Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Fluttershy have an alter-ego?

TheMisterManGuy

Fluttershy alter-ego  

11 users have voted

1. 1. Should Fluttershy have an alternate identity?

• Yes
    • No

Fluttershy already does have an alter ego of sorts; one created through repressed feelings. It's a bit long-winded, but this is a thread I started about it:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/108821-through-the-looking-glass-futtershy-in-putting-your-hoof-down/

Yeah, its been implied before, but I mean an episode that formally reveals it. 

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

Yeah, its been implied before, but I mean an episode that formally reveals it. 

That could be problematic. If they focus on it too much, it could come off as a mental illness episode,and parents would most likely flip...again.

That could be problematic. If they focus on it too much, it could come off as a mental illness episode,and parents would most likely flip...again.

True, but they could make it sort of like a vigilante anti-hero in where Fluttershy becomes a different pony when wearing say, a hooded sweater, but has vague memories of her actions in this state.

NO. You know, I'm really tired of all the FlutterHulk, FlutterBat, FlutterSlut, FlutterBee and Celestia knows Flutter-what else! That's exactly why Fluttershy is at the bottom of my Fav Main 6 List. Because I know almost nothing about her and all the interesting Fluttershy scenes and episodes don't really focus on HER, but on her ''alter egos''. On something she isn't. She, as a person, barely gets any character development and even when she does, writers often forget about it two episodes later. And they should do something about it and stop making her other personalities, because it started to be really annoying and it shows that they don't really know what to do with her character. I want to know more about Fluttershy as a person. What she likes to do, when she's alone. What other passions she has. About what she talks when she spends time with Applejack or Pinkie, because she rarely interacts with them. Etc.   

NO. You know, I'm really tired of all the FlutterHulk, FlutterBat, FlutterSlut, FlutterBee and Celestia knows Flutter-what else! That's exactly why Fluttershy is at the bottom of my Fav Main 6 List. Because I know almost nothing about her and all the interesting Fluttershy scenes and episodes don't really focus on HER, but on her ''alter egos''. On something she isn't. She, as a person, barely gets any character development and even when she does, writers often forget about it two episodes later. And they should do something about it and stop making her other personalities, because it started to be really annoying and it shows that they don't really know what to do with her character. I want to know more about Fluttershy as a person. What she likes to do, when she's alone. What other passions she has. About what she talks when she spends time with Applejack or Pinkie, because she rarely interacts with them. Etc.   

She had character development watch

She had character development watch

Did I say that she never had any character development? No. I said that she rarely gets it and when she does, it's often forgotten very soon. Compared to the other characters, she didn't really change through the last 3 seasons and her friendship with Pinkie or AJ wasn't really explored, even though there were several occasions (the same thing can be said about Rarity x Rainbow Dash, but they at least had many interactions with other characters). If I had to describe Fluttershy now - I'd say the same thing I could have said when I started to watch the show. She's shy, quiet, kind, loves animals... and that's it. Maybe I'd mention about her friendship with Discord or her love to sing, but it's not much. Most of the episodes instead of exploring her character further - comes back to things we already know. And if I'd change something in the show and about how it portrays Fluttershy's character - I'd focus on trying to show fans more about who she really is, what she likes, how close she is with her friends, what others passions she has, etc. Not on creating an alter ego for her. I saw "let's make Fluttershy something she isn't" scheme too many times to care about another Flutterhulk or Flutterbat. I want to know more about Fluttershy. Real Fluttershy and her real life.

Edited by Anilewe

I think an alter ego for Fluttershy would be a terrible idea. She is who she is, she doesn't need to be somepony else. I'd agree with Anilewe, that she needs some more focus and development. I love Fluttershy, but there's more to her I'd like to see. You could actually explore reasons why she's shy and quiet, perhaps her family are actually all very loud and noisy, so she felt drowned out and that her voice/opinion wasn't important. Maybe her family argue quite a lot and this caused her to become a bit more reclusive and part of the reason she ended up loving animals is because they were an escape from her life at home. Her friendship with Discord needs to get more focus, and it's interesting if you think about it that Fluttershy is the only pony Discord has ever been "afraid" of. I'm not just talking about afraid of losing her friendship, if you go back to "Return of Harmony", Fluttershy was the only one he couldn't trick, he had to forcibly alter her mind/personality. This suggests that Fluttershy has a strength and will power that perhaps few others can match.

