Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you pick/come up with/choose/create/whatever your motto?

Koukatsu

"Take me tonight to the river and wash my illusions away."

It comes from the song Show Me the Way by Styx from the album Kilroy Was Here. I love that song. And that album. And that band.

Yay, a fellow Styx fan! :3 *belts out* WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENIN'...:D

Anyway! :P My motto is "Shine like rainbows." Not only do I freaking love that song, but I also think it's a wonderful motto. :)

• Brohoof 1

"If its not within arms reach I'm going to sprain something to get it."- ME

I think I'm the first to say this quote mainly because this happens to me all the time. I'm lazy so if I want to get something I don't want to move from my chair to get it. I either don't get it or I try and end up spraining a vein or something. If thats even a thing. :squee: 

• Brohoof 1

"Work hard to get out of working hard."

It was uttered to my supervisor when my co-worker asked them about my performance, and it sounded funny. I think any sort of "meaning" behind it would be that I work to get to the top of the corporate ladder.

• Brohoof 1

My motto is for a laugh and I find it quite true to me, I am not a serious person so a comical motto goes.

"I have one of those very loud, stupid laughs. I mean if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I'd probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up"

I saw this online and knew it was my new motto.

• Brohoof 1

What? You mean the one about you being a fucking cabbage? Oh that's from frankie boyle about the Jeremy Kyle show.

Though I'm gonna change it soon. But put my current motto in my about me.

• Brohoof 1

"Don't mistake my kindness for my weakness."

I chose it because I googled some quotes, and I found the motto there. I also chose it because it reflects a part of my personality.

Edited by -Flutterbat-
  • Brohoof 1

I've gone through MANY mottos and catchphrases in my life. If I borrow something from a different source, it's because it really connected with me on a deeper level. But most of the time, all of my sayings and phrases have always come from the heart. I look within and carve out my own way in life. What I have found might not be the same truth that works for everyone, we all must live our own lives, but I stick to what I believe in unless life gives me a reason to re-evaluate. When that time comes, when life wants me to look at something in a new perspective (which I am always willing to do), hopefully I am still a bendable enough that life can make its impression on me. I wouldn't want to be so set in my ways that I'm fighting against the insurmountable and making myself miserable because I won't let go of my foolish stubbornness.

"Love in your heart, honor in your works, and friendship will save the universe." Amongst all my millions of sayings and words of advice and inspiration, I have stuck to this pretty well. I doubt it will let me down.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
I usually alternate between 3 different mottos.

"The sky is falling" - Origin: A common phrase I've heard in many places. Meaning: I tend to think of the worst possible outcomes for whatever situation I'm placed in. It's just part of my paranoid/anxious nature. This way, I'm less disappointed when something unsatisfactory occurs.

"It could happen!" - Origin: Angels in the Outfield. Meaning: Anything can happen. The future is unwritten, you never know unless you try. Never stop believing.

"Let it rain" - Origin: Various. Meaning: It's a metaphor - The world needs rain to flourish and grow. Let the "rain" fall down rather than shelter yourself from it. I also love the rain so it fits with my personality.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My original motto was this:

8dc737c9fd.png

Pretty sure I wrote that back in 2013, maybe even right around the time I joined.

I used that because I believe it strongly. However, I have now rewritten it into a forum that I feel is more succinct and impactful: 

c6abb8d27b.png

This is one of the strongest and most fundamental aspects of my spirituality.

• Brohoof 2

"This is Who I Am and I'm Not Gonna Change it"

I created this motto before joining the forums. I wasn't feeling good about myself and I decided to write an idealistic punk rock song called "This is Who I Am". I ended up creating a yelling spoken word speech part that contained my personal motto in it. It eventually got stuck in my head and made me happy. This line means a lot to me because it reminds me of my identity as a person in the world and how much I like myself and how I shouldn't feel bad for who I am as a person.

• Brohoof 2

Currently I have it at "Be yourself. Unless you suck, then be someone better."  This is partly me being a sarcastic asshole, partly because I've never really cared for the whole New-Agey feel-good I'm-perfect-just-the-way-I-am crap. But that's a longer story for another time.

• Brohoof 1

2wNV18D.png

I was trying to be funny.

"What's a motto?"
"Nothing, what's a motto with you?"

I don't really have a personal motto, so I just joked around.

