Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music Genres you dislike.

Vox

Three genres mainly: Rap, country, and modern pop...stuff, depending on who does it and how it is done,

Rap at one point had a purpose. It may not had been good 'music' overall but it at least had lyrics that mattered, feelings, stories, you definitely don't see that now.

Pop stuff, the exploitive stuff is what bothers me. Stuff that is just drivel to make a quick buck.

Country, I actually hate it most of all. For a couple of reasons: Exploitations, like the pop stuff, but almost worse. So many country songs rely on tired old topics just to sound 'relatable' and 'southern'. Second, most of it sounds eerily similar. A lot of country songs, especially really popular ones, use the exact same beats, almost the same riffs, and nearly the same notes. It gets old. I would not mind it all sounding the same if it had something to it, but it just doesn't.

Country is the worst to me.

I just find it strange how it is that so many people really dislike country music (myself included) yet where I work, it is always what ends up blaring on the overhead radio.

I know a lot of my coworkers hate it, too, but somehow the ones that like it always have control over the radio. -_-

Like, I know you can't find a genre that everyone likes, but country is so polarizing, it's one of the worst choices to play over the radio.

Dat rap hate tho...I don't really listen to it but whenever I hear it it makes me laugh. It's so boisterous and obnoxious idk it's just hilarious for me. For me it'd have to be country because other than that, I really listen to quite a few genres. Even Denpa. which i actually enjoy immensely

• Brohoof 1

I honestly like a bit of everything:

The only genres I'd say I dislike are metal, rock, and Dubstep. But even then I think Dubstep has a really cool culture and some rock stuff has exceptions 

Edited by Scootaloodle

*Eyes bleed from all the rap hate*

I'm not really a huge country, pop, or electronic fan, but there a few songs from each genre that I like good enough. I don't really "hate" any genres though because I feel like they all contributed something good to the table, just as much as every music genre has brought absolute crap to the table.

What he said has it worded better than what I said  :)

Edited by Scootaloodle
  • Brohoof 1

Rap at one point had a purpose. It may not had been good 'music' overall but it at least had lyrics that mattered, feelings, stories, you definitely don't see that now.

Uh...

Good Kid Maad City, Section.80, Goblin, Bastard, WOLF, Born Sinner, Because the Internet, 1999, Doris, Control System, channel Orange, Graduation, Faces, MellowHigh, among countless others.

Excuse you.

• Brohoof 4

There are only two: Country Western and North American Pop.

Uh...

Good Kid Maad City, Section.80, Goblin, Bastard, WOLF, Born Sinner, Because the Internet, 1999, Doris, Control System, channel Orange, Graduation, Faces, MellowHigh, among countless others.

Excuse you.

I have literally never heard of any of these.

There's really only two genres I don't like most of: rap/hiphop, and dubstep. Of course, there's a few exceptions to both; personally, I believe everyone can find at least one song they enjoy from every genre, no matter how much they dislike the style as a whole.

People seem to forget shitty famous rappers existed back in the 90´s/80´s

Vanilla Ice?

MC Hammer?

Everlast?

Tone Loc?

PM Dawn?

Sir Mix-A-Lot?

Marky Marketc?

Dee Dee Ramone?

Brian Austin Green?

puff daddy?

fred durst?

Or are you gonna tell me "ice ice baby" and "Break Stuff" had depth,  meaning and story?

In fact rap today is having a larger influx of good albums, more so than in 2000.

Just taking a look at the best albums recently:

And just a few of my favorites MBDTF, Leze Majesty,XXX, So It Goes, PTSD, Run the Jewels, The Money Store, R.A.P Music, WMWTSO

Edited by twistedmetalero

There's really only two genres I don't like most of: rap/hiphop, and dubstep. Of course, there's a few exceptions to both; personally, I believe everyone can find at least one song they enjoy from every genre, no matter how much they dislike the style as a whole.

I legit cannot find a Country Western song I like. I can like other Country songs, but Country Western itself disgusts me.

Uh...

Excuse you.

