Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much do the mane six make at their jobs?

Buck Testa

(edited)

Hard to say at this point now, but money is no issue for any of them at this point. They can all afford a house and attend to their basic needs as far as standard of living is concerned.

Rarity and Applejack just make enough to sustain their businesses, though Rarity can seemingly indulge in a luxurious lifestyle to an extent.

Pinkie Pie makes a modest income at Sugarcube Corner and also through party planning.

Fluttershy was a fashion model at one point, but she probably forages and harvests a lot of the stuff she needs to take care of the animals on her own anyways.

Rainbow Dash again makes a fair income with her weather duty occupation for he time being, but that is not where she wants to be as far as longterm goals are concerned.

Twilight is in a position where money is no issue at this point, but if princesses do get paid then they get paid handsomely. 

Edited by UnknownFry

• 7 months later...
(edited)

I thought I would revive this old topic with the coming of this next Season of MLP

Rarity without a doubt is the one of the Richest of the main six especially since

She is going to open up a THIRD STORE in season 6, meaning her two stores have been raking in some amazing business. She's going to have an enterprise at this point lol

She has multiple stores.

Twilight still doesn't have any guards or ponies working for her just yet, so I don't know how much money she's raking in just yet even with her being a princess. If she had a staff on hand and guards around her castle that would be an indicator of finances.

Applejack still has that high overhead, but she does some pretty stellar business none the less.

Pinkie Pie is getting money from somewhere, that much is certain. The fact that she has enough money to make a secret underground lair where she keeps her party planning records tells me she's either secretly working for the government or the Cakes are ridiculously generous to their employees.

Rainbow still has that nice looking cloud house and all that merchandise, so her government job pays pretty well, and Flutters business of managing the animals is pretty vital.

So my Ranking of how much money they make before season six starts would be

Rarity: Due to multiple stores and employees

Twilight or Applejack; Royalty and a strong business mare 

Pinkie Pie: She has at least ONE secret lair which couldn't of been cheap to build, she's getting money from somewhere 

Rainbow Dash: Government job 

Fluttershy: More of a labor of love, but probably well paying. 

Edited by Buck Testa

I would have to say that do to being royalty that Twilight would be the wealthiest of the mane 6, with Rarity following behind do to actually having her own store and being business savvy.

But on the other end of the spectrum due to the type of home she has, I assume that Fluttershy makes the least money out of all the mane 6. (But then again we don't really know how she makes money.)

This is a tricky question since we are given very few hints on how much the bit is worth in Equestria and how much inflation has happened within the timeline of the story. Most bit exchanges seem to be done with Applejack and the rest of the Apple family ("Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" and "The Best Night Ever"), so get from those what you will. I'm not sure if we've seen ponies pay Rarity for a dress...did that happen at all in Canterlot Boutique?

Also, Spike got paid in gems once, but that was a one time even.

As someone who barely paid attention in economics class, I'm not gonna get too involved in this convo. 

Edited by PacificGreen

Twilight still doesn't have any guards or ponies working for her just yet, so I don't know how much money she's raking in just yet even with her being a princess. If she had a staff on hand and guards around her castle that would be an indicator of finances.

Even without staff, a fully renovated and functional castle is a hideously expensive thing to maintain - as a guideline, this website estimates costs of about $100,000 per year on maintenance for a 'mid-sized estate' of a manor and around 1,500 acres (although old castles are MUCH more expensive to run, this one is newer and so probably not as expensive yet.) Staff would apparently be between $600,000 and $1,000,000 extra, so that would suggest that Twilight has a budget somewhere between $100,000 and $700,000 per year for her castle, although I suspect that I have underestimated it by quite a bit. If she's still running a small laboratory then that will be another expense - maintaining temperamental high-tech scientific equipment isn't exactly cheap, and then there will be travel costs, food and general day-to-day costs, royal events... she probably needs quite a few bits per year from Celestia to keep everything from falling over.

Rarity may well have a higher gross income, though if Twilight has all expenses covered by the royal treasury with no questions asked then she will have more spending power.

Pinkie pie is either using her pinkie sense to bet on the... whatever they have instead of horses or she makes a lot of money from running parties.

If Dash ever becomes a full Wonderbolt then that will be a decent income, albeit nowhere near the scale of Rarity or Twilight.

If Applejack is the sole supplier of cider to Ponyville then that must be a decent earner, although she don't seem to have much in the way of farming equipment (a good way of measuring a farm's success.) That may be a pride thing, though, although even then it will limit the size of their operation and thus their income. 

Fluttershy... well, if she does freelance vet work then she could earn a fair bit, kind of hard to tell since I doubt she would spend much even if she had plenty of money.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1