Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Casual Stroll - An Introductionary RP mainly around Equestria OOC [Open Entry For All]

Blitz Boom

Another delay after this I am afraid. Made some Easter plans with a friend I haven't seen in awhile, so not back home before Sunday. Perhaps I can get something down then, but otherwise, it might be all the way until Tuesday before I can reply again. :( Sorry about that, but it's a rare occurrence that I get to see him, and I want to spend my time with him as well as possible.

..Mainly playing Mario Kart and trash talking, but that's besides the point. :D

Have a good Easter everypony!

• Brohoof 1

Good evening. 

I was curious if this was still open. I know the topic name still says open, but it was made a long time ago so I'd like to double check. 

I'm still pretty new to the herd and the Fandom in general, but the premise of an RP without a huge over arching story sounds relaxing. Granted, it has been going for so long it probably has one now. 

I've never done a forum RP before, just live chat rooms, but I'd love to learn. 

10 minutes ago, Rising Dusk said:

Good evening. 

I was curious if this was still open. I know the topic name still says open, but it was made a long time ago so I'd like to double check. 

I'm still pretty new to the herd and the Fandom in general, but the premise of an RP without a huge over arching story sounds relaxing. Granted, it has been going for so long it probably has one now. 

I've never done a forum RP before, just live chat rooms, but I'd love to learn. 

Yep, we're still going. The train to crazytown doesn't get off the rails that easily. :D

We have a lot of longer-going, fragmented storylines, but not really a unified one. I try to make them go into the same continuity though, but that doesn't mean that it have to be so if you'd prefer not, or that you will even be part of the scene in question. We are using several towns at this point, so not being in one area where there's a lot of action is highly possible, for example. (Canterlot, Las Pegasus, Ponyville, etc. Can't remember all town names currently)

I tend to start new folks off a little away from where a ton happens, then slowly help them get into the areas where something might, and having OC's or NPC's explain things about what have happened to fill the gaps. I find that easing into things is easier, and makes it simpler for the less experienced ones to get into the thick of things, rather than reading years of story. ^^

But we're getting a little ahead on things. I'll help you get a placement when we've gotten you sorted.

So, let's start off easy. Tell me about your character. Race, name, potential powers, bit of backstory, that sort of thing.

The power one is mainly to help not to judge, just in advance. It's more fun for everyone if you're not dealing with a Mary Sue, so I like to give some advice on things to keep it balanced and less god-like. :)

If you haven't made a character yet, I can help you if needed. Sometimes it's pretty tough to get the first oelne out.

Oh, almost forgot, i should advice you that forum RP is slower than live chat ones. I generally have a lot of things to do, so my responses in tge RP is every two days. Though I still answer OOC and PM's as best as I can. :)

4 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Yep, we're still going. The train to crazytown doesn't get off the rails that easily. :D

We have a lot of longer-going, fragmented storylines, but not really a unified one. I try to make them go into the same continuity though, but that doesn't mean that it have to be so if you'd prefer not, or that you will even be part of the scene in question. We are using several towns at this point, so not being in one area where there's a lot of action is highly possible, for example. (Canterlot, Las Pegasus, Ponyville, etc. Can't remember all town names currently)

I tend to start new folks off a little away from where a ton happens, then slowly help them get into the areas where something might, and having OC's or NPC's explain things about what have happened to fill the gaps. I find that easing into things is easier, and makes it simpler for the less experienced ones to get into the thick of things, rather than reading years of story. ^^

But we're getting a little ahead on things. I'll help you get a placement when we've gotten you sorted.

So, let's start off easy. Tell me about your character. Race, name, potential powers, bit of backstory, that sort of thing.

The power one is mainly to help not to judge, just in advance. It's more fun for everyone if you're not dealing with a Mary Sue, so I like to give some advice on things to keep it balanced and less god-like. :)

If you haven't made a character yet, I can help you if needed. Sometimes it's pretty tough to get the first oelne out.

