Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Antagonist ideas

Plonkett

Since we've been having ideas for villains, how about ideas for antagonists? I'm talking about characters like Gilda, Trixie, Diamond Dogs, Flim Flam brothers, and Iron Will.

I'd have an antagonist who's actually a G1 character, which would be Bray. In FiM he would be Cranky Doodle Donkey's long lost nephew. He comes to Ponyville and finds Cranky. They basically have a lot of issues with each other. He also meets the ponies, and of course gives them a really hard time.

I was thinking of some kind of dude who had a relationship with one of the mane 6 during their childhoods. He comes to Ponyville one day and gives that mane 6 member a hard time, which ticks off the rest of the friends, and things happen.

Dunno who it might be, though.

I was thinking of some kind of dude who had a relationship with one of the mane 6 during their childhoods. He comes to Ponyville one day and gives that mane 6 member a hard time, which ticks off the rest of the friends, and things happen.

Dunno who it might be, though.

Gilda was a friend of Dash, though....

Bray? Ah, yes, Grogar's henchdonkey. If he appears, let him be with Grogar. Their relationship was quite hilarious.

As for which antagonist, maybe Trixie could return. I don't want her, but people for some reason beg for her. I want the Diamond Dogs to reappear, they were the most interesting and entertaining minor baddies, and some of the few secondary characters I remember from FiM.

And if it's possible I would like the Diamond Dogs to team up with their G1 inspiration, Crunch, the Rock Dog.

Edited by Darker
  • Brohoof 1

Since we've been having ideas for villains, how about ideas for antagonists? I'm talking about characters like Gilda, Trixie, Diamond Dogs, Flim Flam brothers, and Iron Will.

I'd have an antagonist who's actually a G1 character, which would be Bray. In FiM he would be Cranky Doodle Donkey's long lost nephew. He comes to Ponyville and finds Cranky. They basically have a lot of issues with each other. He also meets the ponies, and of course gives them a really hard time.

Wait what? For real? I think what we need are more true villains not lesser bad guys like those.

I'm talking about characters like Nightmare Moon, Discord, King Sombra, Queen Chrysalis and Lord Tirek.

EDIT: Oh wait sorry just read the whole thing. Yeah I see what you mean now,

Edited by Asbel Lhant

Gilda was a friend of Dash, though....

But Gilda didn't harass Dash, she picked on Pinkie. I'm talking about some Ex Friend, say, from Twilight's childhood. That Ex Friend comes to PV one day and acts like a dick towards Twilight, and her current friends try to do something about it.

But Gilda didn't harass Dash, she picked on Pinkie. I'm talking about some Ex Friend, say, from Twilight's childhood. That Ex Friend comes to PV one day and acts like a dick towards Twilight, and her current friends try to do something about it.

You're right. I'd rather it was a friend of say, Fluttershy, or Rarity. Who'd bully a princess.

A group representing "The Elements of Antagonism", with someone representing an element that's opposite to the Mane 6 have.

That could work as a finale villain. The Mane 6's greatest enemies should be theirselves. That would be pretty cool.

What if there was a antagonist who tries to outdo Fluttershy at what she's best at? They would try to take her place, but would find it too hard too keep a good attitude and Fluttershy would have her place in Pony Ville again.

Edited by rpc8169

I think there should be a new villain. The queen of the red and black Alicorns. She is defeated, and all the other red and black Alicorns are banished from Equestria and locked in a dungeon in the place they were banished to. 

Or Smooze. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Twilight knows he will return. 

I think there should be a new villain. The queen of the red and black Alicorns. She is defeated, and all the other red and black Alicorns are banished from Equestria and locked in a dungeon in the place they were banished to. 

Or Smooze. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Twilight knows he will return. 

Well I'm not talking about actual villains, just antagonists that appear in the middle of a season.

