Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could you be a slave/pet?

swordsman

(edited)

Yes for an entity whose status is suitable for such a role, not for an entity whose status is insufficient for such a role (I think it was de La Boétie in his The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude who described a righteous ruler as a strong man with power whereas a tyrant is a weak man with power). However, the term servant is preferred as slave has rather negative connotations.

To elaborate further, I am of the mind that hierarchies are inherent aspects of ourselves. What we must be concerned about are good or perverse hierarchies. Assuming we speak of a good hierarchy, then it would be in my interest to adhere according to wherever it is I lie on said hiearchy which may mean being a servant of those who are higher up or to be worthy of being the one for whom others will be a servant (though if one lies in the middle, then one will be both a servant and be served to varying extent). One thing I on which I have become more doubtful is not only that many do not truly value freedom, but perhaps they should not be granted it. What comes to mind is a point made by Bertrand de Jouvenel from his On Power where the emancipation of people who are naturally submissive will eventually result in them, in effect, demand for the abolition of freedom for they fear it: they desire security. The types of people who truly do value freedom are those with the aristocratic mindset as they ultimately rely on themselves rather than being dependent on another entity. The aristocracy were not inclined to be submissive to the monarch; they struggled to maintain their independence. I seem to recall de Jouvenel making the point that the state of liberty should be available in general in the event that there is, so to speak, a servant with an aristocratic mindset. However, this is more likely to be the exception rather than the norm. What forcing liberty on all does is undermining those of the aristocratic mindset, as it were, from living in liberty by the masses who were never liberty minded in the first place.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
On 2023-03-09 at 10:42 AM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Yes for an entity whose status is suitable for such a role, not for an entity whose status is insufficient for such a role (I think it was de La Boétie in his The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude who described a righteous ruler as a strong man with power whereas a tyrant is a weak man with power). However, the term servant is preferred as slave has rather negative connotations.

To elaborate further, I am of the mind that hierarchies are inherent aspects of ourselves. What we must be concerned about are good or perverse hierarchies. Assuming we speak of a good hierarchy, then it would be in my interest to adhere according to wherever it is I lie on said hiearchy which may mean being a servant of those who are higher up or to be worthy of being the one for whom others will be a servant (though if one lies in the middle, then one will be both a servant and be served to varying extent). One thing I on which I have become more doubtful is not only that many do not truly value freedom, but perhaps they should not be granted it. What comes to mind is a point made by Bertrand de Jouvenel from his On Power where the emancipation of people who are naturally submissive will eventually result in them, in effect, demand for the abolition of freedom for they fear it: they desire security. The types of people who truly do value freedom are those with the aristocratic mindset as they ultimately rely on themselves rather than being dependent on another entity. The aristocracy were not inclined to be submissive to the monarch; they struggled to maintain their independence. I seem to recall de Jouvenel making the point that the state of liberty should be available in general in the event that there is, so to speak, a servant with an aristocratic mindset. However, this is more likely to be the exception rather than the norm. What forcing liberty on all does is undermining those of the aristocratic mindset, as it were, from living in liberty by the masses who were never liberty minded in the first place.

*Reads all of this. Falls silent. Says nothing. Blinks. Reads it again. Fall silent. Looks at you. Guffaws. Just. Guffaws so hard* Indeed, Indeed. :toldya:

• 3 months later...