Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why do people buy plushies?

lelouch.

Please dont be offended by what i have to say. I love each and every one of you, and i just want your perspective.

Why do people buy plushies? Is it so that one can feel closer to the ponies we have all come to love? But if that's the case.... supoose you went abroad for a while, or you're just missing a family member/loved person.. and there's no seemingly possible way of meeting them, even on phone. Would you go ahead and make plushies of them to keep close to yourself?

I find plushies kinda disturbing. And pony toys in general. They're lifeless, their looks are completely off target. They're unmoving, with still expressions. Some of them don't even look close to the ponies they were supposed to be. I am freaked out by those things.

But if you feel like you can turn my opinion around I'd love that :)

Again, no offense to anyone who spent money on plushies or pony toys.

Edit: so many people have stated that they find plushies cute. I searched google images, and did find a selected few which didnt look like abominations. So i get your point. I still find it creepy, but i respect your opinions, and i think its time to request someone to lock this thread.

Edit 2: people, i rest my case. Perhaps its me with the problem. Keep doing what you do, dont mind me. :)

Edited by hamza
  • Brohoof 1

i cannot agree with you more.

but i am a special case, i hate merchandise of any kind(literally, i have no merchandise, of anything that i like)

Most of the stuff that comes directly from Hasbro is pretty ugly in my opinion.

Though i´ve seen some cool-looking custom figurines on Deviantart.

• Brohoof 2

@ Sceethe . I too think the stuff from hasbro is not all too good to look at. However, I'm surprisingly okay with people making drawings of ponies. It seems to have a completely different and artistic taste, and seems to be done in respect for the ponies. Like organising a welcome for them in season 5 ^_^

• Brohoof 1

they're inanimate objects, so of course they're lifeless. So are doors and tables and fire hydrants.

answering your example of someone going away for a time and missing their family. Most people carry pictures. Or mementos of theirs. Or face-time through a computer or phone. Because digital age.

but getting back to plushies. I don't like them, because most mass-produced company stuff looks like crap, and I'm picky about plushies. Pony plushies in particular. I think the fans just make them a lot better.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Errrrrr....some people like merch? Just because you find them to be creepy doesn't really mean they should be creepy for everyone, and many people like myself love having a cuddly, soft, sweet pony to hold because they're so wonderful :wub: I have 4 Rarity plushies, and I plan on picking up a 4DE Rarebear when she comes out :wub: I also have what can be essentially a room of Rarity merch (it was on EQD once :D ) and I really find happiness in coming home to a room full of the pony I love so much :D It makes me very, very happy :please:

So...yeahh :confused:

• Brohoof 4

For me, they!re primarily for decoration. Lil' Chen Stormstout really ties the room together. I draw a lot of inspiration from nerd culture, so having some figures and plushies around helps with that.

Also: omgadorbz (see avatar)

Still waiting on 4DE before I get any pony plushies.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally bought my Fluttershy plushie because I am a realistic person and I know that a plushie is the closest thing I will ever get to cuddling with the "real" Fluttershy.

On a side note, I am also a dreamer and optimistic. So in short, I want to cuddle with the real Fluttershy, I want to see science come as far as traveling to television worlds, but I know that it is not within my lifespan, if even possible at all, yet that won't stop me from wanting it to happen.

• Brohoof 3

i have. But its just that pony plushies dont look like the real deal.

stuffed animals don't usually ever look like the real animals.

unless you mean the show.  if you mean the show, the toys are actually the real ponies and the show is not accurate. 

they're inanimate objects, so of course they're lifeless. So are doors and tables and fire hydrants.

answering your example of someone going away for a time and missing their family. Most people carry pictures. Or mementos of theirs. Or face-time through a computer or phone. Because digital age.

but getting back to plushies. I don't like them, because most mass-produced company stuff looks like crap, and I'm picky about plushies. Pony plushies in particular. I think the fans just make them a lot better.

oh im sorry i wasnt clear enuff. I just meant that they look weird, not moving and all when theyre meant to capture the effect of the actual mane 6. And about the pictures, i mentioned in an earlier comment that im all good with pictures of ponies. Here have one:

post-28884-0-52931100-1410547843_thumb.gif

• Brohoof 1

There are quite a few reasons. I could go on and on, but I'll just give my opinion right now.

