Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wisdom teeth

Flytee

I remember my brother once had to get a tooth out, think it was a wisdom tooth. I dunno where that one is. But it was bleeding lots and he had to go to hospital. And he nearly fainted from how much blood he lost. That was at least 6 years ago I would say.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I had mine out a few years ago. 

It was pretty chill, I thought... some anesthesia, then you wake up with a bunch of gauze in your mouth, and you go home and chill and eventually you get to eat ice cream and other soft, yummy foods. But then you have to make sure to keep the holes (where your wisdom teeth were) clean until they close up, which can get a bit annoying. It's not that bad, actually. 

I'm terrified of surgery and anesthesia and such things, but it wasn't that bad for me. And I have panic disorder. So if I can do it, anyone can.  :P

• Brohoof 1

I just got my last two removed. They were really easy to get out of my mouth, actually. My cheek is a little bit sore still, but that will go away in a few days.

Also, what's up with the people going crazy when they go to the dentist? Where I live, they simply give you an injection in your mouth and you just lose the feeling of pain inside your mouth. You can still feel pressure and you're still awake, though. I like it more, because if you feel something is not right, you can always warn your dentist about it.

I had 2 removed a while back. I know that I was knocked out. It wasn't really painful to me. I just remember that the spot where the teeth were felt buzzy and overly warm for a few days. I think I only took a couple Ibuprofen (aka Motrin/Advil) the first day and didn't fill the Vicodin prescription.

My sister looked like she got bashed in the face after she had some removed though. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

I've always wondered if i still have my wisdom teeth because years ago, I had 4 teeth taken out but i can never remember fully why.

Maybe because back then, I would just eat sugar XD

Not joking, When i was little, I used to just eat plain sugar from the jar because i liked the taste

But i don't know if they were my 4 canines that were taken out or my wisdom teeth :/

Edited by Codelyoko373

I have my wisdom teeth. Never needed to have them taken out. Either they never broke through, or I have a big mouth. I do have to get two teeth next to each other extracted though.

Edited by Mr. Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I am twenty-one years old. I have had all four wisdom teeth for years now. I remember going into the dentist to get a cavity filled and them telling me to set up a time for surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed. I told him that they weren't bothering me, and that I am not going to get them removed until they bother me. He insisted on me having them removed as soon as possible, and wouldn't let it go until I actually left the dentist office. I am now convinced there is some sort of wisdom tooth conspiracy, because my wisdom teeth don't hurt me, but that brah really wanted me to get my wisdom teeth removed. He more than insisted, it almost felt like he was demanding it. Creepy shite, bros.

Well from the sounds of it I should be grateful that I don't have to have my wisdom teeth pulled out. But seriously I feel really sht for you guys and girls who have to have it pulled out. :(

I am twenty-one years old. I have had all four wisdom teeth for years now.

I'm 34, so have probably had mine longer. They were a tad uncomfortable when they first came through, but that only lasts a few days per tooth.

I am now convinced there is some sort of wisdom tooth conspiracy, because my wisdom teeth don't hurt me, but that brah really wanted me to get my wisdom teeth removed. He more than insisted, it almost felt like he was demanding it. Creepy shite, bros.

That does sound odd. I suppose the more unnecessary surgery he foists upon you, the more he gets paid.  :angry:

I wouldn't want mine removed for sure. I need all the wisdom I can get!  ;)

I have my wisdom teeth. Never needed to have them taken out. Either they never broke through, or I have a big mouth.

If you're not sure whether your wisdom teeth have come through, stick a finger in your mouth and count. A full set of adult teeth, including wisdom teeth is 32 teeth. That's 16 at the top, 16 at the bottom. (And 16 on the left, and 16 on the right of course.) If you start right at the back of your mouth and count towards the front, then if your front teeth are "number 8", you must have your wisdom teeth, but if they're "number 7", then you don't.

You probably won't get all your wisdom teeth at the same time, so don't be surprised if your front tooth on one side is number 7, and on the other is number 8.

