Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are age spells illegal?

Invincible

We know certain unicorns are capable of age spells, so it naturally follows that there are methods out there which can restore a pony's body back to youth. Maybe even Sombra used something similar to survive for a thousand years. Since there are ponies getting old (and presumably dying of old age?), why do we not see any more immortal ponies? Is it possible that Celestia have them banned or something?

Celestia, being the tyrant she is, wants to makes sure she is the only immortal being. If anypony else lived too long they might just be able to challenge her. And we can't have that!

• Brohoof 1

I doubt they're illegal, it's just that any pony capable of casting the spell are exceedingly rare and would likely be monitored or known in some way. Twilight, possibly the most power unicorn alive, couldn't cast it and Trixie was only able to do it thanks to an evil artifact that greatly multiplied her power beyond that of a normal unicorn.

So either the unicorn in question would be powerful enough to likely be known or they're being assisted by dark powers, in which case the fact that they can cast said spell would be the least horrible thing they would have done.

• Brohoof 4

there probably not illegal because casting them is impossible for a normal unicorn and probably would either not work at all or kill them in the attempt. Even Twilight, the element of magic herself, didn't have the magical reserves to cast one properly (at the time :P).

That said, it might have been an unspoken rule amongst alicorns.

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

Nopony said they have to casted at one's self. It's entirely possible that if they work by actually changing a pony's age, then it's possible to use them to make others around you younger. That's why i'm wondering why nopony banned them or something.

I think only most powerfull Unicorns and alicorns are able to master this spell for immortality purpose. If Staswirl is going to show up is probably because of that spell

I don't know. Usually laws are a reaction to a societal need to be protected. If there haven't been instances of misuse, it may not be illegal. I mean, without a powerful amulet Trixie couldn't do the spell, and Twilight couldn't either. If this is something accessible to only the most powerful of Unicorns/Alicorns a law would likely not be warranted.

• Brohoof 1

Something to consider about a law such as that: those creating the law must be capable of enforcing it. Meaning whoever placed a restriction on age spells should be powerful enough to perform them as well. We've been told they're a very advanced form of magic that only the greatest unicorns are capable of performing. Should somepony with that level of power go off the deep end, they could be capable of causing some serious devastation. Given how infrequent it appears to be that one obtain that level of power, I don't think a law would be necessary (see Jeric's response), and I'd be more concerned about those forbidding it.

Unless it was the princesses though, because they've proven themselves benevolent. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

the rules with magic any spell is legal as long as long as you are using it for the better good just casting a age spell to get a laugh is illegal casting it to maybe save an old fellow from dying and he or she is alright with it is legal its just something you have to think hard about and does it sound right to you since there is no magic in this reality

That's funny. I just started an RP in which the central character manipulates his own age. But it's more slowing the progression of time for him personally than it is making himself more youthful every so many years. Time magic is trippy.

Check out my sig if you want to get a closer look.

Yeah, based on what other kinds of magic we've seen being used willy-nilly in the show I don't see why age spells would be illegal. More like almost impossible for any but the most skilled magic wielders to perform.

I think not even magic can grant immortality or on a similar note, bring back a pony from death. There is likely no point in banning magics to try to do either of those possibly because only a few ponies could ever hope to try and both would not work or would only work for a limited time like the age spell. For the other idea, bringing back a pony from death would result in abominations mostly but no restored ponies. Whatever makes up the core of a pony would be gone, aged or lost regardless of magical intervention.

I think not even magic can grant immortality or on a similar note, bring back a pony from death. There is likely no point in banning magics to try to do either of those possibly because only a few ponies could ever hope to try and both would not work or would only work for a limited time like the age spell. For the other idea, bringing back a pony from death would result in abominations mostly but no restored ponies. Whatever makes up the core of a pony would be gone, aged or lost regardless of magical intervention.

Necro ponies? This is getting interesting...

• Brohoof 1

I don't think they're banned. If they were there would probably be a spell to prevent them from being used in the first place.

Though I think an episode based on banned magic would be very interesting.

• Brohoof 1