Oh, almost forgot, i should advice you that forum RP is slower than live chat ones. I generally have a lot of things to do, so my responses in tge RP is every two days. Though I still answer OOC and PM's as best as I can. :)

That is a lot of really great information, thank you!  The offered guidance is also greatly appreciated. 

It was one of those surprising things when I got into the fandom, on how hard it is to find a simple place to kick up the hooves IC as a pony.  Hanging out in our favorite Equestria locations.  I thought there'd be a Discord channel or chat site full of such fun.  There might have been at one time, I did join rather late.

The slower pace of a forum RP does sound rather delightful though.

Tell you about my OC here or is there a more appropriate place?

Edited by Rising Dusk

@Rising Dusk

There is Bio pages that you can use if needed, but if you need more time to flesh out your character, starting with something simple and put it on this page, then write it later in the proper area, tend to be a good idea. It helps to make you more connected with the character in question, and know more of the kind of backstory details you really want to dig into. :)

This is an example of a simple Bio, though I do have those that are longer. I am not showing those for well... You'll see why if you click. Or read below it.

Basically, the Character pages have a glitch of some kind that the forum haven't worked out yet, that means that whenever you want to use paragraphs, it instead bundles everything together and sets in some code text. It means it gets really crammed and hard to read on the long ones, hence why I use a small one as an example. :)

Reminds me, if you need help with a creator program, I have three different ones I use since I can't draw. I can PM you the links if you want them. ^^ Sometimes it helps to have a character made out before you write. I've had several where I created first, then think *Yep, that's the personality to go for alright*. Even if they didn't match the original idea. Just my process though. I will do what I can to support whatever approach seems best for you. ^_^

As for the other ways of RP with this fandom, I don't really know if there is a Discord or something like that. When I accidentally wandered into this fandom, this was the most unified place I could find. Seemed stable and all, you know? Even if people come and go, the forum remains, and there's always mods keeping it in check. Doesn't die out like the other RP sites I've been part of.

Anyway, I think i covered things well. Just write what you got so far here if you prefer, and we can sort through it. Again, if you need links for the creator ones, lemme know. :) The one in the bio is one, but the others I use have made me able to make these two.

6Tulw5Y.png

Kb4FqqH.jpg

Just examples of course. I have like... Twenty OC's at this point. O.o

1 minute ago, Blitz Boom said:

@Rising Dusk

There is Bio pages that you can use if needed, but if you need more time to flesh out your character, starting with something simple and put it on this page, then write it later in the proper area, tend to be a good idea. It helps to make you more connected with the character in question, and know more of the kind of backstory details you really want to dig into. :)

This is an example of a simple Bio, though I do have those that are longer. I am not showing those for well... You'll see why if you click. Or read below it.

Basically, the Character pages have a glitch of some kind that the forum haven't worked out yet, that means that whenever you want to use paragraphs, it instead bundles everything together and sets in some code text. It means it gets really crammed and hard to read on the long ones, hence why I use a small one as an example. :)

Reminds me, if you need help with a creator program, I have three different ones I use since I can't draw. I can PM you the links if you want them. ^^ Sometimes it helps to have a character made out before you write. I've had several where I created first, then think *Yep, that's the personality to go for alright*. Even if they didn't match the original idea. Just my process though. I will do what I can to support whatever approach seems best for you. ^_^

As for the other ways of RP with this fandom, I don't really know if there is a Discord or something like that. When I accidentally wandered into this fandom, this was the most unified place I could find. Seemed stable and all, you know? Even if people come and go, the forum remains, and there's always mods keeping it in check. Doesn't die out like the other RP sites I've been part of.

Anyway, I think i covered things well. Just write what you got so far here if you prefer, and we can sort through it. Again, if you need links for the creator ones, lemme know. :) The one in the bio is one, but the others I use have made me able to make these two.

6Tulw5Y.png

Kb4FqqH.jpg

19, Blood is tempted to eat one of them 

🦄

1 hour ago, Blitz Boom said:

@Rising Dusk

6Tulw5Y.png

Kb4FqqH.jpg

I do think I have my OC pretty well fleshed out, depending on level of head cannon and such.  It would probably be best to post it out here for the first time to tap into that well of advice you offer.

