Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much do the mane six make at their jobs?

Buck Testa

Obviously we do not have any clear indication of how many bits are needed to cover the cost of living but its safe to say the mane six have that baseline covered. That being said how much do you think they make based on their jobs, homes, and material possessions? Who do you think makes the most bits? Who do you think makes the least?

I think Pinkie maybe the poorest of the mane six cause she is the only one with two jobs, a la working for the Cakes and being a professional party planner.

Flutters special skillset of negotiating with wildlife and taming monsters has got her quite the set up with a cottage and being able to indulge in regular trips to the spa

Twilight probably gets bits from celestia as well as the librarian gig (well...she DID have the librarian gig anyway...) but I do not think its a whole lot

Applejack and Rarity are highly entrepreneurial and driven to push their respective buisnesses and considering the sheer volume of Apples Applejacks family works with and The high profile clients and all the jewels Rarity works with it would be safe to asume they both make a ton of bits. Though Applejack may have high overhead with all that barn raising and farming animals.

Rainbow Dash seems to have a government job clearing the skies and while it affords her that spiffy cloud house that seems like a mansion she does seem to still need to do odd jobs like wrecking Applejacks decrepit barn.

I am not sure how to translate this info into real world numbers but my general hypothosis is Rarity, Apple Jack, and Fluttershy probably make a lot more then Twilight, rainbow dash, and Pinkie Pie.

What do you think?

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 4

Being princess probably means you get paid.

But this IS Equestria we're talking about. In a world where magic exists you probably don't need to question where the money came from.

• Brohoof 4

Let's say AJ sells 50 apples a day. Apples are 2 bits each. That would make her get 700 bits a week, 

Rarity sells each dress for roughly 100 bits. She She sells 9 each week giving her 900 bits a week. (By the way, Rarity is a better entrepreneur than Applejack. It's canon)

Twilight gets about 500 bits a week as royal payment. 

Fluttershy would charge 25 bits for pet sitting. She would get 10 pets to look after each week. So 250 bits a week. 

Pinkie Pie gets 15 bits an hour and works a 30 hour work week. So she gets 450 bits a week. 

Rainbow Dash gets 300 bits as payment for clearing the skies each week giving her 300 bits a week.

(Note: This is all random since there is no information on the matter) 

Among them the most wealthy

I believe to be Rarity

Her business is running strong

So her high income can't be wrong

Twilight is a princess

She must also have bits in excess

Applejack with her rustic charm

Doubtless makes bank on her farm

Pinkie has two jobs, 'tis true

But at least she has them, I say to you

Flutters and Dash remain unemployed

A situation many try to avoid

Really though, I find it insignificant

They all seem comfortable, thus I chant

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 5

I have a slight issue with the post regarding Applejack selling each apple for 50 bits. There is no way that an apple costs half as much as a dress from Rarity.

Believe it or not, I actually did some research, BECAUSE HORSE SCIENCE.

So, lets start with Applejack's wage. Looking at the wiki, I am sure that we can determine the prices for her products.

Basket of apples-8 gold bit

1 apple-4 gold bits

Bag of apples-3 gold bits

Apple pie-2 gold bits

Apple fritter-2 gold bits

Mug of apple cider-2 gold bits

Asparagus (1 bundle)-1 gold bit

Tomatoes (bunch of 3)-2 gold bits

Cherry-2 gold bits

Source: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Bits

O-Okay, so there is a lot of stuff here that seems very out of line...Why is an apple more expensive than an apple pie? Why is a bag of apples less expensive than one apple?

Okay, okay, for simplicity sake, lets say that 1 apple is 4 bits.

The average farm makes approximately $80,000 in America. While I cannot find the information on how much an apple orchard makes, this will have to do.

An apple that weights 1.27 pounds in America costs 47 cents. So using some basic math...

.47x=(4)80,000

x = 680,851

So, if Applejack wants to have the same living conditions as a farmer in America, she needs to make 680,851 bits a year! That's all fine and good, but is that actually how much she makes? Unfortunately, I could not find enough information on Applejack's farm to make the conclusion, but she seems well off, so I suppose it isn't too much of a blind shot to assume she makes around the average.

Applejack (assumingly) makes about 681,000 bits a year.

