Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you prefer a job that pays well rather than the one you enjoy?

碇 シンジン

Would you take the job you don't enjoy doing because it pays well?  

83 users have voted

1. 1. Would you take a job you don't enjoy because it pays well?

• Yes! I don't care what I do. Just give me the money.
    • No I'd rather take the job I enjoy doing even if I didn't get that much money..

Believe me when I say: Money can't buy harmony (it can buy temporary happiness tho)

Example? I like to be among people, and I like drinks (and making them). Result? I'm going to take a barista course soon. I don't plan on doing any other job. The paycheck will probably be just enough to rent a nice apartment and pay the bills but... does it really matter when MY job gives me all the happiness I need (and I even get paid)? :V

On the other side, you got 8 hours of possible torment (you DO NOT WANT to be stuck doing something you hate for 8 hours a day, 5 days out of 7 for your whole life), a lot of money and not enough time to enjoy it to the fullest.

Edited by Colon Vee
  • Brohoof 1

I am going to be working jobs I detest for the rest of my life. I want to live simply and be self-sufficiant. But taxes and BS get in the way, and no matter what job I get, It won't be me living my dreams because the jobs I dream about are not only obsolete, but really don't exist today (anything to do with steam engines and blacksmithing, although you can become a Master Blacksmith and make a living doing it, it takes about 40 years to get to that point)....

• Brohoof 2

Im in university studying a bachelors of game development. I believe that most games developers who aren't heavy coders tend to be paid a very average wage (at least in Aus). For me its not about the money at all. I have no desire to own a huge 3 story mansion or own 3 cars or whatever crap people assume rich people want. Personally I want to enjoy my work. I can not do a job I don't enjoy, it just sucks the life out of me and I become a grumpy person.

Id suggest following your heart, not your wallet.

• Brohoof 3

It depends. I would rather enjoy my life, however, being financially screwed can create a lot of misery. Not that it matters since I get disability, which I am fine with for what it is, but if I had to choose, it would be 'enjoyable' over 'money' but that has a lot of risks really. One little thing goes wrong and if you aren't bringing in a decent wage, in America, you are going to have misery and stress abound.

• Brohoof 1

While many a person would say follow your heart, in today's current economic situation, I'd take a medicore job that pays well, over my dream job that only makes $11 an hour. Now obivously I would take being happy over being in a incredibly stressful environment and having to combat co-workers all day (although I do love me some combat) I would take a more mundane 9-5 job that pays better over my dream job. As finical security goes along way in today's world, and I'd rather be pulling a trigger for a private company that pays better than doing it on my dream team for a law enforcment agency.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to do a job I enjoy, but I guess not everyone is that lucky. I'm not even sure what job I want, but I guess I'll find out eventually  :derp:

• Brohoof 1

Well, it depends. My current job, which isn't bad, is by far NOT the most enjoyable career out there. I'm sure there are ones that would satsify me more, BUT...just don't know which.

• Brohoof 1

The job I want in the future is an airline pilot job. However, training is expensive, and the flight instructor job most people work at to build experience doesn't pay well either, not to mention people who finally become pilots start at the regionals, in which pay could be as low as $16000 a year. Sad right? Pilots flying bigger jets are the ones getting paid more ($150,000+), which is what people think all pilots earn..

• Brohoof 1

I would much rather have a job that I enjoy, since I wouldn't want to be stuck doing a job I dislike for 8 hours a day and 5 days a week... and even if it payed well, I wouldn't have a ton of time to use the money for what I want (world travel). I don't feel like I need much money for other things, though.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

Im in university studying a bachelors of game development. I believe that most games developers who aren't heavy coders tend to be paid a very average wage (at least in Aus). For me its not about the money at all. I have no desire to own a huge 3 story mansion or own 3 cars or whatever crap people assume rich people want. Personally I want to enjoy my work. I can not do a job I don't enjoy, it just sucks the life out of me and I become a grumpy person.

Bolded what matters at the end of the day. Business and Marketing were my initial degree focus, and it did land me a decent paying job with Ford Motor Company. I didn't hate it exactly, but saying that I felt fulfilled would be an astronomical stretch. I took a risk and made a concerted effort to bring my hobby (programming and web design/development) into sync with my career path I was already on. Long story short (and several ABET/CAC programs later) ... I had the credentials to do more that piecemeal freelance and collab work. I now have a job that almost makes me feel like life could not get any better right now. At some point in the future I will likely considering consulting, but for now ... I love what I do. As long as it paid the bills I would still be satisfied.

I'm going to put this here one more time.

Personally I want to enjoy my work. I can not do a job I don't enjoy, it just sucks the life out of me and I become a grumpy person.

• Brohoof 2

At my current job I make $15 an hour with some great benefits and still haven't reach top pay (it somewhere in the low to mid 20's) yet I am miserable. It is not that I am not grateful for what I do have but there is so much bullshit I have to put up with on my job and of course my injuries keep piling up which combined with the stress from the job is destroying me physically, mentally and emotionally it got so bad last year that it nearly drove me to suicide.

I am strongly considering becoming a history teacher which is a profession which dosen't pay much at all but is one that I am very likely to enjoy because it is a subject I am passionate about and I would have the opportunity to make a difference in peoples lives.That is a goal that will take a while though so luckily I have some plans that if they succeed will make the rest of my stay in the grocery industry much more bearable which are described in this recent blogpost I made.

http://mlpforums.com/blog/456/entry-13028-receiving-some-potential-good-news/

Money is great but what is the point of having it if you can't even enjoy it? I just want enough to where I am independent, can support myself and a family if I should choose to have one and maybe be able to get a few extras every now and then.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

Any job you have is going to suck some of the time-because you're obligated to be there whether you feel like it or not.

I've worked at least 2 jobs most of my adult life-sometimes I like them, sometimes I hate them. If it's providing you and your family with what you need, that's more the pay-off than a job you like imo.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I can do a job that keeps me miserable. The idea is horrifying but I have the terrible feeling that's what I'll end up doing, since most of my family has desk jobs and I lack the skills to do anything other than what I am told.  :unsure: If I could do something I loved for a job, I wouldn't mind the small salary too much. I'd feel like I'm not wasting some of the most important years of my life.

...Becoming an adult is gonna be scary. :(

• Brohoof 1