• Brohoof 2

This isn't the motto I have on my profile page, but it is something I've been working on. It's more like a constitution than a motto, though.

The only predestined outcome is a natural reaction.
The only source of meaning is a person's ambition.
The only proper state of being is in a mind's perception.
The only sound morality is grounded in reason.
The only universal source of reason is logic.

Through logic, I can reason.
Through reason, I expand my perception.
Through my perception, I understand my motivation.
Through my motivation, I can effect any reaction.
Logic will set me free.

As for what this all means, I should probably explain it a little.

The first line is a reference to the old idea that a pot of water will not boil unless you light the stove. For every event, such as a boiling pot of water, there was at least one action that led to that event—such as energy being transferred to the pot. For every event that will occur, it will affect future events beyond that. Everything we see is merely a chain reaction of causes and effects.

The second line follows the first. People like to say that "everything happens for a reason," and while there is a reason, that doesn't mean there is a meaning attached to the reason. A pot of water boils if it reaches the appropriate temperature and pressure. It doesn't boil because that's its meaning in life. There is no meaning in life. Any such meaning attached to any cause and effect is conceived entirely by you.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Romeo and Juliet are in a relationship. Romeo decides that he doesn't want the relationship to continue anymore, so he dumps Juliet. Does he have a reason for this? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean anything else. That's not to say that the relationship was or wasn't meant to be. There is no meant to be. There are only the ambitions each have. It's all in their heads.

The third line is a continuation of that idea. The whole meant to be thing goes along with the idea of being proper. In America, it is proper to leave a tip for the waiter/waitress when you go to a restaurant. In many other countries, it is proper not to do so. So, who defines what is proper? Who defines what is the right way of doing a certain thing? You do. What is right and wrong is your perception.

The fourth line brings that same idea into the realm of morality. If something is morally right or wrong, that is your perception. That is, however, not entirely true—as an ultimate morality can exist. Whether an action is morally right or wrong depends on the reasoning behind it. It's all about if you'd be okay with someone doing that same act to you.

Killing someone is wrong, because you know you wouldn't want someone to kill you. Donating to a food drive is a good thing to do, because if you were homeless, you would want someone to give you food. Clopping is neither right nor wrong because it has no effect on anyone else. If it brings no harm to anyone, it is not bad. If it brings no benefit to anyone, it is not good. Otherwise, rules are merely arbitrary.

The fifth line can be best summarized by this:

certainty.png

For example, all triangles have three sides. You can't say this isn't true. It is a fact that cannot be proven false. Logic (which is the foundation of mathematics) doesn't change with time. It isn't cultural. It is true and always will be.

The rest of it is pretty self-explanatory. Working backwards, it is inevitably through logic that you can free yourself of those mental sets, and gain the ability to change your life. What's to stop you from changing what is "meant to be?" The only right answer is the logical one. There's no such thing as "meant to be." It's all you. You decide how this all plays out. Will the pot of water boil, or will it not? You have the ability to set the outcome you desire, as long as you free yourself.

• Brohoof 1

Me and my close freinds are an odd bunch to say the least: we dress funny, have weird scence of humour, have strange interests, etc. We are proud of it, but others don't like it. One day, one if the popular kids started picking on my frrind because he had brought in a gas mask for a drama piece he was doing! He was calling it gay and retarded, etc. I came in and gave the best performance/speech of my life and ended it with "normal'sboring, we ain't." The kid the tried to hit me so i put him on the ground and reienstated my year six image as an aggresive sod, and i say it whenever my freinds say somthing i do is wiered so we can be reminded of that moment!

• Brohoof 1

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo

Well, other than just loving Mewtwo, I feel this quote applies to me because I'm transgender. Some people judge me for this, but it reminds me that how I was born or what I was born as doesn't matter, only how I live that life and what I do in it.

• Brohoof 1

What a unique question! Interesting that no one has ever asked it before.

Anyway, my motto comes from personal experience. I want people to know I'm there for them and that I'm no ordinary person. That, even though when I try to help others I may not aways do it very well, I help others because I care no matter how difficult it is for me to do.

"Helping others is just another way that I show that I care."

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 1

There is a such thing as true friends, they are by your side no matter what and they don't judge you over small silly things. They are just there to listen and help. But know this even true friends need support be a good friend back to them.This is what I think to create my motto :/

• Brohoof 1