Since Applejack and Trixie are the only two ponies that have prices set for their stuff, (and maybe I could do Photo-Finish, since one photo costs 500 bits), I cannot have an accurate picture of the ponies. However, I can say this.

Applejack makes the least out of the ponies.

Who comes next? Surprisingly, Rainbow Dash. That Cloudsdale house? She hardly lives in it. I honestly think that it is either government housing or that it is rented, because she sleeps on stray clouds more often than her actual home.

Pinkie Pie is next. How? Well, 99% of the episodes she is in, she is doing her job. Throwing parties. Also, she does not have to pay for her own living, since she lives with the Cakes.

Who am I missing? Ah yes, Fluttershy.

How does Fluttershy make more than the three? Well, there is a very important job that the others have missed. She guards the entrance to the Everfree forest. If a Timberwolf or some beast escapes, she is most likely the first to know.

Rarity, duh, is next.

And last and not least, Alicorn Twilight.

This is my headcannon. If you see any flaws, point them out and I will try to fix it. I'm typing this at 2am anyway, I am bound to make a mistake or two.

• Brohoof 7

attachicon.gifHoldit.gif

I have a slight issue with the post regarding Applejack selling each apple for 50 bits. There is no way that an apple costs half as much as a dress from Rarity.

So, lets start with Applejack's wage. Looking at the wiki, I am sure that we can determine the prices for her products.

1 apple-4 gold bits

Apple pie-2 gold bits

Cherry-2 gold bits

O-Okay, so there is a lot of stuff here that seems very out of line...Why is an apple more expensive than an apple pie? Why is a bag of apples less expensive than one apple?

The average farm makes approximately $80,000 in America. While I cannot find the information on how much an apple orchard makes, this will have to do.

An apple that weights 1.27 pounds in America costs 47 cents. So using some basic math...

.47x=(4)80,000

x = 680,851

So, if Applejack wants to have the same living conditions as a farmer in America, she needs to make 680,851 bits a year! That's all fine and good, but is that actually how much she makes? Unfortunately, I could not find enough information on Applejack's farm to make the conclusion, but she seems well off, so I suppose it isn't too much of a blind shot to assume she makes around the average.

Since Applejack and Trixie are the only two ponies that have prices set for their stuff, (and maybe I could do Photo-Finish, since one photo costs 500 bits), I cannot have an accurate picture of the ponies. However, I can say this.

Who comes next? Surprisingly, Rainbow Dash. That Cloudsdale house? She hardly lives in it. I honestly think that it is either government housing or that it is rented, because she sleeps on stray clouds more often than her actual home.

Pinkie Pie is next. How? Well, 99% of the episodes she is in, she is doing her job. Throwing parties. Also, she does not have to pay for her own living, since she lives with the Cakes.

How does Fluttershy make more than the three? Well, there is a very important job that the others have missed. She guards the entrance to the Everfree forest. If a Timberwolf or some beast escapes, she is most likely the first to know.

Rarity, duh, is next.

This is my headcannon. If you see any flaws, point them out and I will try to fix it. I'm typing this at 2am anyway, I am bound to make a mistake or two.

At least someone did the math.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't thrown out the possibility of Equestria participating in pure communism. It would explain the lack of general homelessness, why nobody complains about the economy or needing a home, and why everybody is able to afford necessities.
Edit: It also fits with the general lack of job competition and the sparsity of technology. No motivation to build things, y'know?

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 4

.-.

Er...I think they said 2 bits an apple and an average of 50 apples a day, not 50 bits for an apple :please:

Anyway, I'll just toss my guesstimates out there :D I'll just throw out the "this is headcanon" disclaimer, so don't take what I say as fact :please:

Rarity

Rarity makes the most of the mane 6. The average price of a dress she makes by her own hooves for 190 bits, and fabric and material and other necessary items (dyes, sewing equipment, and other things of that nature) cost her about 400 bits a week. She sells anywhere from 7 - 10 dresses a week, so she makes anywhere from 930 bits to 1500 bits a week, before tax deductions and bills. 

Rainbow Dash -

This one is tricky, but I'll knock it out real quick because it's one of my more developed ones.. She has a government job clearing clouds with the Pegasi, but there's no way that pays too much. She makes about 300 - 350 bits a week. However, we see that she lives rather lavishly.

