Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music Genres you dislike.

Vox

I can't brohoof this enough! Power metal similarly surprised me when I was first exposed to it back in college. The fast rhythms, uplifting melodies, and addition of the keyboard and/or orchestra really adds a new dimension when compared to thrash or old-school metal.

I'm glad you appreciate it. For me, it's part of the reason I'm a brony in the first place. I'm an idealist, the Light is very real to me. I've seen it in people, in nature, in art, and in myself more rarely.

Humanity should not give into despair and darkness. Power Metal songs, and those like them are war cries against the malcontent misanthropes determined to drag others down into the same mire of cynicism and self loathing they exist in.

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad you appreciate it. For me, it's part of the reason I'm a brony in the first place. I'm an idealist, the Light is very real to me. I've seen it in people, in nature, in art, and in myself more rarely.

Humanity should not give into despair and darkness. Power Metal songs, and those like them are war cries against the malcontent misanthropes determined to drag others down into the same mire of cynicism and self loathing they exist in.

I can understand that quite well. For critics power metal is cheesy with no substance, but for me...it just holds a special meaning for me. Bands like Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, and Sabaton are among my favorites when it comes to it.

Just something about uplifting melodies. <3

• Brohoof 1

I can understand that quite well. For critics power metal is cheesy with no substance, but for me...it just holds a special meaning for me. Bands like Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, and Sabaton are among my favorites when it comes to it.

Just something about uplifting melodies. <3

I myself and somewhat new to the genre so I can't rightly have a favorite yet beyond my gateway band Dragonforce. Many Classic Rock songs have happy and fun songs, bands like Aerosmith and Def Leopard assert this best. But that's passive optimism, Power Metal bands seem set on actively enforcing ideas of courage and hope.

I mean take this little number for example:

lol @ all the people generalizing and saying modern music

As for me, there is no genre that I actually dislike as a whole. There are some that I don't particularly care for or am not too familiar with, but that doesn't mean I have a distaste for them.

hip hop is a lifestyle, not a musical genre

Technically, it's both. Same thing with punk.

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 1

Technically, it's both. Same thing with punk.

hip hop is an artistic lifestyle and movement composed of 4 elements:

-djing

-breakdancing

-graffiting

-and rapping.

so its kind of wrong to refer to rap music as hip hop, but its to the point where people dont give a fuck, i do cause im a huge fucking nerd

Edited by twistedmetalero
  • Brohoof 1

hip hop is an artistic lifestyle and movement composed of 4 elements:

-djing

-breakdancing

-graffiting

-and rapping.

Yes, it's a lifestyle/subculture. But it wouldn't be technically wrong to define it as a genre either. Goth is another example. There isn't just one meaning.

I don't like rap simply because the only skill you need for that is to speak fast and have a monotone voice throughout the whole song.

I'm not a big fan of country, either (even though I'm from Kansas :P) either. No specific reason why, it's just not pleasant to mah ears.

I absolutely despise pop. And I'm talking about world pop like Miley Cyrus, JB, etc. They're all about getting high, drunk, and laid and I'm not one for that. I'll listen to people like tobyMac, Britt Nicole and other Christian pop music artist.

I really don't like dubstep, either. I know that's about 90% of the music our fandom makes, but I just don't like it. Not enough guitar riffs and double pedals for me.

I also don't like gospel and choir music, even though I sing in my church's choir. I like some songs like Days of Elijah and other really upbeat, groovin kind of stuff you'd hear in a black church kind of worship. But really slow songs like Sanctuary are just not fast enough for me.

And lastly, I'm just not the biggest fan of death metal. I LOVE metalcore, pop metal, metalstep (yes, that's a thing), and others and I really like the heavy growling vocals, but when the lyrics get incoherent, that's when I draw the line. 

Wow, that's a first I've heard from a any prog Rock fan, usually Pink Floyd's an essential.

Really? Usually, prog snobs say that Pink Floyd is the "poor" mans prog, not being as complex or whatever. I'm just not to crazy on them.

Heavy Metal. I can see why people don't like gospel, but that's like not played at all except in church or something. Like Screamo, I don't like screamo and I didn't list it because I haven't heard anyone talk about it or hear it or anything in soooooo long that afaik it isn't even an active genre, or it just isn't popular. 

