Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the Afterlife is actually like?

Handsome Changeling

I think the afterlife will consist of a person just enjoying what they enjoyed during their life.

If a person loved being with their family, then they will spend time with their relatives that have passed away.

If a person enjoyed painting, then they will spend time painting divine pictures.

But if they enjoyed ripping peoples' faces off, then it probably won't be so pleasant. :P

Truthfully, I think we move on to something like a new life. Like reincarnation, but in totally different circumstances. There are many things we can not explain about consciousness and other things in the brain, so it is possible that maybe, we just move on to something else.

...I don't know if I even believe in an afterlife. I know that I'm supposed to (just like I'm supposed to believe in God) but too much is unexplained that I find it hard to believe to be honest. :( I'm just a scientifically-minded person, I guess.

I will say that if the heaven and hell concept exists... I'll be really sad since I think no one deserves eternal suffering, not even the worst, most hateful people on Earth. Enough should be enough, and I couldn't worship a God that would allow that. :(

Edited by SparklingSwirls

My beliefs are that there is an afterlife. I believe that when this body falls away to death, I shall return to my true home. Which coincidentally is Equestria. For everyone else, I see it as whatever they make of it.

• Brohoof 1

Ever played Gmod?

It's like that, with ALL OF THE MODS INSTALLED. Do whatever you want, with whatever you want. Freedom. True freedom. Make your own heaven.

Personally, I plan on going on an epic Gmod quest with Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle.

Edited by Asquerade

I don't believe in any sort of an afterlife. I personally think that the lights go out. So kinda just darkness. As scary as that may sound, it isn't that part that bothers me, it is just death in general. That's why even when I did see myself as a 'christian' many years ago, (I am now an atheist, been so since I was 14) it still did not quell my fear of death.

So blackness void kinda thing, that's what I think.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be met by an angel at the gates of Heaven. There after you'll be told how exactly you died and then you'll be given the choice whether you just want to stay in Heaven for the rest of eternity or be resurrected back on Earth in a completely new body - (newborn baby, of course) with a one-hundred percent amnesia. Basically, starting a whole new life from scratch.

That's at least how I think it'll happen.. or you'll just be stuck on a G4 airplane, waiting for takeoff.

Hell exists. It's called Earth, and we live in it right now - at least that's what my mother always told me. If there's a heaven, there doesn't necessarily have to be a counter-part. Eternal hellfire doesn't seem fair or the product of an all-loving God anyways, so Earth is the closest to "Hell" that could potentially exist, in my opinion.

I'd love to believe there's a heaven. Eternal darkness and nothingness is an incredibly depressing thought. This is why, even when my beliefs were completely atheistic, I never blamed anyone for believing in an afterlife, because no one wants to be gone forever. Nowadays, I've softened up to the possibility of God and an afterlife due to many experiences I've had throughout my life. I see design everywhere I look - in the trees, the mountains, the beauty of life, the entirety of outer space...It's all around us. I can't comprehend the idea that this somehow isn't the work of a Higher Power, and just simply pure coincidence that happened to spawn out of...well, nothing. At the same time, it's impossible to wrap my head around the concept of God and how he supposedly operates, so who am I to say what's the truth and what isn't?

Edited by Rivendare

@

I'm very happy for you. A lot of atheists ignore God. I don't know how they do it because I've been bothered by it my whole life.

I am sort-of an existential expert, and I know God is real. He created us so he would have someone to love. If there's any questions you have about him you're free to ask me. If I could help anyone with their doubt that would make me happy.

Edited by Stancet

I was raised to believe in the classical image of heaven, though that's never quite settled well with me -- from the fact that the idea itself of a truly perfect, truly eternal place seeming just plain unsettling to the fact that the apparent 'ways you get in vs. ways you get locked out forever' always seeming weird and unfair to me.