My headcanon for Dash is that she comes from a rich family and still lives with them, so bills aren't a problem with her. She just makes enough to chip in some for herself and she continues to live with her parents, so ergo, she's got wealth by hereditary means. Money isn't much of an issue for her, but her job pays rather poorly and she'd likely be living in a cramped apartment or something if it weren't for her parents vast wealth.

Pinkie Pie -

She lives with the Cakes in what I believe to be an apprenticeship? I'm unsure. I'm far from an expert on Pinkie and RD's character, so you''ll have to patient with me here :please:

She, like RD, makes little money from her consistent job. Most of what she earns with the Cakes immediately goes back into housing for her, so she only makes 50 - 100 bits a week for personal spending, and the rest is automatically deducted from her paycheck for her living.

Her main means of money comes from her second job as a party planner, where she makes 200 - 250 bits per small party, such as a birthday or whatnot. About 100 - 150 of that goes back into supplies, though, so anywhere from 100 - 150 bits per small party. Given Ponyville's size, she does about 3 of these a week, so she earns anywhere from 350 - 450 bits per week. 

Applejack -

This is a complicated one. Applejack has a LOT of farmland, as seen in "Applebuck Season", and really, she could produce an average of 1,000 to 1,500 apples per week, and we've seen that there's not just an "apple season" in Equestria, but an apple for different seasons, including cider season and zap apple season. Apple production in Equestria is essentially year round. 

If she were to sell them a bit an apple during regular apple season, that'd be about 3,000 - 3,500 bits a month, since there's no way in hell she's selling 1,000 Apples a week, plus the Apple family would have to keep some for themselves, too. Bills and other costs would likely run very high, given they have a lot of farmland, so that'd cut their bits down to size to about 500 - 750 bits a week.

Fluttershy -

She likely doesn't get a lot of business and probably lives more off of nature than anything. Animal sitting likely isn't very profitable, but she also lives in a cottage and is in touch with nature and would be able to find alternatives to these things and live off the land a bit.

Bills and income wouldn't be very high, so a safe estimate would be about 300 - 350 bits a week before bills and whatnot.

Twilight - 

She's a princess. I doubt she gets any income given the way Equestria works and has everything provided for her, be it from housing to bills to a fricken' retirement fund for when she (if she) ever stops being a princess. I doubt she has any monetary problems for her own, but I can see her using her intellectual prowress to manage Equestria's finances as a whole, so she's far from free from the pain in the ass that is taking care of finances :D

I haven't thrown out the possibility of Equestria participating in pure communism. It would explain the lack of general homelessness, why nobody complains about the economy or needing a home, and why everybody is able to afford necessities.

Edit: It also fits with the general lack of job competition and the sparsity of technology. No motivation to build things, y'know?

Also, I dig this more than anything I just said. :please:

• Brohoof 3

Holdit.gif

1 apple-4 gold bits

Apple pie-2 gold bits

Cherry-2 gold bits

.47x=(4)80,000

x = 680,851

Rarity, duh, is next.

*proceeds to shed the manliest tear of happiness the world has ever witnessed*

Its seeing a post going in depth about the hypothetical earnings of pastel colored ponies when I see how beautiful this fandom is.

Mah Peoplez!

• Brohoof 1

well done poetic! :) the only thing i can add is applejack probably makes less than one third of that figure, considering she probably has a three way profit split with granny smith and big mac...not to mention the overhead of keeping the farm running! ^^ i agree now that twilight is a princess she most likely has a nearly unlimited supply of currency at her disposal if she really wanted it considering how rich in resources equestria seems to be.

• Brohoof 1

But we must remember that they live in a cottage industry econmy, so the massive numbers we are dealing with today would look absurd to a smaller industry were industrial factories do not yet exist.

So for applejack the average laborer/farmer made "Yearly earnings Labourer £15 - £16" (http://www.mathon.org.uk/mathons-history/ralph-spencers-histories/the-old-community/18th-century). So, that wage converted into dollars is 27.73 dollars per year for the average farmer of the high end of the cottage industry era. Meaning that the number of bits she would have to make annualy far lower than the equivilant of the modern $80,000. So, using your equation she would only need to make

x = 236 

in order to obtain the living wages of her counterpart in an industry that is most similar to what Equestria actually shows. However, this does not calculate in for the cottage industry price of an apple in the human world, and is more of just a very rough estimate. While it may be a smidge higher (around 400 bits or so) with Equestrian industry largly still in the cottage industry era smaller prices and bartering would not be un heard of. However, for a more accurate calculation I would equate a bit to a farthing/penny depending on the situation

There were twenty (20) shillings per pound.

