Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What in the world of Equestria?

SharpWit

Ok, see this globe?

post-21192-0-38314400-1411252460.png

Now see this map?

post-21192-0-33997100-1411252735_thumb.png

the mountain ranges on either don't align. so do we just look at this as a lack of thought into location, or do we have a nearly complete view of the world of mlp, and if so, what are these other places?

• Brohoof 2

I think that the globe imitates the real Earth, the one we live in.

The map of Equestria is probably located somewhere else on the globe. Or maybe the animators didn't think of making a globe that reflects the map.

• Brohoof 1

That's very cheap in my opinion.

Also, why would they make the world of the ponies similar to ours? It's true that the original ponies lived in a far away land of us, but it never stated any places.

• Brohoof 2

Hey there @@SharpWit, I've moved your thread into Show Discussion from the Debate Pit. Please ensure you post your threads in the correct forum sections in the future.

• Brohoof 2

le spoiler

hmmm I think Equestria might be on the other side of the globe

while those are just random continents and maybe even other countries.

Celestia knows what could be in them! :o  there would be whole pony countries we don't know about yet.

and if your familiar with the story of how Equestria was founded

it would also make sense for their old country to be out there somewhere.

and I'm sure not all the ponies could have been evacuated to Equestrian.

I always thought that the damage done by the windigo must have been permanent if they went ahead with the move.

imagine a country of ponies living in an icy tundra, at constant war with one another :( 

hmm thats actually kinda depressing to think about. but...

:wacko: that could be season five! returning to the old country.

sorry or the random rant  :yay: lol

• Brohoof 1

@@Lucky Star, I actually have a theory on this myself but i need to look over it again a little. it basically goes like this. the ponies used to live in what would be our europe. then the windigos freeze everything and it gets cold enough for a land or ice bridge to form between what would be our Asia and North America. the ponies cross it while most of the griffons stay. The ponies establish equestria while the griffons spread out from where they're at to where the ponies used to be.

why would they make the world of the ponies similar to ours?
oh i don't know,,, maybe because that's what it's largely based on

@@Lucky Star, I actually have a theory on this myself but i need to look over it again a little. it basically goes like this. the ponies used to live in what would be our europe. then the windigos freeze everything and it gets cold enough for a land or ice bridge to form between what would be our Asia and North America. the ponies cross it while most of the griffons stay. The ponies establish equestria while the griffons spread out from where they're at to where the ponies used to be.

oh i don't know,,, maybe because that's what it's largely based on

I guess that would make sense if they did indeed live on a world similar to ours. :)

I just can't help feeling that it should be it own world with its own geography.

everything thing in Equestria is different, from how the weather works and even how stars and planets work.

so why wouldn't the continents be any less different than everything else?

Maybe it's too much of a hassle to put that much detail? I mean, it is a flash animated cartoon. You only have so much to work with.

Wait. So if the pony world is our world...I WANT TO TIME TRAVEL.  :catface:

I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't work quite like that. what you need is to travel into another dimension which you can't do unless you punch a hole into the universe and even then you can't be certain where you'll end up.

• 7 months later...

Had a discussion in another thread about this. Is Equestria flat or round? Is the globe there just because the animators had a brain far or it really is a globe?

You sir, are good; well played. But i don't see much use in having it there, besides for decoration.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The lack of resemblance with the globe map is just plain and simple laziness.

I wouldn't expect such object to hold equal detail with the map. Similar with the books on Twilight's former library. Not all of them used to hold an impressive level of detail. It would be simply too much work for so little.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

Wow, didn't expect this to come up again. I am now of the opinion that only the map is to be taken seriously, but that the globe can still have some merit if people choose to use it, since it's still in the show. I think that the world of MLP os based off of ours, but that there are some key differences in some places regarding geography. For example, Apploosa representing texas, and the Badlands representing a dried out Gulf of Mexico maybe.

If you look at the globe upside down though, it kind of looks like a backwards North and South America, with Antartica further north, and Europe being bigger.

• 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2014 at 6:42 PM, SharpWit said:

Ok, see this globe?

post-21192-0-38314400-1411252460.png

Now see this map?

post-21192-0-33997100-1411252735_thumb.png

the mountain ranges on either don't align. so do we just look at this as a lack of thought into location, or do we have a nearly complete view of the world of mlp, and if so, what are these other places?

have you maybe considered that the terrain in the map of equestria is on the OTHER SIDE of the globe? the terrain on the globe could be the bits of equus we haven't really seen yet we wont know for sure until we get a view of equus from space

Edited by strange quark 42

23 minutes ago, strange quark 42 said:

have you maybe considered that the terrain in the map of equestria is on the OTHER SIDE of the globe? the terrain on the globe could be the bits of equus we haven't really seen yet we wont know for sure until we get a view of equus from space

That's exactly what I was considering when I made this topic. I just didn't word it very well. I no longer think that's the case though. We also have these to go off of.