Sadly, my OC is still in commission, so I don't really have an image to show off at this time.

@BloodDrops

I know. That's one of the reasons why I keep them away from you, and limit your interactions to one with tough scales, and non-fleshy individuals. :P

===========================================================================================================

@Rising Dusk

My advice to you on head-cannon? Try to involve as little of cannon lore as possible. Places and such are great, but with the show's characters in, it starts to become trickier to balance, depending on how much you make them part of the OC's story. Not impossible mind you, but certainly tricky. I'm sure it's fine though. :)

As for your char, a picture is not required straight off  the bat. A physical description will suffice, and then you can just add the picture later when you have it.

As for my first suggestion? Your story have a severe lack of cowbell. It should be remedied. :P Hehe.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

@BloodDrops

I know. That's one of the reasons why I keep them away from you, and limit your interactions to one with tough scales, and non-fleshy individuals. :P

===========================================================================================================

@Rising Dusk

My advice to you on head-cannon? Try to involve as little of cannon lore as possible. Places and such are great, but with the show's characters in, it starts to become trickier to balance, depending on how much you make them part of the OC's story. Not impossible mind you, but certainly tricky. I'm sure it's fine though. :)

As for your char, a picture is not required straight off  the bat. A physical description will suffice, and then you can just add the picture later when you have it.

As for my first suggestion? Your story have a severe lack of cowbell. It should be remedied. :P Hehe.

Oh, yeah my OC doesn't have any cannon characters in his back story. More an assumption of organizations that may or may not exist in Equestria or at least have little behind them. Such as law enforcement or legal systems. 

I'll type something up when I get home that we can tweek. Don't really want to do it from my phone on work breaks xD

What is cowbell? 

Name: Rising Dusk

Species: Unicorn

AppearanceRising Dusk has a midnight blue coat with a short sunset yellow mane and longer full tail, that transitions to red at the tips.  Dusk has a toned fit build, evident for a pony that makes sure he's in shape for work and activities.  Not near the bulk of a Royal Guard, but a few inches taller than the Mane 6.  Often he can be found wearing a light gray hoodie with the hood unused unless it is raining or snowing.

Cutie Mark: Dusk's cutie mark is a sunset orange Magatama rising up, the hole showing through his midnight blue coat.  A yellow starburst with white background glow sitting directly under the bulk and in the curve of the Magatama.

Dusk earned his cutie mark when he was a young colt in school.  It started as a pretty normal day of school drama, as all the students watched the two class prima donnas, a young filly unicorn and pegasus, bickered for classroom dominance again.  Not that Dusk paid all that much attention, his attention was always given to the happenings of the city outside the classroom window.  This day, went wrong rather quickly.  The bickering got more heated than normal, emotions flared and before anypony knew it, the filly unicorn's horn flared with magic and struck the filly pegasus with a very harmful hex.  She didn't mean to, of course, she had no control when her emotions got that way.  Panic and fear erupted in the classroom, ponies ran and screamed as the young pegasus riled in pain on the floor.  Dusk could feel the panic and fear start to set in as he watched the scene unfold, normally the very calm and collected colt.  When he watched the pegasus though, he could see something.  A very faint magical weave of energy wrapped around the pegasus.  The hex perhaps.  Like any weave, he could see the strands in a pattern.  Panic started to fade as he started to think, a little tug on this strand, a pull on that one and a snip here... Before he knew it, his horn erupted in orange and black energy and zapped to the pegasus.  Just as he had imagined, the weave of magic unraveled and the hex broke!  As the panic and fear faded from the classroom when the pegasus slowly came to, Dusk's cutie mark appeared on his flank.

