Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On the subject of hypothetical romantic relationships with other sentient life

Buck Testa

I have read the rules and as long as this topic remains safe for work and does not dissolve into petty arguements this topic is valid. If I misread the rules and violated something I apologize in advance... though I am pretty sure Im good

I have been wondering how to broach this topic in an objective manner for quite some time. What is wrong with the hypothetical idea of having a romantic relationship with a sentient being of another species? The arguements against it have usually revolved around the concept of it "not being natural" but frankly that stance is from a very outdated (a la religious) way of viewing the world.

I mean in these hypothetical scenarios are the standard social norms not adhered too (as in consenting, sentient, matured, and mutual connectiveness and attraction)? If aliens landed tomorrow would the exploration and interaction of eachothers species be declared an abomonation on the spot?

Lets say that the two cannot have offspring... who cares? It would be assumed that the biological imperative to perpetuate the species is already being carried out by the majority. Fewer and fewer people have a problem with other "unproductive alternative lifestyles" like homosexuality so how does this not fall into a similar catagory?

Its wrong cause they are not human? I would buy that arguement if it was like some poor animal who operates on instincts and such but what about a genuine sentient being with the cognative ability of or perhaps greater ability than ours? Hell on that note what if we are deemed not sentient enough to form that kind of bond with?

I write this cause since the eighties this idea of anthro relationships has been growing and developing quite the controversial divide. A large reason for this has naturally come from entertainment featuring such concepts in one way or another. Hell a good portion of my shows as a kid featured sentient creatures in attractive and relatable ways (Animaniacs, duck tails, goof troop, tail spin, chip and dale, Disneys Robin hood, The anthro tom sawyer movie, Lion King, Avatar, Beauty and the Beast which literally featured a human x anthro relationship, Jak and Daxter which features a woman in a relationship with an orange ferret looking creature, loony toons, who framed Roger rabbit which features an Anthro rabbit and a Toon human woman, I could go on and on about how all these examples and more show developed individuals which if they existed in real life would be considered just as mentally sentient as a human)

And now for the moment I have been building up to. One of the more recent installments in this group of shows featuring beings with cognative abilities similar to humans has been our own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Of course our fandom has a group within it that finds these ponies attractive and worthy relationship material. However since these ponies are not in fact human these fans get odd looks. This is nothing new of course, such opinions have been around since this way of thinking popped up in recent history.

Now I am emphasising cognative function for a reason. I subscribe to the belief that a real strong relationship is built on empathy, understanding, bonding, respect and similar levels of maturity and development. If all these criteria are met then I have little problem with the relationship or the idea of one even if its not necessarily my cup of tea. I do have issue with people forcing their own preferences on another as if it puts you on a moral high ground.

So to set up the questions for debate

What is your stance on the idea of a human in a relationship with another species of similar cognative ability?

How does this stance relate to your take on the side of the brony fandom that is into that concept?

Where do you get this opinion from?

Do you like this kind of concept?

How would the world be different if there were other sentient life on this planet besides humans?

Please refrain from going off topic or posting things that could get this locked. I want a clean debate on this without bringing in those objectionable specifics that are banned on this forum. I hope people can have a discussion about this without it going down the proverbial gutter. Also arguing is not debating, treat people with differing opinions with respect.

• Brohoof 3

Since you say similar cognative ability, I am supportive of it. Then again, I'm someone who has a crush on two fictional ponies, so I may be a bit bias.

I was thinking this, too. If both partners can understand each other and love each other, who cares about how natural it is? Humans cross-breed animals, but if a human wants to be with a non-human who has similar cognative abilities, that is bad?

I guess my crush on Rarity and Applejack could relate to my stance. It didn't really start with ponies, though.

I got this opinion from Sci-fi. I saw a lot of aliens and humans in relationships, and I was thinking, 'If aliens are found to be real and intelligent, would they have rights, and would they be allowed to be with humans?' I personally think they should. 

I do like this kind of concept. Romance does not need procreation, so dating a different species as long as they have understandings should be allowed. I mean dating a dog or any animal like that should not be allowed, but if there is an animal that can speak has a language as well as cognitive abilities, then romantic relationships with them should be allowed. 

I think there will be a lot of campaigns to give the non-human species equal rights and things like that. It may be similar to how blacks, gays, or a lot of minorities were treated. Can't vote, can't marry, can't hold office, things like that. Then there would be progress, and in years time, they will have equal or almost equal rights. 

• Brohoof 4

It seems as if people take much more issue with human relationships with sapient life forms which have animal like features as opposed to aliens because they claim it is "bestiality" but where did the prohibitions against bestiality come from? Cleanliness was likely one reason but a more modern reason given is concerns over animals ability to consent due to them not being sapient which is a legitimate concern however one in which would not apply to sapient life with human level intelligence. This of course makes the bestiality claim inaccurate so with that in mind why does the taboo still persist?

