Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So about these Non-Remix Fan Music...

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

This is a question I've been asking myself for quite some time and even more so now that I've delved into Ponyville Live and have been listening to Luna Radio. Those who know the fan music scene of the community better than I do will surely tell me that there are a lot of soundtracks -- some really good ones -- that wouldn't be recognized as something related to MLP:FiM in any shape or form unless it's made blatantly obvious by, say, drawn fan art on the youtube video. More so with instrumentals as I haven't come across many original-sounding soundtracks with lyrics.

Being that I am no musician myself can I really call myself an artist for lack of experience and investment. So here I ask as someone who doesn't know better to try and have a better understanding of how and why there are many soundtracks made about the franchise but not recognizable as being from the franchise. I would have expected the brony music landscape to have been all remixes and covers...

Is the answer really as simple as "inspiration"? If so, a better explanation would be appreciated still.

Being from the franchise would mean it is official. Fan made songs are songs that are based on the MLP franchise, but it's from the fans, not the creators. It's like a fanfiction. MLP fanfictions are not official nor canon. They were created by fans, but it's based on MLP. Does that make any sense? 

Being from the franchise would mean it is official. Fan made songs are songs that are based on the MLP franchise, but it's from the fans, not the creators. It's like a fanfiction. MLP fanfictions are not official nor canon. They were created by fans, but it's based on MLP. Does that make any sense? 

Now I'm wondering if I explained the question propperly in the OP... Being largely a gamer, fanmade music tend to be remixes so it's very recognizable. Let me give an example from the Metroid series

However, in the MLP:FiM fan music landscape, there are plenty of songs that lack a resemblance to anything found in the show or movies.

Now I'm wondering if I explained the question propperly in the OP... Being largely a gamer, fanmade music tend to be remixes so it's very recognizable. Let me give an example from the Metroid series

Original song from the game Super Metroid

However, in the MLP:FiM fan music landscape, there are plenty of songs that lack a resemblance to anything found in the show or movies.

That is true. Still, as long as they are fan made, it's not form the franchise. MLP also cannot put fan made content in the show because of legal issues. 

Original song from the game Super Metroid

Fanmade remix

This is often due to taking inspiration from the source material. The world of FiM allows for a very broad inspirational motive. While there are alot of songs that are direct remixes of the official show soundtrack there are others like this

that without the image and specific knowledge of the show would be alot harder to pin as FiM fan music.

And occasionally (far more often during the earlier days of the fandom) people would label their music as "pony" simply because the fandom brings with it many viewers, and thus more money for the musical artists. So you may also get the occasional song that isn't related to the show directly, nor inspired by it but carries the label to achieve a higher viewership.

• Brohoof 1

Well, as one of the artists here who's done more original stuff, it's mostly due to inspiration from the show rather than anything else. However, I will say that some of the stuff I do is also a set of themes for other pony related projects. Some are character themes for OC's, and others are actual "remixes" so to speak.

At least this is my explanation.

• Brohoof 1