Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does your writing reflect your form of speech?

Felix

It does, and depending on the piece I am writing, I have to adjust that. Such as a symposium for my work, or a speech on statistics, proposals for the business/industry, things of that sort. However, when I'm on here, I tend to type exactly as I speak. But if I'm writing a story, it depends on the type of story I'm writing that dictates how I write it. Simple as that. So worry not, my friends, how I type on here is how I speak in real life! ; 3

• 11 months later...

Amy Tan, in her essay Mother Tongue (1990) describes this as the use of different "Englishes." Everyone has multiple modes of English that they are able to speak. When you're with your friends, you obviously speak informally and probably with naughty words. When talking with your parents, you probably avoid naughty words. When writing an essay for uni, you use academic English; English that sounds smart to demonstrate that you know what you're talking about. So to answer the thread's title, my writing (in an academic or professional setting) doesn't reflect my speech. 

I recommend having a read of that essay btw, it's actually funny and interesting. If you're really interested in how these different "Englishes" can affect our lives, have a read of Accent, Standard Language Ideology, and Discriminatory Pretext in the Courts (1994) by Lippi-Green. Accent and modes of speech can have massive impacts on our lives.