Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology PC Build- What do you guys think?

Cirrus.

So It's been about 4 years since I've bought a computer.

Budget- $1 a day.

My last one- 2010 i7 Vaio notebook.

4 years later that means my budget is about $1300-1600. The Vaio is still perfectly fine, but my desktop is back from when I started high school around 2003. It's a Dell Pentium 4 @2.0 GHZ and still looks and functions perfect- but since it's XP it's been sparsely used over the last few years.

This time around I plan on building my own since nothing offered factory assembled appeals to me or seems to be as good of a value. My old desktop was great when it came to tool-less component swapping. I did so much with that thing. I'm still going to keep it for older stuff.

Anyway I usually always shoot for upper middle of the road when I buy a computer.

I'm not a gamer. I don't have the time- and would be doing something else anyway if I did. I'm mainly going to be editing video and probably running Adobe Creative Cloud in the near future.

It's probably a little overkill, but here's my plan.

•   MB:    Asus X99-Deluxe ATX 2011e
  • CPU:   Core i7 5820k 6-core 3.3Ghz
  •             -Cooler:  Corsair Hydro Series H55 ==> Corsair H105
  • RAM:   16GB Crucial (4X4GB) DDR4 2133
  • SSD:    Samsung 120gb
  • HDD    1TB WD Black
  • Video:  ASUS GeForce GTX 760 ==> ASUS GeForce GTX 770 (due to advice from @Daring, and @Lunatic Envy.)
  • PWR:   Corsair 750W CX750M
  • OPTI:   12X Asus Blu-Ray Burner
  • OPTI:   24X LG DVDRW
  • Windows 8.1

Case:    Zalman Z12 Plus (Mid Tower)

post-24370-0-67030100-1410753971_thumb.jpg

I'm sure a lot of you guys out there are more up to speed with the current stuff out there than I am. Your input on brands and specs would be appreciated. This is what I put together after poking around and researching for a day (about 8hrs). I live 10 minutes from a Micro Center store which is great, because with rebates- it looks like the pricing is going to be better than online. I'd rather go there in person and buy stuff anyway than deal with return shipping if I have an issue.

Also I like something that looks sharp and not too flashy. I'm not interested in making a mini Christmas tree/Las Vegas (below) for a computer case lol. :lol:

post-24370-0-45380400-1410755359_thumb.jpg

post-24370-0-67030100-1410753971_thumb.jpg

post-24370-0-45380400-1410755359_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 1

That is like, an ideal computer for everything. If you can make all that fit in your budget, then go for it! You will use that computer for a loooong time!

I tried to stick with brands I've heard of. Any brands that you've had any particular good or bad experiences with?

• Brohoof 1

Okay, while I fuck around on PCPartPicker trying to come up with some better builds, how about if I ask some questions?

• Do you really need a Haswell-E processor? Would just a 4790K suffice?
  • Do you also need two optical drives? Just one will do all the functions you need. But then that raises a greater question, do you need optical media?
  • Don't you need a bit more storage than just 120GB too? Why not a secondary hard drive for large file storage?

In the meantime, this is what I've come up with so far... let me know what you think.

• Brohoof 3

Okay, while I fuck around on PCPartPicker trying to come up with some better builds, how about if I ask some questions?

• Do you really need a Haswell-E processor? Would just a 4790K suffice?
  • Do you also need two optical drives? Just one will do all the functions you need. But then that raises a greater question, do you need optical media?
  • Don't you need a bit more storage than just 120GB too? Why not a secondary hard drive for large file storage?

In the meantime, this is what I've come up with so far... let me know what you think.

Thanks,

I forgot to mention I have external hard drives up the wazoo. I'm probably going to add in a WD Black later on.

Do I need the Haswell-E and DDR4? probably not.

As for the two optical drives- I'm old school that way. B)

LOL- I do need at least the blu-ray burner as I do burn Blu-Ray discs from my semi-pro video camera.

I also still like dual drives for copying discs better. Besides, they're fairly cheap.

• Brohoof 1

If you're planning on upgrading to the GTX 770 and you can wait a little, the GTX 970 and 980 are going to drop soon. Benchmark leaks indicate that the 970 will be somewhere between the current 780 and a Titan. Certain Adobe CC apps would benefit from the more powerful card for CUDA.

• Brohoof 3

Thanks,

I forgot to mention I have external hard drives up the wazoo. I'm probably going to add in a WD Black later on.

Do I need the Haswell-E and DDR4? probably not.

As for the two optical drives- I'm old school that way. img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

LOL- I do need at least the blu-ray burner as I do burn Blu-Ray discs from my semi-pro video camera.

I also still like dual drives for copying discs better. Besides, they're fairly cheap.

All right then, how does this look?

If you're planning on upgrading to the GTX 770 and you can wait a little, the GTX 970 and 980 are going to drop soon. Benchmark leaks indicate that the 970 will be somewhere between the current 780 and a Titan. Certain Adobe CC apps would benefit from the more powerful card for CUDA.

