Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Braces, what's your dental journey?

iceestarz

So this is what my teeth looked like on day 1 when I got my braces on Halloween last year. I had a major overbite and open bite plus my teeth weren't exactly straight. But my jaw was a bigger problem than my teeth were.

post-20175-0-15040300-1410118824_thumb.jpg

^^literally that's me biting down.

In February I had double jaw surgery and wisdom teeth removal. After 6 weeks of excruciating pain from my nerves coming back faster than normal and hunger pains from being on a liquid diet/no chew diet for exactly 6 weeks until my jaw bones healed I pulled through the first part of my journey. Let me tell you, the only part I hated more than not being able to eat real food was for the first week I threw up blood constantly. But this month it'll be officially 7 months since that terrible time in my life. This is the result of the surgery and braces so far.

post-20175-0-75707900-1410118840.jpg

I have a couple gaps on my bottom teeth right now but they'll close up sooner or later. I should be out of braces sometime in the summer. My orthodontist said I'll be in braces for only a few more months. A little less than two years total.

So what's your story, if you have one that is? If not, do you ever think about getting braces?

EDIT: its now been about 14 months into my treatment. The gaps on my bottom teeth are pretty much gone. I have to wear rubber bands all day in a sort of U pattern to help my bite close since I have tongue thrust(causes open bites) which I am working on fixing with these damn spikes my ortho put in my mouth a couple months ago. I'd say I think I kicked that habit but idk.

post-20175-0-25167700-1419267010.jpg

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 1

I've only had braces. Actually just got them off two or three weeks ago!

Other than that I'll have to get my wisdom teeth pulled but that's not a problem.

I've only had braces. Actually just got them off two or three weeks ago!

Other than that I'll have to get my wisdom teeth pulled but that's not a problem.

Ahh, wisdom teeth. I was lucky enough to have my jaw surgery done at the same time. Which usually never happens. But I had no other choice. My dad was retiring from the army and we were going to be moving in March. So I didn't have to worry about taking care of the area, since they sewed up the sockets with dissolvable stitches.

Teeth are so weird without braces. My new orthodontist had to take off my top brackets and put new ones on so that they were higher up and my god I saw my top teeth without braces and it was just freaky. :P

Ah teeth, my dental adventure started when I was just a wee bite of a lad, my teeth had only just come in. My sister and I were spinning around in a swivel chair just having a ball and joyous laughter. All was fine and dandy until she happened to just accidentally, let go. FWOOOSH! I flew across the room and my face slammed into a wall. Im sure that was painful, I do not remember as I was just a little munchkin. There was a lot of blood and my parents spent time searching for my teeth until they realized, I hadn't lost the teeth, they had just all been shoved right back into my head. When the teeth came back in, they were very screwed up and eventually, had to be pulled so my adult teeth could get in. Many years of braces followed, and now my teeth are wonderfully aligned. I am 19 and have no issues with my wisdom teeth and am hoping that I never do, as my father never had to have his taken out. Regardless, that is my dental adventure.

• Brohoof 1

Ahh, wisdom teeth. I was lucky enough to have my jaw surgery done at the same time. Which usually never happens. But I had no other choice. My dad was retiring from the army and we were going to be moving in March. So I didn't have to worry about taking care of the area, since they sewed up the sockets with dissolvable stitches.

Teeth are so weird without braces. My new orthodontist had to take off my top brackets and put new ones on so that they were higher up and my god I saw my top teeth without braces and it was just freaky. :P

Still sounded like one heck of a time though. Quite a mess. xP

Hah, just wait until you get them off completely. Your teeth will feel all slimy and weird. xD

Still sounded like one heck of a time though. Quite a mess. xP

Hah, just wait until you get them off completely. Your teeth will feel all slimy and weird. xD

I was too mesmerized by the size of my teeth to even think about running my tongue across them. xD

I think I'll put up with the feeling if it means I can floss like a normal person though :derp:

I was too mesmerized by the size of my teeth to even think about running my tongue across them. xD

I think I'll put up with the feeling if it means I can floss like a normal person though :derp:

Fair enough! xD

Oh yeah. I'll happily floss because it's so easy and comfortable without braces.

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 1

Ugh, I hate talking about braces. I know I'm going to have to get them someday. :(

I also have a major overbite. That's the reason why I'm probably going to get braces. My teeth are kind of crooked and don't line up perfectly.

Ugh, I hate talking about braces. I know I'm going to have to get them someday. :(

I also have a major overbite. That's the reason why I'm probably going to get braces. My teeth are kind of crooked and don't line up perfectly.

They're not as bad as the sound! :)

I mean yeah it kinda sucks having to floss between the wires, although for the top teeth I don't have to cause the brackets are super high up. The ortho appointments aren't that bad. Getting the wires taken off hurt for a second when they like pop the brackets open to get the wire out. I've only cried once, but my orthodontist put a few bends in the wire so it was super hard for the assistant to close one of the brackets. But it's really awesome to have straight teeth and jaws that line up.