Magic: Evident by the appearance of his cutie mark, Dusk has a unique gift with Dispel and Counter magic.  Removing curses, charms, hexes, jinxes, barriers and enchantments come relatively easy to him.  Rebounding, reflecting, redirecting or outright stopping spells before they go off, depending on the power the other pony or speed of the spell cast, are his expertise.  He has pretty good strength in his telekinesis and energy beam from diligent practice.  Other than that however, he's an average unicorn and wasn't able to excel in other areas.  This puts him in a much more supportive role.  Sadly the lack of available training in such areas of magic have led him to learn much of it on his own.  Because of his work, he did manage to learn a hoof full of binding spells.

Dusk's default magic color is orange, but get's mixed with black when tapping into his Dispel and Counter magic. 

Personality: Quick witted, wise and calm, Dusk often fills the role of mediator among his friends, co-workers and family.  The neutral party that, whether he likes it or not, often finds himself having to get between two arguing or competing parties.  The pony reluctantly picked to be referee for competitions or the bank for bets among his friends and co-workers.  Always ready with a quick one liner or jib to defuse most situations.  Often he is considered quiet, but not out of shyness in more so that he is a great listener rather than talker.  Sometimes it won't even appear he is paying attention, but is quite able to prove otherwise and respond to what they were talking to him about.  Never the star pony, but instead the great sage that guides the hero.

Backstory: Born in Canterlot, his father a unicorn poet and philosopher by the name Star Echo, and mother a pegasus aerial dancer by the name Soaring Grace, and lastly older twin unicorn sister, by 12 hours, Setting Dawn.  When he was just a foal, his family moved to Manehattan where he was then raised.  After the incident that earned him his cutie mark, a small group started to take interest in the young colt.  Once he graduated from school he was quickly recruited by the cities law enforcement office.  Placed in a special division that focused on magical based crimes.  Most of his early career was spent de-cursing and disenchanting dangerous magical objects found throughout Equestria and brought to his office.  Some had to be kept contained in the office's vault, as they were just too powerful for even Dusk to get rid of at his current level of magic, or because the Royalty wanted to keep them around, but safe.  On occasion he'd be brought in to help remove harmful magic from pony victims as well. 

After a few years he managed to move out of the basement and become a full time investigator.  Taking cases to look into crimes committed by magic, whether by unicorn or other ponies just using a magical artifact.  When the case load was low, he'd be out there with other local law enforcement agencies to help in their cases.  Recently, he's been promoted to extending past Manehattan and take on magical crime cases across Equestria when the need arose. 

Rising Dusk has great rapport with his neighborhood.  Often spending his off hours helping the local community, even offering his services to the yearly stage play performed in his neighborhood.  Him and another unicorn providing the special effects on stage by having Dusk rebound the other's spells for some dazzling sights.  Or grabbing the other's energy beam and bending it around into a dance of light.

Hobbies: Reading, pony watching and like every self-respecting Manehattan pony, attending the theater!

Voice: I envision Rising Dusk to have a voice similar to Liam O'Brien's.  If you don't know who that is, he voiced Gaara from dubbed Naruto, War from the Darksiders series and Dr. Strange from most the modern Marvel cartoons.

Hope that is enough.  Look forward to your feedback.

Edited by Rising Dusk

(edited)

@Rising Dusk

I think we can work with assumptions on legal systems. The Royal Guard may have the ultimate authority, but I can imagine that there would be lesser systems like police and sheriffs in smaller or distant areas. I'm sure it can be incorporated. :) Anyway, let's see what the bio says. Looks like one with lots of words! Eeeeeeh, I love those. :D

(one reading later)

Uuuh, I really like the story in the cutie mark. It's detailed, and pretty intriguing. Unique too I must say. It blends well into his magic description, which seems rather balanced all things considered. Counter magic is an interesting take on things, but it is not protecting him from physical harm, and his own magic can be deflected or evaded as well. I would say... Anti-magic armor of some kind and a mallet would be a huge annoyance to him. Not that I intend to attack him, but I like to think that if it comes to it, even the strong are not perfectly safe.

Going to his personality, I see it being an interesting one to meet up with. There are several situations where a calm mediator could be a great help in thing,s or defuse rising tensions in a few with shorter tempers. There would be lplenty for him to do, if he ends up being at the right places at the right times. My devious side however, is tempting me to task him with a clingy loud mouth that means well, but can't help being an annoyance. :P It'll pass... Probably.