The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny

2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)

3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)

6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)

12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)

2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)

2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)

5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

So, she only needs to make 15 pounds to be equivilant to the cottage industry farmer. So, if we very loosly equate bits to pennies, she would only need to make around 3600 bits per year.

Rainbow Dash it would seem does not make that much, but it has been shown that pagasi can move and manipulate clouds. So one can assume that her house grows in size over the course of the show, simply because she can build onto it with cloud stuff at will. With no property taxes shown in the FiM universe one can easily assume that she just builds onto her house at will, as she is tasked with "keep the skys clear". Giving more than enough of an excuse to take excess cloud stuff and build with it. (That is assuming that the cloud stuff shown on normal clouds is equivilant to that of industral cloudstuff used in building making). So one could hazard a guess that she mostly spends her money on food stuffs and hobbies, as her housing and water can be gathered at will due to her pegasus nature.

As for fluttershy and pinkie they would make a bit less, with pinkie saving money by living with the Cakes (and in this whole thing I am just assuming that if something is not directly or indirectly shown in canon then it does not exist ie propertiy taxes and pinkie paying rent). They would most likely make around 20,00-40,00 bits a year, with Flutters making even more should the government/royalty pay her for the handling and care of mystical creatures (such as the breezies).

Rarity of course would be the most tradtionally wealthy as she has not only the money to run a fashion business, but the money to travel to far flung areas to promote said business. She makes quite a packet just by looking at the materials she uses in her elaborate dresses.

Twilight is the richest simply because royalty. They live in a Diarchy and as such she would hardly need to physically pay for anything, and if she does she can always reach into the kingdoms coffer.

Sources:

http://www.mathon.org.uk/mathons-history/ralph-spencers-histories/the-old-community/18th-century

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cottage%20industry

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm

Edited by M'aiq the Liar
  • Brohoof 2

• 10 months later...

Rarity has a status business.  Clothes in EQ are sort of like fancy cars or jewelry in ours.  She was probably struggling in Season1, but now she has made dresses for Cadence's wedding, the Gala & many others.  Her business is taking off & she is getting rich ,+ income from gem hunting.

Apple Jack has her farm, which seems large.  Still, as Herbert Hoover said "Any business that buys retail and sells wholesale is in trouble"  Taking time off to save EQ can't help.

Pinkie  works as a trainee baker, party planner (though how much is paid & how much free?) & some baby sitting.  Still, if she lives with the Cakes, she doesn't need much.

Dash is head weather pony in Ponyville (at least, she acts as such in the pilot & Winter Wrap Up)  Weather is probably a civil service job & those are notoriously poorly paid.  She has a fancy house, but what is the upkeep?  Fair income for her age, but probably spends it all & no savings

Twilight probably had a stipend for being Celestia's student and/ or librarian.  Now, she is a Princess with her castle but what income (if any) goes with that?  Straw in the wind.  Spike eats gems & her family could keep him fed.  Even though gems apparently cost less in EQ (they are used as sequins on clothes), her family probably has money. They applied for Celestia's school, they couldn't know she would get a scholarship & she has that telescope.  But, just because your family has money, does NOT mean you do.

Fluttershy keeps chickens & probably sells eggs + some income as vet & pet trainer.  However, she is probably borderline destitute.  Rarity organized a fund raiser for her in S4 & IMO, she needs it.  She spends all her money on her critters & is a poor bargainer.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity: since her job heavily revolves heavily around sales and ever changing trends I would say it probably varies quite a bit. She had a few very high profile clients and very large jobs that probably netted her a pretty penny but those are only a few orders of many she probably gets and most of her order probably aren't that extravagant. She probably has busy times and slow times so I would imagine that in order to be successful one thing she likely had to learn was discipline, save enough money to be able to support herself when business is slow and put enough for supplies to able to keep her business going.