I only had two on the right side taken out. The only thing I could feel at the time of extraction was extreme pressure. They had to break one of them to get it out, but there wasn't much pain, not even when the anesthesia wore off.

I know I have my wisdom teeth. My most recent dentist visit the dentist asked if my wisdom teeth bother me. Which they don't.

I had them preemptively removed all at once. Which means 9 (4x2 +1) shots, some drilling as well, and nasty sounds and a little pressure.

The removal went okay I think, but what followed was 12 hours of painful, bloody hell. My medication was weak, I didn't get sewed up properly;
I tried to go to sleep at the 8 hour mark, but I vomited up the blood I swallowed and my bed looked like bloody murder. And then I endured another 4 hours.

I think I bled about 1.5 liters, if I sum up the coffee mugs I filled.

I'm still going through having wisdom teeth. At first they hurt then they just stopped hurting. I guess my mouth has room.

The bad thing about my wisdom teeth was that they didn't really emerge, because they were doing a 90° battering ram kind of maneuver.

For a while I had immaculate, perfect teeth, after years of wearing braces. The wisdom teeth reversed that repair partially, making my incisors go criss-cross or displace them slightly.

So.. obviously that means there is more room, because the rest of your teeth are now sharing less space. Try to check if any of the sort happened. It doesn't have to.

• Brohoof 4

My wisdom teeth started coming in when I was about 20.  Now I know why babies cry when they are cutting teeth.  My dad was civil service, so our health insurance covered getting all 4 out in the hospital, so that is what I did. (Why waste time going back?)  Usually, you can get this done by a dentist in an office visit.

Pretty miserable day after that, but then it was OK.  The big problem is if your gums swell & your stitches cut into your gums.  I kept bleeding (well, oozing, really) for about a day, so I didn't swell & everything was fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had all mine removed.  I was awake during the extraction, which seems to freak people out when I tell them.  The surgeon gave me a choice of being knocked out, or just having a local shot of novocaine.  I chose the latter because I'm terrified of being anesthetized.  I've always been afraid of anything that takes away my mental faculties, makes me lose my sharpness, or otherwise removes my feeling of self-identity.  That's why I've never had a drink.  Being drunk would mean I'm not really me anymore.  That terrifies me.  I wanted to stay sharp, so I just had the local shot.  I wasn't fuzzy or anything, so the whole procedure was crystal clear.  It didn't hurt, but it was kinda creepy because there was so much pressure.  When he grabbed onto the teeth with the plyers, it felt my whole jaw was going to break.  There was a lot of loud cracking as well.  When the teeth broke free, it instantly made me very dizzy as well.  It felt like I was hanging upside down from the ceiling, like I had to hold onto the chair or I would fall.  Makes sense; that kind of trama anywhere around that area is going to throw the inner ear fluid completely out of whack.  It didn't hurt until a couple hours after I got home, and then it became the worst week of my life.  Lotta pain, lotta sucking on food until it was liquid.  Not fun.

Mine were all taken out in 2008, I think it was. They hadn't emerged yet. Given my extensive history of teeth problems and all of the work I've already had done, it just seemed like a good idea.

Honestly I didn't feel the wisdom teeth that much when they began impacting my gums.

The procedures aren't too bad. Then again I had my wisdom teeth removed in pairs, not altogether, so that may be altogether a different experience.

Even then I wasn't put to sleep both times. It was just local anesthetics from the needles, which were probably the worse part. The 1st time on my lower jaw, all I felt was the vibrating drill as blood splattered everywhere. It actually felt a bit fun experiencing it, but there was no pain.

The second time, my mom did it, as she's an oral surgeon and extracted my upper two wisdom teeth using dental pliers. While not painful, it was certainly more unnerving since there was a lot of moving around to extract the wisdoms properly without breaking off a root.

The most annoying part was the recovery. A day or 2 with a swollen face and you can't talk much. Oh yea plenty of Advil too and maybe some jello or ice cream. Also the 2nd time my mom tried to harvest the stem cells from my wisdom teeth (yes that's a thing now) but apparently they had too much bacteria and died off.