Anyway, on to the backstory, I can see what you mean with more orders of the criminal system, but really, this is the easiest to explain I've come across: He's part of a special unit. That can easily have been set up ages ago, to deal with specialized issues that the normal Royal Guard couldn't handle - with a division focusing on magical issues - and put under control of a being that were not part of the high command of the normal branches of the Royal Guards (In this RP we have the usual Solar and Night Guards, as well as the Coast Guard) and not under their control as well, as it was deemed better that this agency had more freedom than the regular police and guards. They could still work well together to make sure the dangerous items you describe got sent to them, and then around to Rising once it was in their custody.

It is not much different from the whole Monster Squad or what it was that Bon Bon used to be part of, so it's really just building on the same principle to make it fit in snugly.

Since we are going with Generals of the three branches of the regular guards in this RP, I might need to tell you some more about them in a PM at a later time, in case he seeks to speak with them, or the princesses. Some knowledge in preparation may come in handy if he is there on some degree of official business.

Anyway, fitting things in aside, I find the backstory good. Explains a good deal, while leaving plenty of space for some innovation down the road, without meddling up the backstory.

Let me go right on ahead and give this a good ol seal of approval. ^^

seal_derpy_by_shutterflye-d5sbl3g.png

(Googled it. Weren't disappointed)

Anyway, as said, I think your character would fit in nicely here. I believe it would make sense also, to start him off in Manehattan, as that appears to be his base. There is an incident that happened there, but it was pretty low key, so no need to get involved in that to fit in thankfully. :)

As for characters to try and pair you with, I have a few options. Before that however, I want to say that eventually, I think the best ones for him to meet would be the sisters, Null and Void. Really, the story you have seems eerily perfect to mingle with them.

Beyond the stories of them, they're also lugging around 26 cursed items that they have to keep close, as they can just suppress the magic, but not remove it. Quite frankly, it sounds perfect to have them meet up with Rising at some point so he can essentially destroy the items. They could likely even be sent there with good reason. However, they are currently occupied (Or well, Null is, and she will not allow her sister to leave Canterlot without her) so I can't have them removed yet, but when I can, I will see to it that they get somewhere within reach of Rising. If you only help them is then up to you of course. :)

But on to the ones that are free and able to join you in Manehattan.

====================================================================================================================

Molotov Boom, and his little sister, Blitz Boom. Inventors from a town of researchers that was recently attacked and left abandoned. Blitz Molotov was not there, whilst Blitz got sent off in a rocket, and she got a severe case of amnesia when they landed, causing hert to not remember anything of her time growing up. Blitz haves her house in the Everfree Forest normally, but after her brother found her,t hey have been dealing with a job that he is presented with, which is to distribute the research papers of the different brances of his old town, to those who can most effectively make use of it.

The reason for being in Manehattan could very well be to seek out Rising, or at least his division,a dn by extend then, Rising. As their division goes far into magical items, a researcher from their town could well have thought them a suitable place to send several papers on the subject to help themselves with more efficient containment measures for transport, transfer of energy, theories into the magical web that keeps curses going, etc. The two of them are a little uhm... Mad scientist-like, bu they are almost certain to not set something on fire within a city limit.

Another one could be that Rising were sent to Molotov's temporary workshop (I have not set a specific location for it yet, so at the outskirt of Manehattan could work fine) to find out if Molotov were planning something, from acquisition of several magical objects,, or concern that a potentially lunatic inventor would use magic to make some cursed items himself. Rising could be sent there specifically to make sure they got defused, in case there were something.

==============================================================================================

Y8nkXdz.png

Spicy Rolls. High stakes poker player, and - depending on your world view - a lender, or a loan shark.