Stained glass image of a globe from the old intro.

5ae35b97285cc_ThroneRoomMap.png.def68bd84a8277668e7d48b36ad06140.png\

This map that was on the cover of a book in Capper's house in the movie. It doesn't quite line up and I have no evidence for it, but I think that might be an inland sea which could be the equivalent to our Mediterranean and laybetween Griffonstone and the Dragon Lands. 

5ae35ce4b41f8_MLPCappersMapfrommovie.png.8a9dd793b3f5e253444ccd3f866cf229.png

This was the map table as of Season 5.

map_of_equestria_and_lands_beyond__s5_trailer__by_cmc__scootaloo-d8hnljz.thumb.jpg.4b224acdccf3fe6af6a33f8d8923e2c1.jpg

And here's the most recent, Season 8 episode 6 version of this table, which we see briefly for the first 2 seconds of the episode. Sorry it's not of good quality. I tried to outline land masses as best I could.

5ae36121c934c_Season8episode6table.png.0694c971690458c6ca610bf982f2a0fa.png

And of course the current official map.

5ae362104a465_MapofEquestriaasoftheMovie.thumb.jpg.644dda8759c6eb6f83b2ceb36ff252a5.jpg

It's nice to get a bigger view of the world but I kind of miss the older map where we could base it more off of our world. Also I hate Starlight's village is located. You can have areas of desert in northern areas next to the ocean if you're pinned between mountain ranges like Eastern Washington, USA and it's neighboring region tot he north, Eastern British Columbia, Canada, but the mountain ranges in those places bar you from ocean access, where as Starlight's village has an open bath to it in the east, and a large body of fresh water to the west which I assume is meant to be the equivalent of the great lakes region!

We still have our work cut out for us :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is most likely lazy designing. Remember this is a show who's target audience is supposed to be young girls so a certain level of artistic inaccuracy is to be expected. It could also be that Equestria is located on the other side of the globe. Another idea is that the globe is not meant to be taken seriously and Equestria is actually flat. Until a pony goes into space we won't know for sure.

Besides the world of MLP is a strange place where day and night can happen simultaneously and where the sun can be out at night.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, Kevin_Tang said:

For me, Equestria looks like America but the Carribbean sea is drained

I thought about that, turns out the Caribbean is really deep. This guy wrote a book called "What If?" and is most famous for his online geeky/engineering comic strip called XKCD, I highly recommend checking him out, but one of his what if scenarios is what if you put a drain at the deepest point in the Mariana trench and you can close off the Gulf of Mexico from the Atlantic after having drained 3 kilometers deep worth of water, but then you're stuck with a massive inland sea. Theoretically that could be drained, as the existing technology in MLP might be capable of constructing something like the Atlantropa Project where the Mediterranean Sea is drained, but the Gulf is such a different situations that I don't think it's be possible.

232717242_Drainoceans3kilometers.thumb.png.b472fc2d43e0466fe13c1c05d52f6424.png

Then again, I've always been bothered by Yakyakistan being visible on the map as it should be representative of Mongolia and neighboring territories. It is possible that the frozen north has recreated the land bridge between Asia and North America that we saw during the ice age, and the thicker/larger the icecaps are, the more shallow the worlds oceans so still a possibility I suppose.

Maybe the earth's plates messed up after thousands/millions of years and some magic stuff. Anyways, our earth's plates are always moving (like Pangaea broke into many continents). I won't be surprised if our earth will become like that in the future. Maybe this continent will merge into that or the other one will break apart, nobody knows.

6 hours ago, SharpWit said:

232717242_Drainoceans3kilometers.thumb.png.b472fc2d43e0466fe13c1c05d52f6424.png

It's from the ice age right? Wow, I can't even see my own country. It merged with Australia

6 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Then again, I've always been bothered by Yakyakistan being visible on the map as it should be representative of Mongolia and neighboring territories. It is possible that the frozen north has recreated the land bridge between Asia and North America that we saw during the ice age, and the thicker/larger the icecaps are, the more shallow the worlds oceans so still a possibility I suppose.

In my mind, Yakyakistan is supposed to resemble an asian country, but idk why it ended up on the north of Equestria. You know, the countries with similar names Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan.

6 hours ago, Kevin_Tang said:

It's from the ice age right? Wow, I can't even see my own country. It merged with Australia

That map is of the oceans being drained but you can see some of the same effects that resulted from the ice age only on more of an extreme level.

6 hours ago, Kevin_Tang said:

Maybe the earth's plates messed up after thousands/millions of years and some magic stuff. Anyways, our earth's plates are always moving (like Pangaea broke into many continents). I won't be surprised if our earth will become like that in the future. Maybe this continent will merge into that or the other one will break apart, nobody knows.

I looked into plate tectonics for this as well but I don't remember it matching up closely enough. A second Pangea is expected to form in roughly 250 million years.

• 1 year later...