Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music Genres you dislike.

Vox

I dislike rap. It goes too fast for me and thus usually doesn't have a good beat IMO. And of course, there are the topics that most rappers use...

Chance_The_Rapper_Acid_Rap-front-large.j

try this mixtape, slow soulful rap

Pop. Ugh.

Country as well. Who likes beer?

Pretty much every other genre I can respect.

Plus, for some people in this thread:

mu·sic

noun, often attributive \ˈmyü-zik\

: sounds that are sung by voices or played on musical instruments

: written or printed symbols showing how music should be played or sung

: the art or skill of creating or performing music

Genres, whether you like them are not, are still music. Get that through your thick heads.

Just sayin, but what's with all the rap hate in here? I respect it, but why?

Edited by oranjebleus
  • Brohoof 2

Finally, a topic suited for me! I do not like playing favorites on just about anything. I've been telling everyone who knows me for years that it's easier to ask me about things I DON'T like rather than things that are my favorite.

Country. At least, the majority of it. I hate to say that even my older age, I am finding SOME exceptions. A small few at best.

Religious. If it's religious in any way, Gospel, Christian Rock, Christian Pop, Church Hymns, or even religious music that isn't based in Christianity, I don't like it. I'll bear it on a Sunday, because I actually am a Christian, but that's it. After Sunday, I don't wanna hear about it.

And last of all, and I know this kind of cheating, but... Noise. If you have a piece of "music" and it's NOT melodic in any way, if it feels like I'm just drowning in noise, then I'm not going to like it all.

I think that basically covers it. :)

Pop. Ugh.

Country as well. Who likes beer?

Pretty much every other genre I can respect.

Plus, for some people in this thread:

mu·sic

noun, often attributive \ˈmyü-zik\

: sounds that are sung by voices or played on musical instruments

: written or printed symbols showing how music should be played or sung

: the art or skill of creating or performing music

Genres, whether you like them are not, are still music. Get that through your thick heads.

Just sayin, but what's with all the rap hate in here? I respect it, but why?

oh my god I forgot about how I loathed country all the music is the pretty much the same song being played by different people

Anything that's not Progressive Rock, such as Yes, King Crimson, etc.

Maybe because I don't listen to anything else.

I've heard decent criticism for progressive rock, to pretentious, and I agree, but there were some great artists and groups who emerged from the prog Rock scene like. Pink Floyd andThe Police (both andy summers and Stewart Copeland played in a prog Rock group prior to joining)

House, EDM, Eurobeat, Dubstep (there are exceptions), Remixes, or any other of that generally lazy, terrible electronic shit. As a general rule, if it reminds me of how uncreative or uncultured our current generation is, I don't want to hear it.

I've heard decent criticism for progressive rock, to pretentious, and I agree, but there were some great artists and groups who emerged from the prog Rock scene like. Pink Floyd andThe Police (both andy summers and Stewart Copeland played in a prog Rock group prior to joining)

I guess It's all up to your opinion, and not a fan of Floyd.

I guess It's all up to your opinion, and not a fan of Floyd.

Wow, that's a first I've heard from a any prog Rock fan, usually Pink Floyd's an essential.

I like rap because lyrically, no other genre can even come close.

"cough" Prog Rock "cough"

I think Marillion is a great exemple of great lyrics.

For the topic, I would gladly live in a world without pop, dubstep, and mostly this horror called japanese pop which is a mix of these two.

Edit: omg, peeps are talking about prog rock!!! I'm a huge fan :)

Edited by GhostPony750

"cough" Prog Rock "cough"

I think Marillion is a great exemple of great lyrics.

For the topic, I would gladly live in a world without pop, dubstep, and mostly this horror called japanese pop which is a mix of these two.

Edit: omg, peeps are talking about prog rock!!! I'm a huge fan :)

i have listened to progressive rock and i hate to say, no, it doesnt really come close, atleast not if we group ALL of rap´s great lyricist, its a matter of perspective, if we take it into a telescope rap is better, but microscopically some would say prog if we cherry pick.

