tried some other Fandoms as well, but this here is by far the most welcoming and friendly one~!

6 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

And in the end, I ended up making a lot of friends with whom I talk about things other than MLP. :rarity: But even now, I wouldn't expect that of any other fandom, as nice as it would be (since that had never happened to me before).

Everything is possible! I met the friends I have now in totally unexpected places and circumstances. It's the randomness that lead us together. :) It's just important to stay active and be patient.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, applesjck said:

For me, it’s to make new friends who share the same interests as me! That’s why I joined the forums, and I’m so happy I did. So many lovely people here. :wub:

I joined for the same reasons!

And I'm glad I did, I'm having a wonderful time!:mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 5

• 3 months later...

I'm in a lot of fandoms pony, anime, furry and more why I don't know. Wanted friends and yeah at the time I for example joined this forum was as I was thinking of becoming popular like youtube and drawing etc. Then I just realized like bro why I'm doing this yo like I don't know.

So I just enjoyed doing what I enjoyed doing is all you know. I had friends on here a lot actually used to be popular on this forum yet now I feel like I'm on here mostly as I have the account I'm not that much of a social person anymore really. 

• 2 months later...