That's a good point too, the GTX 970 and 980 are gonna be dropping real soon.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely am partial to Nvidia since my current laptop which is Nvidia. They seem smoother than AMD/ATI that seem to "buffer judder" or whatever more so than Nvidia and it bugs me.

Do you know how much the 970 will be when it comes out?

Edited by steve88

I definitely am partial to Nvidia since my current laptop which is Nvidia. They seem smoother than AMD/ATI that seem to "buffer judder" or whatever more so than Nvidea and it bugs me.

Do you know how much the 970 will be when it comes out?

It's rumored to be launching at $399US.

• Brohoof 1

But pony it like hell. Just make it look awesome.

K? :)

I'll try to find a Luna cutie mark decal to put on the case window, but that's probably about it.

Like I said earlier, I don't exactly want it to end up looking like a christmas tree, lol.

All right then, how does this look?

That's a good point too, the GTX 970 and 980 are gonna be dropping real soon.

I don't think I want to drop $400 on a video card. The 760 is only going to run me $235. I would rather go with the 2011 v3 & DDR4 and worry about the video card in a couple of years if need be.

Thanks for showing me that pick site too. It is definitely helpful.

Does anyone know of any brands to stay away from (for any component) that might be well known, but problem prone?

Edited by steve88

I don't think I want to drop $400 on a video card. The 760 is only going to run me $235. I would rather go with the 2011 v3 & DDR4 and worry about the video card in a couple of years if need be.

It's for balance reasons. Typically, you want to spend more on the GPU than CPU. But if that's your plan, power to you.

• Brohoof 1

It's for balance reasons. Typically, you want to spend more on the GPU than CPU. But if that's your plan, power to you.

How much faster do you estimate video rendering could be with a 980? (I really have no idea.) It needs to be at least 20% faster.

Jokes aside, do you really think it will make enough of a difference with an editing app to warrant an additional $200? I'm fine with upgrading later on if needed.  Also, as I mentioned I'm not going to be gaming, so other than editing I'll just be on the internet. So it's probably like using a corvette just to go down the street to the grocery store, lol.

How much faster do you estimate video rendering could be with a 980? (I really have no idea.) It needs to be at least 20% faster.

Jokes aside, do you really think it will make enough of a difference with an editing app to warrant an additional $200? I'm fine with upgrading later on if needed.  Also, as I mentioned I'm not going to be gaming, so other than editing I'll just be on the internet. So it's probably like using a corvette just to go down the street to the grocery store, lol.

You already have a Corvette in the form of the 5820K on Haswell-E, so no worries about that. Based on your stated workflow, a strong CPU would benefit you more than a stronger GPU.

I checked the Adobe CC system requirements here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html#Adobe%20Premiere%20Pro%20CC%20%282014%29%20system%20requirements%20and%20language%20versions

It doesn't appear that the GTX 760 is on the list of supported CUDA GPUs. If you are looking to take advantage of CUDA accelerated workflows (primarily in Premiere Pro CC, to a lesser extent in After Effects and Photoshop), you may want to pick something off that list since I've heard of people running into issues attempting to get unsupported cards to work.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks @, and @@Lunatic Envy. I decided to up the graphics card a bit. I almost got burned trying to save a VERY small percent off the total build cost. Thanks especially @Lunatic Envy for checking the Adobe list. :muffins: It was late yesterday when I put this up and I somehow didn't think of that. The $65 upgrade is definitely worth it compared to the aggravation I probably would've had when I found out the hard way. :angry:

That is why I thought to ask you guys on here for advice, I'd rather not learn the hard way. :okiedokielokie:

On a side note, here's the description. . . LOL (1st line)

post-24370-0-80307100-1410831679_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to see it's Rainbow Dash approved!!! :lol:

Lol- and last night I found out that the company name"ASUS" is derived from the word Pegasus.

post-24370-0-40552600-1410831812_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks @, and @@Lunatic Envy. I decided to up the graphics card a bit. I almost got burned trying to save a VERY small percent off the total build cost. Thanks especially @Lunatic Envy for checking the Adobe list. :muffins: It was late yesterday when I put this up and I somehow didn't think of that. The $65 upgrade is definitely worth it compared to the aggravation I probably would've had when I found out the hard way. :angry:

That is why I thought to ask you guys on here for advice, I'd rather not learn the hard way. :okiedokielokie:

On a side note, here's the description. . . LOL

graphix card.jpg

I'm glad to see it's Rainbow Dash approved!!! :lol:

Lol- and last night I found out that the company name"ASUS" is derived from the word Pegasus.

RDHAPPY.jpg

Not sure if you've already ordered the parts, but the estimated retail pricing for the GTX 970 is now $299 for reference models. Thing is supposed to come close to a Titan in performance while using less power than my 670, with 4GB VRAM.

It's not on the above list since its not out yet, but no reason to believe it won't be, being an x70 sequence GPU.

Just throwing it out there :)