Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Braces, what's your dental journey?

iceestarz

It's been almost 4 years since I've had the start of my dental journey. I'm done with it, have been for a couple years. 

Teeth went from looking like this biting down

IMG_0586.JPG.a6040f1ec6473b4cc4b5d937afd46844.JPG

to looking like this

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.64c250896aeb9a118e4003c9fa6aa5b0.JPG

I love my teeth. Floss so much and make sure they're always complimented at the dentist haha.

I had braces between my freshman and junior years of high school. I had them put on in the fall and removed in the fall. I don't miss them one bit. XD I hated having them adjusted and then have my whole mouth sore for days on end, and those rubber spacers that were put on the week prior were the worst.  

• Brohoof 1

My dental structure is out order, having one of my canines over the gums, way above what would be a normal lineup. Wisdom teeth sticking out horizontally, not only pushing my lower incisors out of place, but also crushing one of my molars, etc.

Everything has an underlying reason, much like with the chronic heart disease in our genealogy, along with cancer and other illness. There's also one for our teeth issues.

Rearranging my mouth won't heal the generational damage inherent to our genetic tree. And given the countless lives my ancestry has invested in medicine, for naught, trying to fix something only present on the subtle layer, that is our dna. I've given up on any physical aproach to our conditions.

If it is to come, then let it.

I got my braces off a number of years back. I wish it could have gone better. My orthodontist was very mean, and she often wouldn't stick the braces down right, so if there was an issue with it, I'd be the one to get the blame. I remember coming in one day not long after one of the brackets popped off, and she put her hands on her hips, looked at me with a condescending sneer, and with a dramatic sigh, said, "Well? What have you done this time?"

I just looked her straight in the eye and said, "My bracket came off while I was eating soup," as in I hadn't been eating anything hard and there was no possible way that it was my fault. Her face went bright red and she started to stammer and make excuses. It was hilarious. My dentist thought that it was funny, too, because she's constantly being rude to people that she considerers to be beneath her and he knows that well, so hearing that she'd been rendered almost speechless was the highlight of his day. ^_^

If your othodonstist is ever rude to you, don't stand for it. Mine made my neighbour's daughter cry.

• 1 year later...

Having braces was certainly uncomfortable for me and made brushing my teeth a lot more awkward. Having them adjusted was also quite painful.  

I needed braces (and still do) but unfortunately my parents could never afford them. 

I'm kind of glad I never got braces cause from what I've heard they can be a pain in the butt. 

But also having teeth that are not quite straight in different places isn't fun either. :| 

I had my front row teeth misaligned with my molars, and my front top tooth was angled which looked really awkward from the side.

Eventually got braces last year. Had to remove about 4 teeth total, including some baby teeth that never came out. Results were pretty fast :P . My bite feels even now (before it felt like I had to bite sideways in order for the top and bottom to mesh right). Have to pay a decent amount a month though, although I guess it’s worth it in the end since it always bothered me.

Cant eat too hard food, or sticky stuff, like peanut butter :scoots:. (Though I did eat a recess one time :ooh: ...).

I have never worn braces; my teeth are fairly straight since I lost my baby teeth. I take care of my chompers because I don’t want to face the dentist, which has not had a visit from me since I was 11 or 12 years old.

I like crooked teeth and think they add character, same with braces.   

I was told that I need braces since I was 11, though my parents couldn't really handle the expenses, so I never I got them.

I had braces during my teenage years. I had a couple of teeth that were set far back in my mouth that they wanted to move forward. I have a permenant wire fixed on the back of my top row of teeth to prevent them from ever returning to how they once were. Stuck with it for life aparrently. Apologies to any future lovers that decide to go exploring with their tongue.  :yeahno:

• 6 months later...

Luckily all my teeth grew in perfectly, I think I got that from my mum considering she never needed braces when she was younger. But I had two friends who got braces and they both had them in for WAY too many years, complained of pain every time they saw their Orthodontist, got food stuck in them all the time, kept having their brace removal date pushed back due to problems completely out of their hands, honestly sounds like an obnoxious hell to deal with them. OH and years and years of having to avoid chewingum, chewy sweets and tough foods also sounds horrible.

I sucked my thumb until I was 10, so I had a massive overbite. My parents told me that they would get me braces if I cut that shit out, I stopped that day. We couldn’t afford braces, but my dad was friends with an orthodontist through Toastmasters, and she did some of the work pro bono.

I ended up needing a baby tooth pulled because it was fused to the bone. I also needed head gear, a bite plate, and 4 years of braces. I remember in 6th grade after I’d had my braces for a while this kid that used to bully me named Phil world call me Bucky Beaver Teeth. It never really bothered me; I wasn’t a great target for bullies as I didn’t let their harassment bother me. I also thought he was hot. Foolish 6th grade me.

I was supposed to have the bite plate for another 4 months, but got the stomach flu, threw up into the toilet and flushed the thing. The head gear I was supposed to wear to sleep in and it was fine for a few months, but at one point it was tightened by two notches on each side instead of one, and I started taking the thing off in my sleep and throwing it across the room. My mom used to scream at me that I was doing it on purpose. I wasn’t. That made me feel like utter trash.

I wouldn’t call my teeth straight now, but I actually like them the way they are. If I were to fix anything it would be the bottom row as they don’t line up with the top. At all. I like how the top looks a lot. I had a retainer for a while but that shit stop fitting and was lost to the annals of time.

I was always scared to pull out my teeth, so there was a point in high school when I still had two baby teeth (junior year, I think. Man, that's really old to still have baby teeth). I almost needed braces because of that, but luckily my teeth are still mostly straight. A few molars on the roof of my mouth grew in slightly crooked because of that, but thankfully it never caused problems, so I never got braces. As to whether or not my wisdom teeth are going to cause problems, that's for time to tell. Both my sister and my dad got two of them pulled, but my mom never did, so I have no idea what's gonna happen there. My sister didn't get them pulled until she was 21, so I still have a couple years of waiting to find out.

I had mine about 2 1/2 years and have to pull out 8 teeth; four wisdoms teeth and four laterals. Having to take four wisdom at the same time is a pain. But luckily I have a permanent retainer on my lower jaw and only have to worry wearing one for the top at night. Overall the journey was nothing but aches and you feel a like a baby again having the urge to teething because of it.