She travels the land seeking both some good games to join in on, and folks who needs a quick loan that she can prey on. Her business is technically legal, with her not roughing up anypony who doesn't pay on time (as far as anypony knows at least) and her return is fixed, without adding extra % on what she needs to be paid back out of nowhere. Still, legal as it is, law enforcement does not tend to like her, or her Griffon bodyguard, and there are some murmurs that have her hooves in certain parts of the black market, and uses the loan business to whitewash some of the proceeds from that. Rising may well be sent to try and see if he can locate any contraband on her, such as valued, magical artifacts hidden in some compartment of her cart, that others cannot find normally. Or he knows somepony who is behind on their payment to her, and think it's best to pay her a visit before she starts sending her goon out after them, just in case.

============================================================================================================================

CDu2NS2.png

Amazon Lily. Member of the Coast Guard, and currently on forced vacation due to an encounter with one of my other characters, that left her pretty damaged. She's fine enough, but the scarring needs to heal, and as such, she can't be allowed to be on active duty. So she have taken the opportunity to wander around and see how the rest of Equestria fares, and stupidly getting herself into bad situations, in her attempt to help. The guard training isn't one that makes her able to just stand around and do nothing when she sees there is an issue, though her trident were confiscated before she were forced on vacation, so her ability to fight back is a little hampered. They let her keep the armor on as it protects the areas of her body where she were hurt the worst.

I think this could work more as an encounter of chance. As in, they were both after the same target, and they ran into one another when trying to take the individual down, or search for clues about somepony. She'd want to help him to finish the job as she had muddled it up then, or just help in general, as she again, have a hard time of just sitting home and relax.

The Coast Guard is generally seen as lesser than the Solar and Night Guards, so you can decide if you would see down on her as well, if it came to that.

=======================================================================================================

I think these three encounters would work the best for the time being, with the characters I have available. I have a couple of more that I could suggest (One of them a friendly demon mare, and another a pretty evil, changeling queen) but I think I will leave the special cases for later on if it is. I don't want to burden you with the tough cases.

And yes, I said demon. I figured it fun to allow for some diversity in allowed races by allowing folks to make their own, if they can argue for their backstory. It's fun. :)

In any case, do let me know what you think of the options provided. If none of them are considered good enough, I may need to make a new one more specific for the situation. It'll cause a bit of a delay though.

P.S. Forgot to explain the cowbell reference. It's basically this.

It's an old, silly reference. I just like putting it out there sometimes. :P

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Thank you very much for that most adorable seal of approval!  And glad that you didn't mind it being wordy.  I did put a bit more effort into his cutie mark story as well, it is the point in a pony's life that their destiny starts after all.

You pretty much identified the weakness to his unique type of magic rather quickly and the reason he fits better as a support pony.  His special Anti-magic barrier can keep him and others safe from all but the most devastating of magic, but all anypony needs to do is throw a rock that it won't stop in the slightest.  Dusk is well aware of this shortfall and trained physically to help not make him the easiest of targets.  Relying on the law enforcement's specific set of binding spells to deal with earth ponies and pegasi criminals.

Haha, opposites attract they say, so putting him with a much more talkative pony would indeed be amusing, but it wouldn't bother him.  He loves to listen and provide words at just the right times.  The perfect sound board.  Dusk isn't a push over though and won't let other speak for him.  He's not afraid to provide a hoof bonk or hoof to lips when needed.

Dusk can fit pretty much anywhere, partly why I put that last bit in his backstory about his promotion so that he can take on cases in other parts of Equestria.  As somepony who is more experienced, your advice in starting in Manehattan might be best to get my hooves wet.  Even though as you hinted at, Dusk does fit eerily well with Null and Void.  Of course, adventures with the Boom siblings could lead anywhere. 

Edited by Rising Dusk

@Rising Dusk

Boom siblings it is then. Trust me, you will get talkative there too. Especially from Blitz. :P Muahahahaha!!!

As said, Null and Void will come in eventually when I can free them up, but one thing at a time. Since the Boom siblings seemed to spark most interest, we will go with them.

What approach would you prefer? Them coming to him, or him coming to Molotov's workshop to  investigate? Also, would you prefer to make the first post, or should I?