I think Fluttershy would be possibly the best out of the mane 6 to have a boyfriend too. She just has such a loving personality that I think it'd be nice to see her have someone be as caring back to her, and it could also be quite funny because any couple she'd be in would be a lovey-dovey type that could potentially make the others feel sick at the sight of how sweet they are. This all lays the ground for FluttershyxDiscord of course.

But yeah, I want more of Fluttershy in general, seeing all the other interests she has and doing lots of stuff.

I think an alter ego for Fluttershy would be a terrible idea. She is who she is, she doesn't need to be somepony else. I'd agree with Anilewe, that she needs some more focus and development. I love Fluttershy, but there's more to her I'd like to see. You could actually explore reasons why she's shy and quiet, perhaps her family are actually all very loud and noisy, so she felt drowned out and that her voice/opinion wasn't important. Maybe her family argue quite a lot and this caused her to become a bit more reclusive and part of the reason she ended up loving animals is because they were an escape from her life at home. Her friendship with Discord needs to get more focus, and it's interesting if you think about it that Fluttershy is the only pony Discord has ever been "afraid" of. I'm not just talking about afraid of losing her friendship, if you go back to "Return of Harmony", Fluttershy was the only one he couldn't trick, he had to forcibly alter her mind/personality. This suggests that Fluttershy has a strength and will power that perhaps few others can match.

I think Fluttershy would be possibly the best out of the mane 6 to have a boyfriend too. She just has such a loving personality that I think it'd be nice to see her have someone be as caring back to her, and it could also be quite funny because any couple she'd be in would be a lovey-dovey type that could potentially make the others feel sick at the sight of how sweet they are. This all lays the ground for FluttershyxDiscord of course.

But yeah, I want more of Fluttershy in general, seeing all the other interests she has and doing lots of stuff.

The reason I ask this is because the show has hinted that there's a darker side to Fluttershy on numerous occasions. I think an alter-ego could serve as a way to explore her backstory. She has all these repressed feelings and opinions that we only see teases and glimpses of, I would like to learn more about why.

The reason I ask this is because the show has hinted that there's a darker side to Fluttershy on numerous occasions. I think an alter-ego could serve as a way to explore her backstory. She has all these repressed feelings and opinions that we only see teases and glimpses of, I would like to learn more about why.

But you can explore all that without her having an alter ego. It seems totally unnecessary. Just because she gets angry doesn't mean there's anything more sinister or an alter ego lurking beneath, getting angry is a natural reaction, it simply takes more to get Fluttershy angry so when she does it stands out more because it's not something you're used to seeing. An alter ego would just add unnecessary complications and questions, like: are any of her reactions then truly hers? Which is the real Fluttershy personality? Is the Fluttershy we've seen up until this point actually the alter ego of the real Fluttershy? I don't think any of that is something worth considering.

Fluttershy is who she is, she doesn't need another personality. Be true to yourself, Fluttershy  :yay:  We love you for who you are, Fluttershy  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

But you can explore all that without her having an alter ego. It seems totally unnecessary. Just because she gets angry doesn't mean there's anything more sinister or an alter ego lurking beneath, getting angry is a natural reaction, it simply takes more to get Fluttershy angry so when she does it stands out more because it's not something you're used to seeing. An alter ego would just add unnecessary complications and questions, like: are any of her reactions then truly hers? Which is the real Fluttershy personality? Is the Fluttershy we've seen up until this point actually the alter ego of the real Fluttershy? I don't think any of that is something worth considering.

Fluttershy is who she is, she doesn't need another personality. Be true to yourself, Fluttershy  :yay:  We love you for who you are, Fluttershy  :blush:

It doesn't have to be a traditional split-personality though. It could be that she would wear a disguise and meerly act different from her normal self by expressing all her repressed emotions and feelings. Also, its not just Fluttershy getting angry, she seems to have a lot of negative opinions and feelings she represses like when she almost attacks the crystal ponies, or when she sarcastically rolls her eyes  at Rainbow and Twilight's arguing. in Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3, and that hyper-nitpicky rant she gave Rarity in Suited for Success. It more than just anger, its these subtle cues and small scenes.