Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Does anypony play Infinity Wars? And my review.

Ardhacandra

The title says it all. Does anypony play it? I just got into it a couple of days ago and I love it! What is your favourite faction and why? I main Verore ATM and I also use Exile cards quite a lot. I love the trickery those factions have and I believe they work well together. After I get a decent Collection for these two factions I will start collecting Sleeper and/or Genesis cards I think.

For those of you who are curious I will tell a bit more about it. Let's say it's a little review, lol.

What is Infinity Wars?

Infinity Wars is a free online TGC (Trading Card Game). Unlike many popular card games on the internet, you can actually trade cards in this one. This makes it so much more fun and it give you a way to get specific cards relatively easy.

What makes this game so special?

Short answer? A lot of things. In depth answer? You can't play this game in physical form. The turns are concluded simultanious, so there is quite a bit of prediction involved. If you use a spell that can only target, say, a demon, than that player can prevent that action by turning that demon into something else, causing the spell to "Miss". Stuff like this makes it very important that you try to outpredict your opponent as much as possible, so intentionally making obscure or even stupid plays can work to your advantage if you do it right.

The game as a whole has a lot of depth. A common thing to do in this day and age is comparing TGC's with Hearthstone, however, I feel that comparing Infinity Wars with Hearthstone would be unfair. TBH, I'm not a fan of hearthstone. It is way too simplistic IMHO (I'm not saying that you can't make awesome plays in that game, but the game is nonetheless simplistic). A better TGC to compare infinity wars with would be the legendary game Magic the Gathering.

Magic the Gathering has a lot of cards that have very complicated or obscure effects. For example, some Magic cards have effects that seem purely negative at first glance, however, combining such a card with a variety of different cards can turn this effect into something very powerfull. Infinity wars does the same thing with their cards. The cards can seem very counterintuitive to use, but combined with certain cards they can be used to completely baffle your opponent. Or, a card with a positive effect can be used to completely stop your opponent.

Let me give you an example. One of the cards I love can turn one of your monsters into a Demon with 5/5 (5 attack, 5 defense. This is the average power rating of a low cost creature). This demon also gets Consume, lvl 2 (Whenever this creature kills a creature, Increase power and health by X and heal X, where X is the lvl of Consume). You can use this card in many ways. The most straight forward way is to bait your opponent to attack your weakened monster. Then, you cast this spell (Maybe in combination with a buff) so that his monster gets killed, and your weak demon will start to snowball. A very powerfull effect. However, you can also use this card on his 35/35 monster (STRONG!) to turn him into a petty 5/5 demon.

These are just a few simple examples that I can come up with from the top of my head. With 8 factions (not including factionless) there are countless of strategies you can execute with the different cards. The strategies can often be executed with great reliability, because they have added the commander system. What this means is that you pick 3 cards that are in-game from the moment the match starts. This means that you can put cards that are key to your strategy in this section, so that you only need one or two more cards to execute your strategy.

Infinity Wars is one big mindgame. It is very well possible to beat an opponent with a superior deck if you use your resources properly. The campaign let's you do that often enough.

The cards

I already talked about the effects of the cards, so how do they look? They are extremely gorgeous. To start off, all of the cards have animated pictures. This gives each and every one of them a lot of personality.

SecludedConstructorhigh-res.gif

CanditHeadResearcher_Gif.gif

Aleta_sufferer.gif

Some cards are plain awesome. Others are funny. And some are just plain sick!

Free TGC? I know what that means... Sorry, but it's too expansive.

Well, you don't have to worry about that. Yes, you can buy cards. No, the game doesn't become unplayable if you choose not to buy cards with real money. They have a couple of methods to keep people interested in the game, even if they don't want to spend money. To start off, you will earn a lot of cards by simply playing the game. Quests can reward cards (Both single cards and 15 card booster packs), leveling rewards cards and you can earn points by playing the game. The rate at which you earn points is decent, but that isn't what makes this such a fair business model. To clarify that, I will have to talk a bit about the different game modes.

You only have starter cards and you are afraid that you get stomped by some player who bought all the decks and 1000+ booster packs? That won't happen (normally). There are 4 normal play modes in this game, one of them being a very good way to find out what cards are in the game. There is also a fifth game mode, but I will talk about that later. I'm only talking about PVP btw. Also, I won't count ranked.

First game mode: Infinity

Everything goes! Rare, epic, legendary, Star Trek cards (Yes, they exist). This is where you want to go if you have a solid collection of cards.

Second game mode: Core

As far as I understand it, it is the same as infinity - the crossover cards (Star trek and such). Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played it.

Third game mode: Merged

This one is very special. You choose a deck you made and you are pitted against an opponent (duh). You then merge both decks together, so you will get to use their cards as well. This is a great and fun way to play with many different cards and to experiment with different tactics.

Fourth game mode: Pauper

Don't wanna spent lot's of money on booster packs? This is your mode. You can only use common and uncommon cards here, so by simply completing all of the offline chalanges, you will most likely have enough cards to play this game mode and have a good chance.

Then there is the final game mode: Rift Run

Rift run allows you to build a deck out of a couple of random cards. For each card, you pick one out of four and then you pick the next one out of the next four. This is a lot of fun and you can get a good feel for the game. This game mode is bit different, because you will have to bet points or money on it. It can be worth it, though, because the rewards can become quite big if you succeed.

As you can see, there is plenty to do without spendin money. What did I do? I spent 10 euro's (A bit more thant 10 dollar) to buy myself 2 decks and a booster pack. I don't think I will ever have to spend more money on it at all (Besides buying a skin or somethin, but that doesn't affect gameplay).

So, what is wrong with this game?

Not much, TBH, but no game is perfect. The game is still pretty buggy because it is in Late Beta. It works good enough, but it is very annoying when your game breaks while you are in a heated battle. Also, the early stage the game is in means that there aren't as many cards in the game when you compare it to older TGC's like MTG or Yu-gi-oh! Finally, the learning curve is pretty steep. The easy AI can be quite challenging when you don't really know what you are doing and the players you face can be total beasts for beginners (like me). But besides these points I can't really think of that many problems the game has.

Summery

I don't think I have to explain that I'm very psyched about this game. It is one of the best TGC's I've played for sure. It is a cheap (or free) way to play a very deep TGC. Most cards aren't really that hard to get, and trading helps a lot with that. The community is very friendly for as far as I've noticed. It would be very awesome if this game would succeed, so that is why I'm advertising for them. It is most certainly a masterpiece, without a doubt.

Final thoughts

Note that I have only explained a little part of this game. I haven't even talked about stuff like "Zones" and "Unlimited Characters". The game litarally has many layers of depth that you can explore and master.

My info

If you want to add me, I'm just called Ardhacandra in the game. The game really needs all of the players it can gather, I believe. I hope I will see many bronies in the game. Enjoy!

PS: If you want to know more, feel free to PM me.