Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Moved to Elsewhere

I was in my high school art class, shooting the breeze with my friends when someone ran in and said that one of the Twin Towers had been hit. I didn't believe him at first, but I went to the art room across the hall, as the had the TV on, and wouldn't you know it? The first tower had been hit... Never before had I felt like I had been punched in the gut!

It's amazing that it's been thirteen years already!

I was in school. Seventh grade in particular (and a member just friended me that was born while I was in seventh grade... OMG... Trying to hold myself together here... lol). They didn't show us in any of our classes. However, I remember one kid coming in late and having heard about it. But either I didn't hear him right or he didn't know what he heard and what he said was something different. I knew immediately later on that's what he meant, though.

When I got home and heard about it I kind of lost my mind. I had nightmares of another war happening and it being like World War II with the concentration camps. >.<

Edited by Envy

I was in the 3rd grade, but I remember the teachers talking about it and putting on the news, but I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time

I was in elementary school in Toronto at the time, and I had just arrived at school to start the day at 8:30 am. Less than an hour later, the principal told the students that there would be no school for the day. As a kid, I was happy to have a day off of school, but I was confused as to why we suddenly had no school for the day. When our TV was turned to CNN, I remember seeing the plane crashing on the World Trade Centre, but I didn't understand what happened at the time. It wasn't until a few months or years later that I realized the magnitude of 9/11. 

Don't blame me for not knowing at the time! I was only 9! :(

I was about 4 or so, but I remember the reaction of my nursery teacher. She told us what had happened in America, and I remember asking "Why couldn't they use the fire extinguishers?". Sadly I wasn't old enough to understand what was actually happening. 

Edited by Raritas

I was a first grader, and I was actually at recess, but then the teachers came to take us all inside. I didn't know what was happening at the time, but everyone was asked to pick up their child and school was canceled that day.

I was in the eighth grade at the time. We were watching it on TV, and I remember being so scared, thinking how the terrorists were out to get me or something. I just couldn't handle it, and I sure as heck didn't understand what was going on.

I was eight and in third grade when this happened. All I remember is going home early and then being annoyed that my parents HAD to keep watching the news when I wanted to watch cartoons. It's horrible, I know. But, I was kind of an oblivious child and was in my own world all the time. In fact, I don't think I really even realised what happened until we studied it in a high school history class for the anniversary a few years ago.  

If I had been older, I probably wouldn't have thought much about it either because I'm horrible like that. I'm not saying it wasn't a big deal or that it wasn't sad and thought-provoking, just that things like this don't seem to affect me like they do other people and never have. I'm legitimately detached or something. No, seriously. I tell my friends never to come to me for advice when something sad happens because I'm horrible at being sympathetic sometimes. I usually just stay quiet until they're ready to be "normal" again.

Edited by LostButterflyUtau

Math class. I was a sophomore in high school. I remember this one dude came in late and said he was with a bunch of teachers in the main office, and they were all freaking out over a plane hitting the WTC. It wasn't until my next class, History, that we knew this was something life changing.

I was 16 at the time. I remember every thing from that day. I live 33 miles from the towers. I was in high school in my intro to occupation class. (a class I would have never remembered anything about if it were not for 9-11.) I did not have any classed that day that had a TV in them so every thing I heard was from teachers or other high school kids. I did not believe anything of what I heard from the high school kids (most of it was wring as it turns outs, I knew high school kids is a bad way to get news). I was told by a few people that the two towers had fell down and I just flat out did not believe it. I got home just before 3 pm and turned on the news and saw everything because they were playing everything in a lop over and over. what was really werd about the TV was that every channel was covering it. I mean every one! all 90+ Channels. the only one was the kids channel and the traffic one. comedy central, TNT, lifetime, discovery, ESPN, I mean every one had it on. I rembered that it had rained the day before and the sky was crystal clear and you could see for miles. I wend down to Jones beach with my brother and we could see the smoke come from the city. I took these photos at 7:46pm

post-27007-0-29849400-1410986619_thumb.jpg

post-27007-0-01805600-1410986620_thumb.jpg

post-27007-0-53824800-1410986620_thumb.jpg

post-27007-0-05662000-1410986621_thumb.jpg

post-27007-0-81535000-1410986621_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I was 3 at the time, although I have absolutely no recollection of 9/11 I think I was in daycare on the Air Force Academy at the time. Although I do know that I was not sent home early that day.  

Edited by Ac3xAssasin

I was in 4th grade when it happened. I was in a history class, and my teacher, Mr. Holy was going over something when an announcement came that all teachers must stop what they are doing and turn on the TV to channel 3. I remember not initially understanding what was happening as I watched. But Mr. Holy was aghast. Then after everything ended, there was an emergency auditorium meeting, where the a teacher did their best to explain what was going on (it was a 5-12th grade school). We were then let off of school for the rest of the day.

But the rest of the week, I remember teachers were leaving classrooms and talking among themselves (I noticed this whenever I went to the bathroom), and during that time, I came to understand exactly what had happened, and from then on paid attention to the news and remember all the stories about people going to the Middle East for war.

I will say it was strange to see Mr. Holy turn serious. I remember him having 3 Stooges everything in the classroom, and he was always making us laugh. And I especially remember that because he became so very serious for a long time after 9/11, and it wasn't until after Christmas break that he turned back to his old self....

• 5 weeks later...

I was asleep in my room.  My mom had woken me up so that I could watch the news.  At first, I thought it was a movie, and was confused that such a film would be on in the morning.  I spent the entire day watching the news, and spent the next day writing a poem that focused on the huge effort to clean up and save lives.

I was in second grade and I remember school ending abruptly and being taken home by my mom. She later said to me that there was a terrorist attack, but I didn't quite understand fully until later when I watched the footage of the plane crashing and saw people talking about it.

Also, the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania (a field in the town of Shanksville to be exact), is where my dad grew up and went to school. We almost always visit that place whenever we go there. Kinda off-topic, but I wanted to share that.

Edited by Gernia

• 3 weeks later...

I was in middle school in resource class. I remember kids I knew spreading wild rumors about things that were going on in a mix of morbid excitement and panic. I also remember the teacher bringing out a radio and stopping her lesson to listen into what was going on. I wasn't panicked or anything because it was all kind of surreal and I didn't really get what was going on until I saw the actual news coverage. That was a bad few years cause we were dealing with all that Halloween nightmares with razors and poison in the candy and the Sniper that drove around with that kid shooting people willy nilly.