Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you pick/come up with/choose/create/whatever your motto?

Koukatsu

We have a "username origins" type thread, and even an "avatar origins" type thread, but I want to know about your mottos.

(Also, I tried searching for similar topics, and came up with nothing, so... Yeah...)

"Knight takes King."

Because a King should be in the front lines, fighting alongside his men, and the cowardly Kings who hide behind the lives of their men and the walls of their castles should be slain by those they would sacrifice as shields. 

You've no right to order a pony to risk their life if you are not willing to risk your own.

EDIT 20140918;

I like how this is turning out. Keep them coming, everypony. :muffins:

Edited by Koukatsu
  • Brohoof 3

"You don't slay your demons. You tame them."

There's a lot I could talk about here but what it comes down to ultimately have been my own struggles with my own inner demons. The whole "slay your demons" phrase makes it sound as though violence is somehow going to solve it or that they can be destroyed. Those "demons" are every bit a part of you as you are a part of yourself -- they could well be a different side of yourself that gets suppressed for some reason or another. These demons share your memories and your experiences but it's as though they take things from a different perspective than your "self". These differences can result in conflicts but they can be reconciled with and that's the key: reconciliation. First they need to be understood and perhaps before that even, they need to be able to grow on their own. 

Today, a certain demon of mine is still a part of me but doesn't give me nearly as much trouble as it used to. At first this demon seemed to embody self-loathing, hatred and violence but now, it's clear that she is one who is concerned with protection of her vulnerable inner self through a cold, barbed steel exterior and in understanding her, it has become clear where she's coming from. I've been thinking of letting myself be more like her. I understand where she gets her sense of accomplishment from and I believe that I too could come to that place if I go down the same path. But she is not without her flaws. For one, she's very misanthropic but as long as there's something worth fighting for, she can remain strong even in a world where violence is pretty much the norm.

• Brohoof 2

"Until the end" - and other variations. It kinda just got repeated a lot between me and an internet friend of mine, we'd play games, but were never very great at them, not bad, just we usually found ourselves apposing the better players, and thus on the losing side. We made it a thing were we just fight it out til the end, even if it seems impossible. sometimes, we actually make a huge comeback. We just fight it out til the end; and I guess that can kinda be applied to real life where if things are looking down just tread your way through or even fight it out, you may find yourself victorious, but if you lose, you lost fighting like a champ. No surrender!

Edited by NotoriousSMALL
  • Brohoof 2

my motto was inspired off of several things video games, movies, other fanfics..... what it means is it doesn't matter who you are your going to die at some point

"You can try as hard as you want but everypony has an expiration date no matter if you do everything right or wrong good or evil when the life thread calls you must answer it"

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame
  • Brohoof 1

Interestingly enough, "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first" is a line written down by Miyamoto Musashi, a famous Japanese swordsman, in his "Book of five rings" - a manual he had written on strategy and swordsmanship, with a philosophical approach. Rather encouraging.

• Brohoof 1

"Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." -Ecclesiastes 2:11 (New International Version)

I was raised Christian and reading the Bible, though I won't say what my current religious views are because they may be changing day-to-day. However, Ecclesiastes was always my favorite book. I related to Solomon's depression. Despite being a rich king, he still couldn't find enjoyment in his life.

His laments in the early part of the book invoke the phrase "chasing after the wind" multiple times. I was actually unaware of this, having not read Ecclesiastes in a long time when @Sunny Fox originally suggested the name to me. After I chose the name, I discovered this quote and used it as it reflects how I see my life when I'm in the deepest pits of my personal insecurities.

Thankfully, I've found such a great, supportive community here. Though my depression constantly tells me I'm not welcome here, I'm not wanted anywhere, or that I'm not good enough for anyone, this community has remained supportive and given me a sense of belonging. I'm trying to achieve self-discovery, self-awareness, and motivation. This community, like few others, seems ready to help those who need this kind of motivation, and I'm thankful for that.

• Brohoof 2

"It's time to lace up your tryhard boots."

Warning, extreme geekiness ahead.