I'd actually like and antagonist who isn't always an antagonist. Someone who actually isn't good or bad, an anti-hero of sorts, one who moves to their own beat and would be both good or bad depending on what each side has that they want.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 2

I'd actually like and antagonist who isn't always an antagonist. Someone who actually isn't good or bad, an anti-hero of sorts, one who moves to their own beat and would be both good or bad depending on what each side has that they want.

Hmm, an anti-hero would be a great thing for the show. A vilgilante character perhaps?

Hmm, an anti-hero would be a great thing for the show. A vilgilante character perhaps?

Basically. I actually have an idea for this vigilante anti-hero actually being an alter ego for Fluttershy, expressing all the repressed aspects of her personality, while not hurting animals or the Mane 6 of course. BTW, I made a topic discussing this. http://mlpforums.com/topic/109785-should-fluttershy-have-an-alter-ego/

Well, if I was going to choose an antagonist, I'd probably create one that was a genuine threat to not only the mane six, but to all of Equestria.  In addition, they would have to be able to counter the power of the current incarnation of the Elements of Harmony (the Rainbow Powers, or whatever they might become in the future).  There is one character that I created for an old fanfic that could probably fit that criteria.

Note that the following is strictly fan fiction continuity and has no bearing on the plot of FiM.

Anyway, her real name is Queen Aurora.  But she is probably better known as the Nightmare Queen.  She is an Alicorn, and she's female, of course.  And she has a few pretty big secrets to her.

First of all, she was the one that caused Luna to become Nightmare Moon in the first place.  Here's how it happened.  When Luna's jealousy started to take hold and she confronted Celestia about it, well it would have resulted in an argument, but they would have eventually cooled off.  Except Aurora has the power to manifest negative feelings such as hatred and jealousy into a physical form.  So from behind the scenes, she amplified Luna's jealousy, causing her inevitable transformation into Nightmare Moon.  In addition, she had some degree of control over NMM, causing her to almost kill Celestia, and ultimately resulting in the mane six discovering the Elements back in episode 2 of the series.  In the end, Luna was returned to normal, though she still seems to bear some degree of the power she had as NMM.  This is because Aurora is still alive.  It stands to reason that if Aurora ever meets her end, the powers of Nightmare Moon will likely vanish once and for all (this won't harm Luna, but she will probably go back to just being the Princess of the Night, which she already is anyway).

Secondly, she seems to have some kind of history with Pincess Celestia and Princess Luna.  It isn't clear exactly what that history is, but Celestia might give an indication that she knows her from ages ago.

Finally, and most frighteningly of all, would be her power.  When the mane six first meet her and her generals (five ponies, either male or female, that each have powers of their own), they identify themselves as Elements of Harmony.  Aurora identifies herself as the Element of Control, while the others identify themselves as Passion, Power, Diligence, Charisma and Perception.  So in other words, the mane six sort of meet their match in terms of having to fight against powers similar to their own (though not exactly like their own).  Aurora's own power allows her to take control of the other Elements, should one of her generals be defeated.  So if all five are beaten, she would just become more powerful as she gathered the other Elements.

She also has a backstory and a reason for her actions that go beyond her own power.  So she's not a one-dimensional character either.

Edited by SBaby

Well, if I was going to choose an antagonist, I'd probably create one that was a genuine threat to not only the mane six, but to all of Equestria.  In addition, they would have to be able to counter the power of the current incarnation of the Elements of Harmony (the Rainbow Powers, or whatever they might become in the future).  There is one character that I created for an old fanfic that could probably fit that criteria.

Note that the following is strictly fan fiction continuity and has no bearing on the plot of FiM.

Anyway, her real name is Queen Aurora.  But she is probably better known as the Nightmare Queen.  She is an Alicorn, and she's female, of course.  And she has a few pretty big secrets to her.