I don't dislike country but I don't actively listen to it. I grew up in that area, I don't consider myself country nor do I have the accent but I don't mind that music because I'm actually familiar with what they're singing about.

I don't care for country and rap in general.  Because of the seemingly prevalent themes in either and the sound of the vocals (country twang and rapid fire spoken word).  But then, I favor instrumental works to those with vocals, and the instrumentation in country and rap (assuming there even is instrumentation to speak of) simply doesn't appeal to me.  There might exist arguable (genre-wise) exceptions, though:

Here's the awesome Primus cover of the closest thing to country I've ever liked:

Mostly just wanted an excuse to post my favorite music video ever lol.

And I think the message in this song is beautiful:

Not going to get into emo or screamo or death metal or whatever Justin Bieber is. xD

As a generality, I say I'm no fan of rap or country. Gospel music, either. There are some exceptions (to the first two), but they're few and far between.

Dislike:

- Pop. Love MJ, but that's about it for the entire pop genre. ...I occasionally indulge in a tiny bit of Katy Perry. Dont tell anyone.

- Rap, country, blues.

- Dubstep. Puke! 

- Modern house. Classic house rules, but I don't enjoy the new stuff. 

- Death/thrash metal. I love metal, but not if it's all screaming. 

I like most genres in some kind of way. The only types of music I just can't even deal with are scream-y hard rock, Christian music, and certain types of dubstep/electronic (the kind where it doesn't even sound like music and it just sounds like unorganized noise).

I'm seeing a lot of hyperspecific subgenres on this thread that I've literally never heard of in my entire life. I'm gonna have to look some of these up... XD

I don't like rap simply because the only skill you need for that is to speak fast and have a monotone voice throughout the whole song.

This is very unfair to say, as not all rap is like this. For one it is EXTREMELY hard to have a flow at a slow pace, nonetheless a fast one. Eminem, for example, rapped about 5 words a second in his Rap God verse. That is basically unheard of, which is why it's in the Guinness World Records. To counter this, one of the better rappers in today's game, Earl Sweatshirt, raps slowly, and it's great to hear.

Also, not all rappers speak in monotone. I think you may be just listening to mainstream, as there are many rappers that change their pitch throughout songs.

One of my favorite examples is Burgundy, because it has a slow rap, and a great story within it.

And here is a great example of a song that isn't monotone

PS: Macklemore is whack; don't use him as an example for rap.

PPS: I still can't understand all the hate for rap in here. Someone care to elaborate?

Edited by oranjebleus
  • Brohoof 1

This is very unfair to say, as not all rap is like this. For one it is EXTREMELY hard to have a flow at a slow pace, nonetheless a fast one. Eminem, for example, rapped about 5 words a second in his Rap God verse. That is basically unheard of, which is why it's in the Guinness World Records. To counter this, one of the better rappers in today's game, Earl Sweatshirt, raps slowly, and it's great to hear.

Also, not all rappers speak in monotone. I think you may be just listening to mainstream, as there are many rappers that change their pitch throughout songs.

One of my favorite examples is Burgundy, because it has a slow rap, and a great story within it.

And here is a great example of a song that isn't monotone

PS: Macklemore is whack; don't use him as an example for rap.

PPS: I still can't understand all the hate for rap in here. Someone care to elaborate?

I have respect for Eminem because of where he came from to where he is now.

However, Rap God just wasn't my cup of tea. Or any other rap song.

The only music genre that I really dislike is rap.

I can understand why people like it, and there are even a few rare instances where I like a rap song. For the most part however I just don't like the sound of it.

Dubstep and any "Sub-genre" there is of it.

EDM remixes of other songs, this I didn't see much of until people started remixing the songs from MLP. 99.9% of it I can't stand. Sorry, but I don't like hearing Fluttershy sound like she's a robot.

Modern Country.It's all about drinking, trucks and girls.....I like old Country liek Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson...etcetera

Rap. The only rap artist I like is Eminem. Most rap artists rap about how rich they are or other crap like that.

Screamo, Death metal...anything of that sort. That said , I Love rock and roll, Metal, grunge and such. there's just certain sub-genres I can't stand. The singer in most/all death metal songs sounds like   a person who's possessed by a demon, trying to clear his throat.It just gives me a headache and I like being able to understand lyrics, andthe lyrics not about killing.