Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Death of Your Childhood?

Fractured

Kinda like what Banul said. My dad told me that one day I wasn't going to want to play with legos or other toys anymore; and I didn't believe him, but then one day I just started slowly losing interest in legos and I haven't touched them in years.

But I think it really happened for me when my parents split up. Boy, that really sucked. I remember the rest of that year I felt like crap. I remember having to see a counselor 

My childhood died around 2011 when Angry Birds became popular and when traditional game handhelds such as DS and PSP were becoming less relevant. Because I grew up with kids who played a Gameboy or a DS and found it hard to accept mobile gaming. And yes Angry Birds is my least favorite game series and it literally makes me angry. But I don't want to talk about it.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

There was no media that really made me feel like my childhood died. Instead it was the sudden advent of medical issues, ones of which were among the worst of my nightmares. It caused an immediate change in my attitude, naturally... Because although I can't say I had no problems, my life was so carefree before then. So it is right there where I say my childhood ended, and it was ironically during my 18th year.

That's not to say that I'm *really* mature, though. It's complicated... My mind didn't take this all very well, and thus you could say it's not really all here in this time... And I'm still very childish. I do very few adultish things... Like, I have a job, but that's really where it stops.

I can try to bring media into this, though... I've mentioned this before, particularly anytime the topic of nostalgia gets brought up... There is one game that I played right before it happened, when my life was still going very well (and I really thought I had a bright future coming), and that would be Twilight Princess. It's a game that I loved, and still very much love. But it got caught into some very painful nostalgia for me. There was a period of around three years where I had lost the game and couldn't play it. When I got to play it again those three years later, it was very hard. Having not played it in that long really made it feel like a time capsule back to when I had a different life, and there it became painful. Playing it... Listening to the music... It all made me feel sooo nostalgic that it instantly brought me down and I almost literally felt ill.

I think it's pretty much lost that feeling for me, now... Thankfully. I mean, I could not do anything related to that game without tearing me apart inside and making me feel ill.

• Brohoof 1

There is no particular scene in the media that ended my childhood for me. Rather, inevitable psychological processes resulted in that shift, and that was accompanied by me making a lengthy series of incredibly poor choices in regard to media consumption. Over the years I ended up watching an array of terrifying and hyperviolent movies rated R (or sometimes worse). I made these choices for a variety of flawed and confused reasons, but all of this ultimately factored into my overall growth in regard to how to understand, deal with, and transcend evil in the world.

To be clear, the choices I made were poor and if I could have gone back in time I would have made them differently. That would have saved me a lot of completely unnecessary confusion, anger, and emotional pain. However, it ultimately worked out fine for me. 

I still watch movies intended for adults, but these days I try to stay away from movies that I know are going to be particularly violent, graphic, disturbing, or otherwise upsetting in some way. From my experience such things only subtract from my happiness and peace of mind, so exposing myself to them would be a self-destructive choice to make.

• Brohoof 1

I'm still a child though, lol.

I remember finding out about Santa. I always told people I never believed in him, but deep down, I really did. I was curious one day so I looked it up on the Internet to find out the real truth.

After finding out, I was pretty shocked. I tried to not believe in what the Internet was saying about Santa, but I just had to. This was about 3 years ago by the way. :P