First of all, she was the one that caused Luna to become Nightmare Moon in the first place.  Here's how it happened.  When Luna's jealousy started to take hold and she confronted Celestia about it, well it would have resulted in an argument, but they would have eventually cooled off.  Except Aurora has the power to manifest negative feelings such as hatred and jealousy into a physical form.  So from behind the scenes, she amplified Luna's jealousy, causing her inevitable transformation into Nightmare Moon.  In addition, she had some degree of control over NMM, causing her to almost kill Celestia, and ultimately resulting in the mane six discovering the Elements back in episode 2 of the series.  In the end, Luna was returned to normal, though she still seems to bear some degree of the power she had as NMM.  This is because Aurora is still alive.  It stands to reason that if Aurora ever meets her end, the powers of Nightmare Moon will likely vanish once and for all (this won't harm Luna, but she will probably go back to just being the Princess of the Night, which she already is anyway).

Secondly, she seems to have some kind of history with Pincess Celestia and Princess Luna.  It isn't clear exactly what that history is, but Celestia might give an indication that she knows her from ages ago.

Finally, and most frighteningly of all, would be her power.  When the mane six first meet her and her generals (five ponies, either male or female, that each have powers of their own), they identify themselves as Elements of Harmony.  Aurora identifies herself as the Element of Control, while the others identify themselves as Passion, Power, Diligence, Charisma and Perception.  So in other words, the mane six sort of meet their match in terms of having to fight against powers similar to their own (though not exactly like their own).  Aurora's own power allows her to take control of the other Elements, should one of her generals be defeated.  So if all five are beaten, she would just become more powerful as she gathered the other Elements.

She also has a backstory and a reason for her actions that go beyond her own power.  So she's not a one-dimensional character either.

As I stated before, I'm just talking about antagonists like Trixie and Flim Flam brothers, not villains like Chrysalis and Tirek. Also, your character idea is alot like this. http://mickeymonster.deviantart.com/art/Lady-Nightmare-463615329

As I stated before, I'm just talking about antagonists like Trixie and Flim Flam brothers, not villains like Chrysalis and Tirek. Also, your character idea is alot like this. http://mickeymonster.deviantart.com/art/Lady-Nightmare-463615329

Well, the design's nothing like her, but part of the description is similar (she's inspired loosely by a character that is a footnote in one of the comics, but you really don't find out much about that entity).  The major differences are that if she were to stand next to any of the other ponies and she wasn't doing anything, she would just look like an Alicorn (though she would be closer to Luna's height).  She doesn't really display any power unless she's either in a fight, or causing something magic-based to happen.  Of course, her subordinates all fear and respect her.

The other difference is with her powers.  Yes, she manipulated Luna into becoming NMM, but she could only do that because her powers are based on similar principles to the Elements of Harmony.  She doesn't twist them like Discord does though.  Instead, she can use her own to amplify feelings and emotions (she IS the Element of Control).  Negative feelings are often the strongest there are (as well as the most useful to her), so she chooses them.

The last difference would be with her motivation.  She is doing all of this for an unexpected reason, and it ties somewhat into the second point I made about her in the previous post.

Anyway, why not talk about major villains?  Villains make the world interesting, and give the heroes something big to overcome.  Not to mention, villains are antagonists too, in keeping with the topic title.

Edited by SBaby

Antagonist doesn't necessarily mean evil. Just someone who is opposing the main character. 

I'm thinking a pony that is a loner who believes in the power of self, and see's friends and relationships as a hindrance to what a pony can achieve on their own.  Like a cross between Twi and Sunset.  So she's trying to prove that a pony can achieve greatness on their own through willpower, focus,. determination and declining the handouts of friends that make you soft and dependent. Of course this undermines the very foundation of Equestria and causes a conflict of 6 ponies fighting for friendship vs. a pony and her followers believing in self-determination. Two opposing ideals that both hold positive messages in their own way. Now tha's an episode to get ya thinkin. 

They haven't had the tragic villain antagonist who was betrayed by friendship. Could have a character who had a good life and was good. Then suddenly finds out their friends were fakes just using them the whole time, stole everything, and is basically left on their own to just die. Back from the graves as a vengeful spirit who goes around breaking up friendships by exposing them as fakes.

Of course we could have a vengeful character who was wronged by Princess Celestia, like being punished for a crime by being framed.

Edited by Singe