Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tips to De-cringe-ify my Voice-over Work?

Literally Snails

I'm extremely embarrassed to ask this, but this is the least judgmental community I could go to for help on the subject. I've been working in Sony Vegas 9.0 making what I hope to one day be youtube reviews. I've been working on several videos, but I always run into the same problem.

My voice sounds like I'm eight.

I've tried lowering the bass, compressing the voice, slowing it down and everything in between, but I can't seem to fix my cringe worthy voice. I have a good mic (a 100$ Snowball) and I've been using audacity to record. I don't know what to do, and I'm considering scrapping all of my work all together.

Enclosed are a few bits from my review of the first two MLP:FiM episodes. (I will not be doing only MLP reviews. I plan to focus on cartoons and video games.)

Pony Review.wav

Most people don't like their voice on recording, because on recording your voice is going to sound much different, because when you hear your voice normally you hear it differently due to something to do with the vibration of the sounds inside your bones or something, i forget the technical reasoning, but regardless you will sound different when you hear yourself speak in comparison to what you hear on recording.

On recordings your voice will actually sound more accurate to what others hear though, depending on your mic quality, so honestly don't worry, I don't like my voice a ton on recording myself, most people hearing themselves on recording probably won't like themselves, it's just an odd thing to hear since your use to hearing it a certain way.

But I wouldn't worry about it to much dude. Don't bother altering your voice or anything, that'll just make things sound artificial.

• Brohoof 2

fixed it i put bronie and not brownie

Yes, I'm making it a point to mispronounce that word every time it comes up.

Maybe it's just me but you sound.....bored? Maybe it's because I'm not seeing a video, but there is nothing wrong with the voice itself. As far as advice goes, mine would be to project more.

I can't say I meant to sound bored, more like I was tired and sort of loopy, like someone who hasnt had enough sleep. As for projecting, If I raise my voice to high, the mike pops whenever I say my T's and Th's and my S's whistle.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I can't listen on my phone. But if you want advice, I do have a Voice Acting class on Skype (I'm DoctorMcCrimmon there, too. Just be sure to tell me who you are when adding me, and why you did) it meets every Thursday morning… there's on in three hours of posting this in fact. So I might be able to help. If not, I can help one-on-one.

Well, I can't listen on my phone. But if you want advice, I do have a Voice Acting class on Skype (I'm DoctorMcCrimmon there, too. Just be sure to tell me who you are when adding me, and why you did) it meets every Thursday morning… there's on in three hours of posting this in fact. So I might be able to help. If not, I can help one-on-one.

Unfortunately, I'm a highschool senior. So I rarely have a thursday morning off. I also don't even have a skype...

but thanks for the offer.