Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Drawing Opinions

FIuttershy

ハッロ!

With all the pony art popping up everywhere, I was feeling inspired to pick up art again but I'm terrible. So to practice and better my esteem with the pen I was thinking of going digital and using a tablet-thing and some art program.

I've looked around and found some I like, but I want to know what the experienced users prefer and what program they use and would like to use, to help me get started.

ハッロ! With all the pony art popping up everywhere, I was feeling inspired to pick up art again but I'm terrible. So to practice and better my esteem with the pen I was thinking of going digital and using a tablet-thing and some art program. I've looked around and found some I like, but I want to know what the experienced users prefer and what program they use and would like to use, to help me get started.

You can't go wrong with photoshop.

You can't go wrong with photoshop.

I do have photoshop pro 3, but it runs laggy on Win7. I use it mostly for editing images to suit my PC's and other devises screen sizes or to make avi's. Does photoshop support graphic tablets do you know?

I do have photoshop pro 3, but it runs laggy on Win7. I use it mostly for editing images to suit my PC's and other devises screen sizes or to make avi's. Does photoshop support graphic tablets do you know?

I actually draw by hand. I don't like tablets :P

I'm no professional artist by any means but I've got a Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet and I love it. It's not too expensive so it's great for a beginner. As far as software, I use Photoshop CS5 and PaintTool SAI. Another free alternative is Gimp.

Does photoshop support graphic tablets do you know?

Yes. At least CS5 does. It supports pressure, erasing, and the pen buttons which I use for dragging and right clicking. I think PaintTool SAI and Gimp also support these functions. Edited by Apple Bloom

Just checked, it seems they no longer make the Pen and Touch. The equivalent models now are the Bamboo Capture and Create. The Capture seems to be the closest to the price of the pen and touch but lacks the eraser. The Create has an eraser and larger surface but is more expensive.

I personally use Adobe Illustrator to draw my work, but I do use Photoshop here and there. and by laggy what do you mean? Is it laggy when you draw with your tablet, or is the whole program lagging and being unresponsive?

I personally use Adobe Illustrator to draw my work, but I do use Photoshop here and there. and by laggy what do you mean? Is it laggy when you draw with your tablet, or is the whole program lagging and being unresponsive?

It's the program itself, and it typically runs fine, but it seems to crash whenever I attempt editing at times, and sometimes strokes seem to lag (like there's not enough memory or something, and I have 8g ram).

Just checked, it seems they no longer make the Pen and Touch. The equivalent models now are the Bamboo Capture and Create. The Capture seems to be the closest to the price of the pen and touch but lacks the eraser. The Create has an eraser and larger surface but is more expensive.

And the Bamboo Create was the tablet I was looking into buying, so I was hoping to get some feedback if it came up.

I always get bogged down after drawing anything because I'm never satisfied.

Hah, I can definitely relate to that feeling. That's the one major problem when you aim for perfection, you soon discover it's a moving target.

Anyways onto your question. Since I've allways preferred to use traditional media methods, I seldom practice with vector graphics editors such as illustrator, but I do know a thing or two about them. First off, even though you do have photoshop, if your thinking of using a tablet, then you should consider grabbing a copy of CS5, as it's substantially improved it's integration with touch based systems, allowing for increased accuracy and accessibility. If it's out of your price range, (or you consider TPB / Demonoid to be an ill-considered option) Then gimp is a good substitute.

As far as tablets go, for a first time user Bamboo and Intuos tablets are both affordable and good quality. Just shop around unitll you find one that suits your needs.

Happy Drawing!

• Brohoof 2

Since I've allways preferred to use traditional media methods, I seldom practice with vector graphics editors such as illustrator, but I do know a thing or two about them. First off, even though you do have photoshop, if your thinking of using a tablet, then you should consider grabbing a copy of CS5, as it's substantially improved it's integration with touch based systems, allowing for increased accuracy and accessibility. If it's out of your price range, (or you consider TPB / Demonoid to be an ill-considered option) Then gimp is a good substitute.

As far as tablets go, for a first time user Bamboo and Intuos tablets are both affordable and good quality. Just shop around unitll you find one that suits your needs.

Happy Drawing!

Thank you for your reply, I do feel better about starting up after reading this :)

I'm worried about CS5 still so I wonder when I will start to need it if there'll be a trial period option available that would let me use the tablets functions. Is PSPro3 CS3? It's my first photo editing program and it didn't give me good mind about it. Someone else showed me SAI and it works perfect except I can't load images after saving them for some reason.

My opinion? Nothing beats traditional.

If you use a tablet, you draw on the tablet but the lines appear on your screen. To me, that's confusing.

Though, here's what I usually do: I make a sketch, and if I like it, I press the pencil to make proper lineart. I scan that picture, then simply trace my lineart on GIMP.

I've tried making digital drawings directly, though I'm not sure that went so well. (If you read my DA descriptions, you'll find out which drawings were done directly and which were traced.)

--------------

Can't load images after saving them?

Which format do you save them in? Some programs (such as GIMP I mentioned earlier, or OpenCanvas) have their own file format, even though you can decide to change that and save your picture in PNG/BMP/JPG/... format.

Can't load images after saving them?

Which format do you save them in? Some programs (such as GIMP I mentioned earlier, or OpenCanvas) have their own file format, even though you can decide to change that and save your picture in PNG/BMP/JPG/... format.

I save them after editing into the usual formats, Jpeg, PNG, GIF, etc. But after I save them I simply can't get them to load. It's not a big deal since I have Photoshop which lets me do that, I just found it weird SAI wouldn't. Edited by MyKotoShi