And not surprisingly, I have not heard of a single one of these. If these people produce 'good' rap then good rap definitely isn't promoted. Granted, good music overall isn't promoted, here in America at least. Hence why I did not know of them. Rap is not a genre I prefer, so I have not really gravitated to and found apparently much better performers, like I have with other genres.

Rap - The few instances which I like a rap song are few and far between.

Death Metal - Incoherent screaming, heavy metal without the appeal for me

Modern Pop - I draw the line at "artists" such as Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and it seems that every other artist has a flop somewhere or another. If the songs sound too generic or melody too vapid and uninteresting such as Roar, Royals, We Are Never Getting Back Together then it'll earn my dislike.

K-Pop or J-Pop - I may live in Asia but in neither of these two countries.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

I can honestly say there isn't a single genre that I dislike as a whole. It comes down to a song by song basis. A lot of music can't even be put into any one genre unless people want to just make up new genres every ten minutes.

I have literally never heard of any of these.

And not surprisingly, I have not heard of a single one of these.

You've probably been exposed shit like Migos, 2 Chainz or Trinidad James if you have never heard of good Kid Maad City, one of the best albums PERIOD of the last 5 years.

• Brohoof 1

And not surprisingly, I have not heard of a single one of these. If these people produce 'good' rap then good rap definitely isn't promoted. Granted, good music overall isn't promoted, here in America at least. Hence why I did not know of them. Rap is not a genre I prefer, so I have not really gravitated to and found apparently much better performers, like I have with other genres.

They are actually pretty promoted on sites like complex and pitchfork who tend to gravitate towards alternative experimental rap, specially Good Kid M.a.a.d City who is wildly regarded as the best album of 2012, even macklemore who won a grammy against it thought he didint deserved it unlike gkmc.

Maybe is cause you were just an outsider to the genre, which is not unheard of outsiders dont really focus on finding the gems among the crap in genres.

Hell i didint even knew "good" Electronic Dance Music albums existed till i met Aphex Twin and Burial.

Edited by twistedmetalero

All dat rap hate doe.

I can understand if the hate is gravitated towards Drake (granted, I do kinda like beat that "Started from the Bottom" has), Lil Wayne, Jason D etc - they freakin' deserve it. But come on! You make me cry.  :(

As far as music genres go, I don't really hate any. Every genre has its gems.  -_-

Edited by Guest

They are actually pretty promoted on sites like complex and pitchfork who tend to gravitate towards alternative experimental rap, specially Good Kid M.a.a.d City who is wildly regarded as the best album of 2012, even macklemore who won a grammy against it thought he didint deserved it unlike gkmc.

Maybe is cause you were just an outsider to the genre, which is not unheard of outsiders dont really focus on finding the gems among the crap in genres.

Hell i didint even knew "good" Electronic Dance Music albums existed till i met Aphex Twin and Burial.

Some genres are also an acquired taste. For one reason or another people have an automatic aversion to certain genres. My advice is usually to listen to it more, rather than less. The more you get used to the things in it you don't care for the easier it will be for you to enjoy the good things in the genre. Then once you start enjoying the genre you might even enjoy things you previously didn't.

Any sort of dirty vocals in metal tend to get this sort of reaction from newbies. If you don't like screaming, listen to it until it doesn't bother you. I got into growling vocals thanks to a band I already liked (Avenged Sevenfold) which opened many pathways in the genre. Thanks to that my favorite thing is when clean and growling vocals are mixed together. I love the disparity.

So my advice to anyone who dislikes any genre is to listen to it more. Not necessarily in excess but at least try to find different stuff. Find bands and artists you've never heard of, stuff that's not on the best sellers list. Find subgenres. Musical genres are never exactly the same in all cases. If you don't like death metal, go with power metal which has less growling vocals and more swaying guitar strokes. If you don't like dubstep, try trance which has smoother sounds and less stop'n'go beats.

• Brohoof 1

Not really picky on music.

I like country, pop, metal, rock, electronic to an extent.

But I can not for the grace of god get into rap. Doesn't matter if it's a really popular rapper, just can't get into it.

• Brohoof 1