I think it has to do with the fact that because humans are the only known sapient species on earth there is simply no precedent for inter species relationships with non human sapient beings. In large part because of this lack of a precedent it is seen as different, unusual and perhaps even suspect by a lot of people. It is a simple case of people don't understand something and thus they condemn it. This has long been the case with homosexuality and still is though there has been some improvement on this in recent years. This would present some rather interesting debate should human beings ever discover another sapient species especially one with some animal like features.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 4

I like the Mass Effect method:

Canoodle with any species you want, just don't expect to be able to produce offspring with them.

If you can bond with them on an emotional level like you could with another human being' I don't see why you couldn't have a relationship with another species. We're past the point where we need to produce offspring, as we already make too many babies.

• Brohoof 2

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread thus far.  I've always been in favor of inter-sentient-species relationships, if the opportunity were to arise.  I think hit the nail on the head.  People have never had a problem accepting an inter-species relationship such as Superman and Lois Lane.  Why?  Because he looks human in every way.  But he's not, technically.  Oh, and how about Aragorn and Arwen?  Same deal.  She looks human, save for slightly pointed ears, which nobody gets bent out of shape over.  Why should it be any different with a sentient race that's very different from humans, like Na'vi, or Argonians, or Khajit, or even something not humanoid?  If they have similar cognitive ability, then it doesn't matter.  Love is a positive thing.  Doesn't matter if it's between two humans of the same sex, or two different species.  As long as there is mutual consent, then all we should be focusing on is the positive emotion, not the sexes, ethnicities, or species of the parties involved.

I, for one, have always wanted a partner very different from me.  I do want someone of similar height and build, but I've always wanted a partner with a completely different color/ethnicity from mine.  The same is just boring.  Now, don't get me wrong--if the person I fall in love with just happens to be the same ethnicity as me, that's fine too, but I've always hoped the right person for me will be very different.  Now, my ultimate fantasy would be a different species altogether.  I would still prefer humanoid, but something like a Khajit would be ideal.  Or a Viera from Final Fantasy XII.  What can I say?  I love my species too, but I just have a thing for diversity.  You know what I think it is?  I have a penchant for the parts that I don't have.  I like the tails and the cat and rabbit ears and the like.  I feel like that's part of the reason for sexual attraction in the first place.  We're attracted to the parts we don't have.  This feels like an extension of that.  I like the parts that are very different from mine.  Up to a point, of course.  There's a point where it becomes too different for me to find attractive, but whatever floats your boat, you know?

I've always imagined that if we made first contact with sentient aliens, I would probably be one of the first to have a romantic relationship with one of them, receive all kinds of hate and death threats for it, and work to try to change peoples' minds and earn acceptance.  Love is just a beautiful thing, no matter who it's with.

Well, I should go.  I feel like I've said too much.  :blush:

• Brohoof 2

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread thus far. I've always been in favor of inter-sentient-species relationships, if the opportunity were to arise. I think hit the nail on the head. People have never had a problem accepting an inter-species relationship such as Superman and Lois Lane. Why? Because he looks human in every way. But he's not, technically. Oh, and how about Aragorn and Arwen? Same deal. She looks human, save for slightly pointed ears, which nobody gets bent out of shape over. Why should it be any different with a sentient race that's very different from humans, like Na'vi, or Argonians, or Khajit, or even something not humanoid? If they have similar cognitive ability, then it doesn't matter. Love is a positive thing. Doesn't matter if it's between two humans of the same sex, or two different species. As long as there is mutual consent, then all we should be focusing on is the positive emotion, not the sexes, ethnicities, or species of the parties involved.

I, for one, have always wanted a partner very different from me. I do want someone of similar height and build, but I've always wanted a partner with a completely different color/ethnicity from mine. The same is just boring. Now, don't get me wrong--if the person I fall in love with just happens to be the same ethnicity as me, that's fine too, but I've always hoped the right person for me will be very different. Now, my ultimate fantasy would be a different species altogether. I would still prefer humanoid, but something like a Khajit would be ideal. Or a Viera from Final Fantasy XII. What can I say? I love my species too, but I just have a thing for diversity. You know what I think it is? I have a penchant for the parts that I don't have. I like the tails and the cat and rabbit ears and the like. I feel like that's part of the reason for sexual attraction in the first place. We're attracted to the parts we don't have. This feels like an extension of that. I like the parts that are very different from mine. Up to a point, of course. There's a point where it becomes too different for me to find attractive, but whatever floats your boat, you know?

I've always imagined that if we made first contact with sentient aliens, I would probably be one of the first to have a romantic relationship with one of them, receive all kinds of hate and death threats for it, and work to try to change peoples' minds and earn acceptance. Love is just a beautiful thing, no matter who it's with.

Well, I should go. I feel like I've said too much. :blush:

Nonsense I think you said exactly what needed to be said. There is a double standard where "as long as it looks like a human its socially acceptable, but throw blue skin and a tail on their and everyone loses their minds!"

Excellent point.