Call of Duty tournament at Gamestop for MW3. I had 5 friends (team of 6) for the team deathmatch. It was to 100 kills. After fifteen minutes, we had 30 kills and they had 70. I shouted "TEAM, TIME TO LACE UP YOUR TRYHARD BOOTS." Somehow, we won. 100-97. Since then, it's just something I tell my friends when they need to put more focus into what they are doing. Now, I use it at work and school, just to grab people's attention. 

• Brohoof 3

I had to check my profile to see what was on there .... and I completely forgot I had updated it.

It was a joke derived from a status update convo between Ghostie and Faded. :D

• Brohoof 1

"Greet each new day with eager disdain"

Bro Team senpai once uttered that, and I took it to heart.

"It's time to lace up your tryhard boots."

Warning, extreme geekiness ahead.

Call of Duty tournament at Gamestop for MW3. I had 5 friends (team of 6) for the team deathmatch. It was to 100 kills. After fifteen minutes, we had 30 kills and they had 70. I shouted "TEAM, TIME TO LACE UP YOUR TRYHARD BOOTS." Somehow, we won. 100-97. Since then, it's just something I tell my friends when they need to put more focus into what they are doing. Now, I use it at work and school, just to grab people's attention.

I say that for CoD, though it's more derogatory, like "Time to slip on my tryhard panties" xD
  • Brohoof 3

Do I really have one? Well, there is that one in my profile... "Live for life, not death". To put it simply, it is a jab at extreme religious thinking... Mainly for the idea that some (prominent) religious individuals harbor that religion creates the reason for being, and that nonbelievers can not have any value for life, or any reason to live.

I know it seems kind of mean... It's quite a blunt way at looking at it... BUT with the mindset above being so prominent, I can't help but see how ridiculous it is and shoot right back.

Even Pascal's Wager - which rides on the idea of there being absolutely nothing to lose in simply giving your life to the idea of there being a God and an afterlife - really bothers me, and the "Live for life, not death" can also be a jab aimed directly at it.

Sorry for the religious content of the post, but that's the only way to explain it because that's what it means. =P

• Brohoof 2

"A squirrel's perception of my existential value is highly dependent on the status of my nut possession."

It's a proverb I made up. It means small minded people only value others when they have something of obvious value to them.

It's cynical, yes... but it's actually meant to be interpreted the other way. If someone only comes to you for their own personal gain, they're acting like a squirrel--quick, impulsive, and thoughtless.

It also means such people can easily be influenced. The man with the nut owns the squirrel. The squirrel is the pet.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 3

I'm no better than anyone else.

Well, to be honest it's pretty cheesy and it probably comes from being put down by the middle school bullies, but this motto is sort of a definition of my life. It's sort of a virtue and a vice. I get kind of frustrated when something rather obvious to me yet everyone else doesn't think it's so. I feel that if I knew it why didn't anyone else catch it? And when I don't understand something I'm not shy about asking for help or anything. 

• Brohoof 1

"Take me tonight to the river and wash my illusions away."

It comes from the song Show Me the Way by Styx from the album Edge of the Century. I love that song. And that album. And that band.

It also has a deeper meaning to me. You see, the song was for DeYoung's son who had lost his faith in Christianity. I, myself, had stopped believing in God when I first heard the song. As I was listening to it, my mother, who was driving the car with the radio I was using to listen to the song, pointed at a church.

The next day, I went to Church for the first time in five years.

Edited by Ludicrous.Speed
  • Brohoof 2

It is actually a take on my blog moto, as I am on a journey walking the narrow road. As a Christian I am in this world but this isn't the end of my wanderings. I'm seeking the higher road, and am running a race.

This might not make sense to anyone but myself. But I need a reminder to not get tripped up in the small stuff of life.

• Brohoof 2

It is actually a take on my blog moto, as I am on a journey walking the narrow road. As a Christian I am in this world but this isn't the end of my wanderings. I'm seeking the higher road, and am running a race.

This might not make sense to anyone but myself. But I need a reminder to not get tripped up in the small stuff of life.

It makes sense.

I'm christian and yeah, it does

• Brohoof 1