Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What will the future of music be?

BronyPony

We'll see a greater shift towards electronic production. Metal and such will still be around, but with advances in technology, Techno and other forms of electronic music is going to only continue to grow.

More experimental stuff will slowly become more mainstream. When I hear something like this, I think of the future, or as my friend describes it, "Alien music".

• Brohoof 1

I suspect that everyone will shift back into older genres because it's be the thing to do

Suddenly, swing and jazz and sh*t will be all the rage.

Then again, it can very well be the same recycled afterbirth spewing from today's media-holes. But with more"untis-untis".

If it doesn't appeal to you, then just say so instead of saying its garbage.

Not forcing you to, just don't go saying its garbage because you don't like it.

*raises hand*

But it IS garbage.

Narp, that woild be insulting all the maggots and fruit flies that dwell inside of it.

This was terribad to the point where it caused me actual physical pain to listen to, and if that's the thing that will be playing on the radios 24/7, I will isolate myself as a hermit and live off of pond water and Fruit Rollup wrappers for the rest of my life.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 4

I'm sure there are techno enthusiasts who can appreciate this garbage

Saying it like this sounds insulting to people who enjoy the song.

But it IS garbage.

I myself liked it. Not the best thing ever, but rather interesting.

Edited by Rivendare

Saying it like this sounds insulting to people who enjoy the song.

I myself liked it. Not the best thing ever, but rather interesting.

SHUT UP, DONNIE

That's never stopped anyone before, really

I'm positive you've found yourself talking sh*t about...I dunno...Nikki Minaj or Justin Beiber or something, just like how I did with the song in the OP (which I think is illegal to call music in 34 states and Canada)

---

Okay, I got one.

All popular music from the future will have sampling of old songs as beats.

Just like that dumbtarded Nikki Minaj song "Anaconda"

And you know what?

People will eat it up.

I actually hope this is the future of music:

Okay yeah this music here is awesome and relaxing I like this alot. This though is awesome

That first music video... if that is the future of music someone kill me now. 

Just like that dumbtarded Nikki Minaj song "Anaconda"

That is not a song it is just pure evil  

I am not all that hopeful for the future of popular music lol.  I feel as though the best music has come and gone.  And nowadays being able to play an instrument, sing, or even construct a discernible melody seem to be optional. xD  I'm not saying all modern music is bad, nor am I saying that all music of the future will be bad.  But a lot of it will be bad.  "Well what is 'bad' exactly?  Aren't you thinking subjectively?"  Etc.  Yes, and not entirely.  Because if, in the future, melody is abandoned altogether and replaced with random, unharmonious noises...  Is it really music anymore?  I can honestly go listen to a Rammstein song where the vocalist sounds like he's a disgruntled German in desperate need of a soothing cough drop (FYI, I loved Rammstein in high school - this comes from a place of nostalgic affection), and I can FIND a darn melody.  In music, melody is god.  Even if your melody falls downstairs at some point during the performance or deliberately teases the listener with a series of sour notes.  So long as there's something there for your ears that doesn't sound like two cats fighting.  And then one of the cats inexplicably EXPLODES.

I mean if you're into random noises I'm not going to judge; listen to whatever you like.  Even if you're into the Exploding Cat Symphony.  I won't attack anyone for liking something (unless you're blasting it from your truck with the windows rolled down OMG STAWP!).  I only ask that you say, "I'm going to listen to random noises now."  Rather than, "I'm going to listen to music now."

• Brohoof 1

That's never stopped anyone before, really

I'm positive you've found yourself talking sh*t about...I dunno...Nikki Minaj or Justin Beiber or something, just like how I did with the song in the OP (which I think is illegal to call music in 34 states and Canada)

Sure, I'm not a fan whatsoever of Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber. In fact I despise most of their music. But the way you're saying it ("But it IS garbage") makes it sound like you're trying to say it as if it's some sort of fact. If that's not your intent and if I'm misinterpreting you, then I stand corrected. 

Sure, I'm not a fan whatsoever of Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber. In fact I despise most of their music. But the way you're saying it ("But it IS garbage") makes it sound like you're trying to say it as if it's some sort of fact. If that's not your intent and if I'm misinterpreting you, then I stand corrected.

Nup, you got it right

I was being blunt for effect, but it's still how I feel about said music choice in the OP

Like holy sh*t, I wouldn't be able to stand that playing 24/7 on the radio

I suspect that everyone will shift back into older genres because it's be the thing to do

I desperately hope that happens lol.  Music has been slowly drifting farther and farther away from what I would consider enjoyable or even admirable.  I'd love it if popular music took a trip back to big band; where it was played by a large group of capable musicians on actual, for reals instruments.

• Brohoof 2

capable musicians on actual, for reals instruments.

We're out here, man!

The problem is that we can't get any attention or recognition.

"Music producers" and DJ turntables have replaced musicians and electro-mechanical instruments.

• Brohoof 1

I think you could be onto something, wouldn’t surprise me if Swing or whatever became all the rage again. Although perhaps with a modern twist on it, wouldn't be the first time :)

Edited by Scootaloodle

• 9 years later...

I COMETH FROM THE FUTURE!

On 2014-09-02 at 3:24 AM, Dattebayo said:

On 2014-09-02 at 5:19 AM, Scootaloodle said:

I think you could be onto something, wouldn’t surprise me if Swing or whatever became all the rage again. Although perhaps with a modern twist on it, wouldn't be the first time :)

Actually not even wrong. Though, even in 2014, swing in particular already had it's popularity boost under electro swing. Take something "old" and give it a new twist, viola. One of many examples of electro swing at it's peak in 2014:

Spoiler

Not sure if it's as popular as it once was though, haven't really heard much from it but then again I'm a bit ignorant nowadays with this style.

Right now, it seems like people want to be tugged on their nostalgia heartstrings, so the output has mostly been anything inspired from anything between the 70s and 90s, mostly.

Mind you, I'm a bit out of touch with whatever is popular on TikTok and such, but I know one that's very popular right now is Laufey, who is a bit controversial since people are arguing if it's jazz or jazz-inspired pop. Doesn't help that she's being pushed as "the savior of jazz" by the media, because their narrative is jazz died a long time ago when it hasn't. It's not been on the mainstream stage in quite a long while compared to other genres, but the seemingly random boost in popularity with her has definitely pushed an audience to dip their toes in music they would've otherwise never bothered trying to listen to (and I recommend that the opposite try the same in the other direction).

Spoiler

Laufey - From The Start
though this one is more bossa nova, still very much shows her current work that's "popular with the kids" by that I mean she's selling out shows and being cheered at on Taylor Swift levels.

I'm a bit more in tune with drum and bass, so what I've seen is a seemingly random resurgence in dnb from the 90s again. It includes soundtracks as well, like in video games from that time period. Not to mention tons of breakcore (or just "-core" it seems) that've become popular.

Spoiler

mixes like these i've seen more and more become insanely popular

This song might've helped boost 90s dnb's recent popularity for sure, since it was used in that "breakdancing cat" meme:

Spoiler

Intense - Only You

the meme:

Give it about 5 - 10 years and we might see a new form of some sort of metal, punk, grunge, etc. become randomly mainstream as well.

Actually, I might have an idea on who could lead that:

Spoiler

That's if they keep this up at least, which seems like they will!

• 4 months later...