Rap in general, with a few exceptions. (Mic the Microphone being a notable one.  :wub: )

Dubstep with no exceptions.  >_>

do you dislike dubstep or only brostep (skrillex´s stuff)?

cause i could find really great dubstep albums nothing like the mainstream.

(also MCM is pretty average)

Edited by twistedmetalero

Honestly, I can't say there is one genre that I dislike any more than another. Of course, there are genres that I love more than most; specifically metal, classical, score music, & punk ska.

The only genres that I like LESS would be along the lines of rap, pop, christian, and country; but even saying that...I like some some songs & artists from those genres, so...yeah.

I don't dislike any genre.

do you dislike dubstep or only brostep (skrillex´s stuff)?

cause i could find really great dubstep albums nothing like the mainstream.

(also MCM is pretty average)

I dislike anything where the main idea is taking the songs and warping them.

so no wubs.

how bout this here?

Meh, now it's just gone from ear grating to kind of boring. And I can still hear faint distortions in the sound.

I guess my biggest criticism with dubstep is that it feels soulless. Nothing really feels uplifting or heart pounding about it. Now, contrast this song . . .

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

Meh, now it's just gone from ear grating to kind of boring. And I can still hear faint distortions in the sound.

I guess my biggest criticism with dubstep is that it feels soulless. Nothing really feels uplifting or heart pounding about it. Now, contrast this song . . .

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

so in short words dubstep is simply not for you.

cause as far as my dubstep knowledge goes (which is incredibly limited) i either know the dirty brostep, or the more la-down ambiental dubstep.

the only one that could be classified as soulful would be in skrillex´s new album

I dislike

-hip hop

-pop

-rap

-heavy metal

-or any song that is played too much on the radio (if that counts)

I'm more of the classic rock and classical instruments type of guy also don't mind technio

just a minor nitpick.

hip hop is a lifestyle, not a musical genre

Edited by twistedmetalero

I don't like metal. It just sounds loud and scary to me. Not my preference.

Of course I've been told not all metal is this way but as far as I'm concerned I haven't really even liked the lesser of the intense stuff. Heck I'm hardly a rock person.

Edited by Felix

so in short words dubstep is simply not for you.

cause as far as my dubstep knowledge goes (which is incredibly limited) i either know the dirty brostep, or the more la-down ambiental dubstep.

the only one that could be classified as soulful would be in skrillex´s new album

The beginning was all right, nice piano intro and even some soothing lyrics . . . then the tempo picked up and it sounded "samey" again.

I can understand how it might be good dance club ambience with the prominent bass, but when cruising down the road or listening alone, one might something of a little more substance.

For instance:

I don't like metal. It just sounds loud and scary to me. Not my preference.

Of course I've been told not all metal is this way but as far as I'm concerned I haven't really even liked the lesser of the intense stuff. Heck I'm hardly a rock person.

You need to listen to more Power Metal and less Thrash Metal. All of the energy and strength of Heavy Metal, but retuned to be uplifting and almost angelic.

Aviator's Heroes I posted above could be an example.

Other bands such as Manowar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAnjfIMAl20

-Stratovarius:

-Emerald Sun:

And of course the legendary Dragonforce:

Might be more up your alley. 

• Brohoof 1

You need to listen to more Power Metal and less Thrash Metal. All of the energy and strength of Heavy Metal, but retuned to be uplifting and almost angelic.

Aviator's Heroes I posted above could be an example.

Other bands such as Manowar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAnjfIMAl20

-Stratovarius:

-Emerald Sun:

And of course the legendary Dragonforce:

Might be more up your alley. 

I can't brohoof this enough! Power metal similarly surprised me when I was first exposed to it back in college. The fast rhythms, uplifting melodies, and addition of the keyboard and/or orchestra really adds a new dimension when compared to thrash or old-school metal.

• Brohoof 2