• Brohoof 1

It seems the word relationship has been crossed so much with the idea of sex that we can't seem to separate it. Why can't a relationship be formed without reproduction being the primary end-goal? Is it that difficult to love a person for how they make you feel, and how you make them feel? Why does it have to be what they can give you?
A question to the naysayers-What if Pinkie was real, and someone fell for her right now? Taking away the sexual aspect, tell me; how would it be any different from falling for a human girl?

• Brohoof 2

It seems the word relationship has been crossed so much with the idea of sex that we can't seem to separate it. Why can't a relationship be formed without reproduction being the primary end-goal? Is it that difficult to love a person for how they make you feel, and how you make them feel? Why does it have to be what they can give you?

A question to the naysayers-What if Pinkie was real, and someone fell for her right now? Taking away the sexual aspect, tell me; how would it be any different from falling for a human girl?

Another good point. The person would be falling for the individual and the personality, the body or reproduction would not even be a factor in such a scenario. It would be a purely Mental and Emotional relationship.

• Brohoof 1

As for my personal opinion on it, so long as both parties are sapient and able to consent then a relationship would be perfectly fine, as it is an emotional and physical agreement between two consenting sapient creatures that understand what they are agreeing to. So long as both parties have the cognative ability to consent, then I see no issue with the relationship.

As for the FiM ponies, it would actually be considered natural to be attracted to them physically, as they carry the base biological features that human males subconsiously look for in an opposite sex mate, so it could be considered at least some what normal on a biological level to be attracted to aliens that would carry these features.

Better explaination here

post-23625-0-44166600-1410341386_thumb.png

And alot of the discrimination against people who enjoy the fantasy of a inter-speices relationship comes from both societal defense mechanisms (as until recently, the un hygenic process of beastality could easily kill you due to the mass lack of hygine, and the argument for consent came at a later date). And buit in biological defense mechanisms that allow humanity to propigate until it reaches the technological threshold we have reached today that allows us to explore more fantastical options (as reproduction is no longer 100% nessicary at the individual level due to technological advancements, and increased population). It will just take time for the rest of society to adatp to this very new idea as until recently it was nearly impossible to entertain in any reasonable fashion.

• Brohoof 2

Technically. We all just animals, right? 

I can't judge. Pony obsession seems kinda minor compared to a lot of the Loony things people do or have done.  I have a belief that there's a fetish for Absolutely everything. Anything! no matter what it is. no exceptions... somewhere out there

Regardless how intelligent they are or how advanced their culture is, at the end it's still....Heresy.

@Commissar Alexer, i'd be much obliged if you'd answer this question:

What if Pinkie Pie was real, and someone fell for her right now? Taking away the sexual aspect, tell me; how would it be any different from falling for a human girl?

@Commissar Alexer, i'd be much obliged if you'd answer this question:

"To love a Xeno (non-human) is to walk on the path to damnation."

-Lord Inquisitor Ardo Hart.

Now on a serious note:

1. I'm just joking with the heresy thing. ;)

2. Honestly, i would probably prefer a pony/alien woman over an human one. Mostly because of the 'excotic' factor.

As for your question:

Well, she may be intelligent and funny but she's still a pony. Appearance does indeed matter.

Some people will be repulsed by it and some peolpe (like me) will be....attracted to it.

It's also one of the reasons why so many aliens have humanoid or human looking appearances in fiction, especially if it involves a romance with a human.

To clarified it:

People are far more comfortable with you fucking her here....

New_Asari_Races_Page_Image.png

...than our beloved pony princess.

large.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

I believe we do have a general consensus here. My opinion is the same as all others mentioned more or less, so not much need to repeat what's been said. 

You can't really argue against it. There's not really any logical president for preventing humans from having relationships or even procreating w/ another sentient species. It all revolves around freedom of personal choice. No one likes to have their choices impeded or limited. People like to do what they want. People don't like being told what to do and especially what they can't do. That choice expands to romantic relationships especially.

An important question can be posed to any kind of relationship or even just  attraction and interest with someone or something that's viewed as different,  whether it be religion, nationality, ethnicity, gender or in this case, species: How is it hurting you or anyone else?

To answer your question on how life would be different if earth had more than one sentient species: Well if this was early on we'd either have hunted them to extinction in our competition for land, sustenance & resources or we would've intermingled into one race by now. If said species was discovered or encountered after humankind were established, reactions would be mixed, ranging from fear and crusades to show human dominance and security to peaceful coexistence to better both races. It's a hard thing to say. 

• Brohoof 1

Well if this was early on we'd either have hunted them to extinction in our competition for land, sustenance & resources or we would've intermingled into one race by now.

That's basically what happened to the Neanderthals.

• Brohoof 1

I gotta say, as long as you keep your bias to yourself and it's a good relationship not just based on looks or sex or money.....It's Fine.  :squee:

Seriously, I think I'm getting a crush on Pinkie Pie (I'm Bi) and I just LUV Hentai.....so, yeah. I like looking up that kinda stuff, in fact on a daily basis. 

But, to each his own. If you like ponies, go ahead and clop away!