Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about Finland?

碇 シンジン

I think the Finnish are probably one of the best people in the world. They are tough, they love their country, people and language and I am absolutely fascinated by their ancient history. The fact they have managed to weather large empires to this day without being completely absorbed is magnificent. Also, total respect for the thrashing they gave the Russians during Talvisota. Finland forever~

Spoiler

Petsamo, Karjala, Salla and Viipuri back to Finland~

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I posted here before but it's been 5 years, might as well update.

I like most things about Finland. The language (though I slightly prefer Estonian, it's a bit... smoother), the food, the scenery... my current profile cover photo is Helsinki. I definitely plan on visiting someday.

There is one thing I do not like about Finland, and it's the same quip I've got with Switzerland and Austria: the mandatory military conscription for all males. I do not believe anyone should be forced into the military against their will, but Finland is one of those countries that think it is the right thing to do. Fortunately I hear their alternative civilian service program is good but I would not be satisfied until they shorten it to the same length of military service... no one should be penalized for not wishing to serve in the military IMO.

(I am not anti-people serving in the military in general (well that's a separate issue...), just forced conscription, want to clear that up)

Well, I could rant about that all day, but I won't :P

Edited by SparklingSwirls

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, skycastles said:

Finland gave us Darude and Linus Torvalds.

Nuff said.

:ButtercupLaugh:

And their products of course, Sandstorm and Linux :P

Though I am more fan of Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler. Yea, Finland is great:

12 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

Also thanks for moomin as a kid!

Yea, especially the Anime from Japan. I never read the books.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

Yea, especially the Anime from Japan. I never read the books.

Comic strips could actually be more serious. Basically the plot of the 90s animation of moomin is same but they took out some parts that were more serious to make it more suitable for family and kids, its good though. But one Example

9fe.jpg

I don't know much about Finland, but any country that can give birth to The Dudesons is a cool one in my book.

Also, from what I've heard, they have a really good education system over there.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Interesting country like Sweden, Norway, Iceland etc. I have always been interested in these countries. I don't know so much about Finland but maybe one I day I could visit :)

I don't know so much about the country, but  I think I remember the Finish Language has 15 grammatical cases and prepositions xD Not sure though

Edited by Astral Soul
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Astral Soul said:

Interesting country like Sweden, Norway, Iceland etc. I have always been interested in these countries. I don't know so much about Finland but maybe one I day I could visit :)

I don't know so much about the country, but  I think I remember the Finish Language has 15 grammatical cases and prepositions xD Not sure though

I'm kind of in the same boat as you since I know pretty much nothing about Finland other than it's probably cold up there hehe. I could do some research if I wanted to learn more though that really depends on if I feel like doing any research. :sealed:

• Brohoof 2

The first thing when I think abou Finland is this:

Besides metal music, Finland stands for me for beautiful nature and lakes. I definitelly want to visit that country someday.

Edited by IronM17

• 1 year later...