Applejack: Applejack's work heavily revolves around the seasons, her slowest season is winter due to it being pretty much impossible to get any farming done in winter so that is essentially her vacation time, though with how resourceful Applejack is I wouldn't put it past her to be able to continue to bake and sell apple pies throughout winter. Apple harvest times to be around fall which is probably when her busiest season is and most likely when she has Applebuck Season and Cider Season. She probably picks up a decent amount of business in spring and summer as well though.

Twilight Sparkle: Before her ascension she for sure got a paycheck from running the town library and may have gotten a stipend after her ascension. It is probably a modest stipend which likely has a fund for certain expenses in relation to her duties.

Rainbow Dash: I have often wondered how Rainbow Dash is able to afford that house she has on a government job that while I am sure it pays a relatively decent wage, but not one that would normally be able to buy something like that.

Pinkie Pie: Apprentice bakers don't make that much money, since she pretty much lives with the Cakes that helps with certain expenses though Pinkie Pie is basically making what would likely be Equestria's equivalent of minimum wage though I wouldn't be surprised if she got paid to plan parties on the side for extra cash.

Fluttershy: She makes just barely enough to support herself and the various critters she is responsible for. She likely relies on nature for certain supplies and needs which can cut down on certain costs and help a great deal.

• Brohoof 2

Obviously we do not have any clear indication of how many bits are needed to cover the cost of living but its safe to say the mane six have that baseline covered. That being said how much do you think they make based on their jobs, homes, and material possessions? Who do you think makes the most bits? Who do you think makes the least?

I think Pinkie maybe the poorest of the mane six cause she is the only one with two jobs, a la working for the Cakes and being a professional party planner.

Flutters special skillset of negotiating with wildlife and taming monsters has got her quite the set up with a cottage and being able to indulge in regular trips to the spa

Twilight probably gets bits from celestia as well as the librarian gig (well...she DID have the librarian gig anyway...) but I do not think its a whole lot

Applejack and Rarity are highly entrepreneurial and driven to push their respective buisnesses and considering the sheer volume of Apples Applejacks family works with and The high profile clients and all the jewels Rarity works with it would be safe to asume they both make a ton of bits. Though Applejack may have high overhead with all that barn raising and farming animals.

Rainbow Dash seems to have a government job clearing the skies and while it affords her that spiffy cloud house that seems like a mansion she does seem to still need to do odd jobs like wrecking Applejacks decrepit barn.

I am not sure how to translate this info into real world numbers but my general hypothosis is Rarity, Apple Jack, and Fluttershy probably make a lot more then Twilight, rainbow dash, and Pinkie Pie.

What do you think?

The Mane 6 are best friends. Applejack would never charge Rainbow Dash if apple fritters were offered on the house to Rarity. But I believe Rainbow Dash must be wealthy enough if she can afford her Cloudominium but she did odd jobs such as flyby advertising when Fluttershy was a model. Applejack and Rarity obviously make the most though, but who earns more is debatable. The Apple family's oligopoly on fruit even reaches chilli peppers if you read the comics and I imagine that they have a healthy entrepreneurship going for them, if they cater for so many community events. Rarity may be planning to expand her business if the episode title Canterlot Boutique is anything to go by. 

I think in terms of income, it might be:

1. Rarity

2. Applejack

3. Rainbow Dash

4. Fluttershy

5. Twilight Sparkle

6. Pinkie Pie

(edited)

Bear in mind however that the ponies who are self-employed will also have to factor in expenses...farms I think would be pretty expensive to run so AJ might not be as well off as she might appear at first sight.

I can't speak for Rarity because I've not seen a single episode with her yet, but tailors aren't always particularly well off unless they get lucrative commissions.

Twilight may be in the most advantageous position of the mane 6, probably gets some form of non-taxble stipend. Traditionally titles come with land and so there are a variety of ways that she could make some dosh from it through leasing or working it. That's not to mention the other tax exemptions she might get for being royalty. Plus she still seems to work, so there may be even more money in her coffers. Not to mention all the things she can claim back on working for the government :P

To round off, I can't give figures, but I reckon Twilight is the richest, followed by Rarity and AJ. If Rainbow Dash is employed directly to clear the skies then she may well be next, maybe with some nice packages attached. Pinkie next for the baking, supplemented by the party organising (I imagine because it seems pretty homebrew that she could get away with a little undeclared income...) Followed finally by Fluttershy.