Literally all my life only 4 of my teeth touched. After the surgery it was amazing for my jaws and teeth actually all in the correct place.

Edited by Cupcakes14

Before my braces were put on, 4 of my molars (And a baby tooth that never came out, the adult incisor pushed it's way through my gums without even moving the old tooth.) were removed so that my teeth could actually be moved back. Humans have 32 teeth, I have 28.

• Brohoof 1

I never had braces even though my teeth are not straight at all. It probably had to do with my hyper sensitive gag reflex which makes it very hard for dentists to work on me for even a regular checkup.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I had to get braces in high school because my last adult tooth (one of the canine teeth) was stuck up in the roof of my mouth. So I went into surgery so they could get at it and attach a little chain to it, then they attached the chain to my braces and eventually it pulled the stubborn thing into place.  :wat:

I had braces for almost two years, and then I wore a retainer. It was terrible and I hated the entire process (except for Halloween because my nerd costume shall never be so on point as then), especially when they were molding my teeth. They made me keep my mouth open for about thirty minutes while they gagged me with that clay-stuff, and after that I couldn't eat, which sucked because I had to skip breakfast that day. P:

But now my teeth are super straight and everyone's always complementing them. 9/10 Would recommend.

Never had braces and never well. My honest opinion, I feel like they're excuses for more money. They did try to get me to get braces because I had an overbite and a few gaps (that were hereditary). I knew nothing was wrong with my teeth and I kinda like my teeth. I like my overbite. I feel like i'd look ridiculous. I think they should be your choice. If you want perfect teeth and them to be straight thats cool or IF your teeth REALLY are badly crooked, I can see why. 

I just think they want more and more money, I mean, who can blame them, money is money, but still. I feel like they try and force them. My teeth are all straight, except for gaps and an overbite, but thats the way I was born. 

My teeth were horribly placed when i was 12, that's when i got my braces. Finished the procedure 2 and a half years later. My teeth look nice and straight now, almost perfectly aligned.

Edited by Random Insomniac

No braces yet, but I just had a root canal. Waiting to get a crown on it, because the dentist is backlogged to February. (yes, I'm freaking out about that)

Nothing stranger than the smell of tooth dust when you know it's your own tooth dust.

I used to think I had good teeth, but as I got older I realized I was entirely wrong. I had jokingly suggested that I get braces, and my dentist said I shouldn't ever need them. Last trip he said I should get Invisalign. Like it really took you 5 years to tell me my teeth weren't straight. I could have gotten better and quicker results from Magic-8 ball

I never needed braces, thankfully.  I've always had a minor overbite, but my dentist(s) always said that if it doesn't cause me any problems, then I don't need to do anything about it.

Incidentally, I always get a kick out of telling people about my wisdom teeth removal.  I was kept awake.  Most people are shocked and horrified when they hear that.  The doc gave me a choice: be put out, or just have a local anesthetic.  It was no contest for me.  I'm afriad of being knocked out because I'm (jokingly) afraid it will cause a Stir of Echoes.  But seriously, it scares me, I'm afraid of stuff going wrong, or that when I wake up I'll never feel like me again.  Anyway, it was a bit trippy.  The cracking of the teeth from the jaw, whoo doggies, that was a lot of pressure!  And loud.  Really scary sounding.  And it made me instantly dizzy.  But no pain until I got home, then it started.  Worst couple of weeks of my life.

• Brohoof 1

No braces for me even though one or two of my teeth are a bit crooked. Perhaps I should've got some but honestly I don't really care too much now. They aren't too bad so it's all good.

Don't hate on me for this. As a kid, I had problems with executive functioning REALLY badly. So, what are about to hear will not be pleasant at all.

I hardly brushed my teeth as a child. My parents would tell me to go in the bathroom and brush them. When I got there, I forgot what I had been told and would come out of the bathroom again. Later on, I ended up regretting that and now have to get the rest of my teeth pulled because they are bad. My insurance won't cover implants either, so I'll end up having dentures... which kind of sucks. D: I also lost my front tooth in a horrible biking accident when I was nine years old. They were able to put it back in, but it wouldn't connect to the root since it was dead. It end up falling out a few years or so later.

I have also had braces, which only made things worse for me. I couldn't take care of the braces on my teeth because I really had no idea how, being disabled and such. D: After I got them off, my teeth are far worse than before because I couldn't care for them properly growing up. Again, this all because of my special needs and such as a kid or teenager.

Edited by Lady Loki
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I had my braces when I was 10 years old and had a serious cavity on my teeth. My dad forcefully took me to a orthodontist at Oakville. The sad part was, I was feeling weird to have those my braces on my teeth as I knew that I’m going to be a laughing stock among my school friends. Thereby, the orthodontist suggested me to wear Invisalign ( http://www.wilkandwilk.com/invisalign/what-is-invisalign/ )which is called to be the hidden braces and teenagers prefer it the most.