I actually do have my own opinion of the afterlife which just "seems right to me", maybe it's wisdom or maybe it's just the inner thoughts of my mind working to keep me calm and sane in the face of inevitable death.  But I've always liked the idea of a heaven, hell and purgatory type situation, with 'layers' of each depending on how bad or good you really truly were in life, and ways to rise of fall among those tiers.  Like Dante's several layers of hell depending on what sins you committed, except far more complex than that, rather than say YOU'RE ON THIS LEVEL IF YOU WERE A GLUTTON or YOU'RE NEAR THE BOTTOM IF YOU COMMITTED SUICIDE, it would take into account the whole of your life and your person and your situation and give you a suitable level of heaven, hell or in between, and even after you get there you could work to rise up until you're at the tip-top of heaven or be  a jerk and fall until you're way deep into hell.  I actually think, as stupid as it sounds, the manga Bleach had a pretty cool idea of it -- basically depending on how good of a person you are you will be put into a type of earth-like 'community' in the afterlife ranging from 1-100, with 1 being basically a fantastic awesome leisurely place and degrading in quality as you go up until you get to more and more slum-like areas and 100 being basically the bowels of hell.  An accurate reflection of real life, but for the afterlife you actually earn your place instead of having to face whatever luck threw at you when you were born into this world.

I'm also really comforted by the idea of reincarnation, that we're all energy that moves from thing to thing as one shell dies and continues to experience life as long as there's life to be experienced -- though I dunno how much I believe that's really a thing, I love the idea.

Edited by hip-indeed

What? My brain is not working 

No. I've just always been taught that two things are guaranteed when you go to Heaven. One, there will be people there you didn't expect to be there. Two, there will be people not in heaven that you expected to be there.

In my mind, I believe the manga artist Osamu Tezuka deserves a place in heaven because he was an amazing man. But since I've never been sure whether he's Buddhist, Christian or Agnostic I couldn't say with certainty where he is (even if he was Christian).

Well, since I'm a Christian, I don't believe in the "afterlife" I believe in heaven and hell. Since I'm a Christian, I don't fear death. If I die, I get to see Jesus first, so I win. But, no one knows what heaven looks like. The Bible gives some details of heaven, like there is no death, crying, sorrow, etc.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." - Revelation 21:4

The Bible also says heaven, evidently, has rooms. Where, in heaven, you can have your own room.

"In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?"

There are hundreds of things the Bibles says about heaven, those are just the ones I could think off of the top of my head. So, what it will be like, I'm sure it will be amazing. I get to see my dead family members, praise God, never feel any pain, sounds like a great way to spend eternity. 

• Brohoof 1

@@hip-indeed,

Well, Heaven is quite different. It is not the place of picturesque beauty or a place divided by a cast system. And God does not want anyone cast out. Heaven is his way of sharing his love for us, and in heaven there is a special place for everybody where we'll finally be happy like we've all been trying to be while we're stuck on this Earth. But you get into heaven if you choose to live in God's love, which he freely gives us. And if you chose to not live in his love then he respectfully leaves you to torment. But on this Earth you have the choice to have either God's justice or God's mercy 

• 2 weeks later...

Some things I would just rather not think of, this being one of them, but I suppose we will all find out soon enough, life is short so we might as well make the most out of it.....

Depends on what your religion is or what you believe in is true to you. I think of it two ways, with all my bad deeds I have done right now, probably Hell. But if I stop and promise to only do good stuff...maybe He will consider me into Heaven? Just I thought up there :P

• Brohoof 2

Depends on what your religion is or what you believe in is true to you. I think of it two ways, with all my bad deeds I have done right now, probably Hell. But if I stop and promise to only do good stuff...maybe He will consider me into Heaven? Just I thought up there :P

Nobody goes into heaven because they were good. And nobody goes to hell because they were bad. God's already made a way for humans to go to heaven. He did the work so we wouldn't have to, because he wants us to experience the intense love he has for us. People who reject his love unfortunately can not have a place in him because they're denying the work God has done for them.

I'm not a religious person, but I like to think the afterlife is specially tailored for everybody. So it might have what they've always wanted there.

Oh most definitely. 

• Brohoof 1