Personally, I have some mental and psychological issues that I'd rather not go into, but it's left me with a soft spot for plushies (considering I am a 19 year old dude, most people would find that a bit unusual, but to each is his own). There's just something about them that helps me cope a bit with what I'm dealing with.

Another thing is that they are the best representation we have to the real ponies, or traveling to their world. I mean, yeah, you could make animatronic ponies with AI (thanks to technology these days), but in all honesty, there's only so much a robot can do, as advanced as they are becoming. A human mind, or imagination more specifically, has more ability to be free from contraints and restrictions like AI is known to have.

• Brohoof 1

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally bought my Fluttershy plushie because I am a realistic person and I know that a plushie is the closest thing I will ever get to cuddling with the "real" Fluttershy.

On a side note, I am also a dreamer and optimistic. So in short, I want to cuddle with the real Fluttershy, I want to see science come as far as traveling to television worlds, but I know that it is not within my lifespan, if even possible at all, yet that won't stop me from wanting it to happen.

you know scientists are working on this...uh.. lucid dreaming? I think thats what it was called. They said we can see whatever we like and do whatever we like in our dreams. Like seeing an imaginary future. I think hugging fluttershy there would be a tad bit cooler, dont you think?

i have. But its just that pony plushies dont look like the real deal.

I think the ones 4DE makes are probably the best you buy for that price; I would say their plushes are comparable to fanmade ones. Other than 4DE, I have no appeal in mass produced pony plush since they look far too odd or low quality in my opinion.

Edited by Krovavaya Luna
  • Brohoof 1

stuffed animals don't usually ever look like the real animals.

unless you mean the show.  if you mean the show, the toys are actually the real ponies and the show is not accurate.

well... you're right the stuffed animals didnt look real at all.

Because they're Fluffy and cute (well, some of them are. Some look like something out of Five Nights at Freddy's).

I've never bought one (because of how expensive they are), but if I could I would just buy a reasonably small Pinkie Pie one, put it next to my TV and occcasionally glance at it and say "Aww".

And I'd do it because I think Pinkie is the pone whose personality is closer to mine, so having her plushie in my house kind of "express" how I am.

But I wouldn't sleep or cuddle with her or something. Never been that kind of person, not even as a kid (Not looking down at all at people who do :v I love everypony regardless)

• Brohoof 1

Because they're Fluffy and cute (well, some of them are. Some look like something out of Five Nights at Freddy's).

I've never bought one (because of how expensive they are), but if I could I would just buy a reasonably small Pinkie Pie one, put it next to my TV and occcasionally glance at it and say "Aww".

And I'd do it because I think Pinkie is the pone whose personality is closer to mine, so having her plushie in my house kind of "express" how I am.

But I wouldn't sleep or cuddle with her or something. Never been that kind of person, not even as a kid (Not looking down at all at people who do :v I love everypony regardless)

what would you say to this pinkie pie?? She's sooo cute its almost evil :P

post-28884-0-18204700-1410549116_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Why I buy plush (not just pony)

I see them sort of like a friend when I'm alone (not in a kiddy way)

they are adorable

decor in the room I guess

they help keep me warm in cold weather

yeah that sums it up for me.

• Brohoof 1

Seriously, it is as simple as this for me. I collected Ty beanie babies when they were the rage, and now collect some stuffed mlp things. Do I sleep with them? No I don't as all the figures it have sit of my desk.

And on a serious note, I am careful on how much I collect of anything. It has to do with hoarding, and what happened in my life. So I am quite picky on what I get, I just don't just get something because it looks like something I like. But it had better be in great condition and look great.

• Brohoof 1