Thoughts?  

27 users have voted

1. 1. Can you control your thoughts?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Can your thoughts control you?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Do you ever feel that you can't get something out of your head?

• Yes.
    • No.

What are thoughts? Can you control your thoughts? Where they come? Are thoughts in some certain language? Are thoughts pictures, voices, words or are they all them combined or are they something else? Can you clear your mind out of thoughts? What are you actually doing when you are thinking? Can you lie to yourself?

Do you ever feel you can't get something out of your head? 

If so why is that?

What is imagination? Does it differ from thoughts?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think thoughts can be very complicated when you start thinking about them also I don't know why but I've started recently thinking in english. Maybe it is because I don't speak much IRL and in internet I use english.

When I keep my eyes open It's harder to think as pictures because you are already seeing something. So then I'm basically saying things to myself silently in my mind. I think that is quite easy to control. But When I close my eyes that view comes harder to control, there are so many elements that you have to control and remember how they look like. 

Sometimes some sound or picture is stuck in my mind it just doesn't go away I don't know why is that. I don't like it because some horror movies are still bugging in my mind and creeping me out.

I think there are lots of power in our minds that we are yet to discover.

• Brohoof 4

I have a lot of random thoughts going around my mind. There's very little pattern to them, sometimes I surprise myself by thinking things like 'my gods this day would be a lot better if I can pet some wild cats and do some choreographed dance with them' in the middle of something serious. Most of the time I can control the line of thoughts by consciously thinking something else.

I can't really say how my thoughts take form, but one thing I can nail down is that things appear as their 3d interpretation and voices speak using english language instead of my native language.

There's a lot of things in my head I can't get rid off... though speaking about them is highly illegal in US :derp:

• Brohoof 1

Thoughts are just fleeting things, it can be constructed by myself or even appear there out of nowhere.

It's clear that thoughts play an important role in decision making as minor as it may be, so, I guess I had to answer yes to all the questions. I can control my thoughts reasonably well, though not whilst I'm dreaming, that's different!

At that point I'm no longer conscious!

• Brohoof 2

I have a bit of a thing with thoughts. I think with images rather than coherent voices or words; even when i solve a math problem i can think about how the solution is supposed to look, and i tend to have a great visual memory. If i had to describe thought, i'd have to say it's like a series of images to me playing rapidly (but lucidly) until i latch on to a certain image and it distorts, or i break the chain of thoughts entirely and think about something else. Even thoughts about voices or words, even scents appear as images and have a visual representation to me. Even when i see everything in front of me, it's like a thin mental film across my mind, transparent, through which i form thoughts.

I control my thoughts, to a degree. I prefer to keep my thoughts running, but i can just as easily hold on to something and clear my mind or control a thought as i see fit. However, sometimes when i get into 'think mode', i brood, and i think about A LOT of things. I can easily snap myself out of it, but sometimes it's just fun to stay back and let my black box work things out.

I think imagination is similar to thoughts in the sense that your mind constructs something inside, but it doesn't necessarily pull accurate information to create your thought, it can just as easily mix things up.

Edited by Michael
  • Brohoof 1

I've struggled with fairly severe obsessive compulsive disorder for roughly 16 years now, and invasive thoughts are essentially the name of the game.  I've recently made progress on at least one front: learning to let certain undesirable thoughts come and go.  Rather than having to chase after and correct them; which ordinarily leads to getting trapped in a nigh inescapable loop.  Which, I promise you, is mentally exhausting. 

And I've always had something of an active imagination.  When I leave it in the "ON" position, all manner of things can happen lol.  So I regard my imagination as a form of semi-focused thought that does a bit more roaming and playing.  Oh look!  There's Rainbow Dash giving me a look with her arms crossed; wings rhythmically beating to keep her in the air.  She hovers forward, leans in, and gestures with a hoof while saying, "Really?  You're using me as an example?  Can't you at least imagine me, Idunno..."  She looks up towards the ceiling thoughtfully and moves a raised foreleg in a circular pattern, "Doing some crazy indoor Sonic Rainboom?"  Flick of her tail, sly look, and a smirk playing on her lips.

Sometimes my thoughts control me, and sometimes I control them.  Sometimes I let them run wild, but I eventually have to put all my toys away and focus on what's in front of me.  I can get some degree of visual or auditory experience from thoughts, and I can even experience some level of taste and touch.  Smell is tricky though; working on smell. xD

• Brohoof 2

Seeing how all "we" are is a collection of thoughts and patterns that form a personality, being controled by your thoughts would still be controling yourself in a way.

and since I view anything that comes from my internal monologe as me, I am always technically in control of my thoughts, unless my thoughts are being controled via an external force such as mind control or chemical alteration.

• Brohoof 3

If you have OCD then it's more likely you will have various random intrusive thoughts appearing out of nowhere by themselves. Even if you don't have OCD - if you can ignore them that's fine, but if you force yourself to try to keep ignoring them or distracting yourself on purpose, or trying to suppress them by thinking different stuff right when they appear, then that would make life eventually hard & will produce more disorders & schizos. 

• Brohoof 1

I tend to have a lot of control over my thoughts, but I'm also a person who tends to overthink and overanalyze EVERYTHING.  I think too much, and often have trouble sleeping as a result.  Sometimes it's difficult to turn my brain off.  I think this sums me up perfectly:

• Brohoof 1

Thoughts .... Some times I know that the things dumped into my head are not of me. But are a result of what I decide to focus on. So I choose to be in control of what happens in my life. That means I now limit the negative thoughts, and look for what is true, good and pure. Not the garbage that is tossed around so much.

It is too the point I limit my watching of news to maybe 10 minutes a day.

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts on thoughts is that I think we thought them. I think. :derp:

But yeah, of course I can control my thoughts, and thoughts are people's main driving force no? Of course they can control me. But that's just controlling yourself really...

And there's always things people can't get out of their head, from things that fade away eventually like songs stuck in there to shit you better never ever forget like how to breathe! :P

• Brohoof 1

I think thoughts are triggered by emotions. Something happens, you "feel", then your mind reflects what's going on~

My minds are words, mostly. I have images when I close my eyes or get lost in thought~ 

I can try and control my thoughts, if the voice in my head tells me that it would be better to think this way, or something will go in a direction if I go against how I feel. I can do that~

Though my body languages/reactions are more telling of my sacrifices~ 

• Brohoof 1