EDIT: I stand corrected about Rarity. Cheers Ribbonfree :)

Edited by Mobley

I can't speak for Rarity because I've not seen a single episode with her yet, but tailors aren't always particularly well off unless they get lucrative commissions.

She's not a tailor, she's a designer and has a business centered around it, albeit a business where she's also personally responsible for most of the grunt work. We've seen her providing for Sapphire Shores, who seems to be the Equestrian equivalent of a big-ticked star.

That aside I agree with one of the more common consensuses here for the most part. Twilight gets a stipend as a Princess, Fluttershy and Pinkie probably work the most mundane jobs and make the least, Rainbow has money from parents or inheritance or some other source besides her job (though she does seem to lead Ponyville's weather detail despite her extreme unreliability, given how she can boss other pegasi around in the episodes where weather stuff is pertinent. Maybe she makes extra due to a leadership role?). The only thing I'd add is that I feel that AJ's family seems to routinely have financial troubles and dry spells, so I theorize that her business is a bit unstable, which makes sense to me since farming is a very merciless profession IRL where a lot can go wrong.

So I'd roughly rank them Rarity-Rainbow-Twilight-AJ-Fluttershy-Pinkie. The last two becaus Fluttershy at least seems to own her livelihood, whereas Pinkie is merely a low time employee (this also helps me with my headcanon that she's the youngest of the Mane Six and the most likely to be lower on the employment ladder than the other girls).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rarity, Apple Jack, and Fluttershy probably make a lot more then Twilight, rainbow dash, and Pinkie Pie.

Twilight is a princess, I think she is the most advantaged in this sense.Also I don't think that Fluttershy make a lot more than Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie.I think they are at the same level (more or less).Indeed, I think that Pinkie Pie could earn something more than Fluttershy.

Edited by Shadow Ghost

Seeing as the ponies are least likely to wear clothing it's highly unlikely for ponies to buy clothes on a regular basis, they might buy them only for special occasions like the Grand Galloping Gala. Ponyville ponies seem the least likely to buy any of Rarity's products resulting in poor business. If Rarity has any sponsors they haven't really appeared. I would assume those celebrities pay for her clothing but don't think they give her sponsorship just advertisement otherwise she would be living in the lap of luxury by now. The materials aren't cheap and it has been shown in Pony and Dog Show Rarity has to dig up jewels on her own. The Boutique is mostly a clothing store and her workplace, her living quarters are actually not that grandiose to indicate she has any pocket money left after buying materials.

I'm not sure how Fluttershy makes money. She does have a chicken coop so she might sell the eggs perhaps? Though that doesn't seem like what Fluttershy might do.

(edited)

Pinkie always has a ton of bits with her

She has a file [s5E11] of everypony (and not just ponies, but all kinds of citizens [s2E18]) of Ponyville.

Based on how relaxed Spike was with Pinkie´s "dark room interrogation" in S1E25 (not to mention how effective Gummy performed as her lizard assistant); she probably does this regulary to "obtain information".

(She admitted to be "a pony with a [party] problem" [s2E24]). If she was some kind of a "master mind" mafia criminal [after the godmother "Maretrona Rarity", of course]; instead of the "dumb crazy psycho" everypony suspects; then she could get all the money she needs to buy gunpowder for her partycannon (and other resources for her parties), basically by "negation of fun" or trough revelation of secrets; as she takes promises and memories very seriously, (on every season, she has an episode making that clear: [s1E20], [s2E14], [s3E07], [s4E12], [s5E11]).

Edited by SilverComet

I would assume Applejack makes the most, by selling all the apples, the cider, being sponsored by Filthy Roch, Sweet Apple Acres is a business as it is. I'd guess Twilight gets something for being a princess. Rarity probably makes a decent amount too, but as people said before, ponies don't really wear clothes unless on special occasions, they might wear accessories though, so there's that. I'd guess celebrities, nobles and ponies that have to attend special events would be her main source of income.

Dunno about Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, their jobs don't seem all that well-paying. But Pinkie is Pinkie, she could probably sneeze bits. I'm not sure if Fluttershy even has a job..I guess babysitting animals?

None of them seem to have economic troubles though, so I'm guessing they're all content with their payments. :P

I think Twilight still makes money by organizing events. The matter of finances is kept in the dark in this series trying to keep the focus on the duty rather than the compensation.