Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming PC gaming: Much harder for 3rd parties to ignore?

SaburoDaimando

Don't worry about how hard it is to build a PC! Building these days has become very straight-forward, almost like building with Lego, and if that analogy doesn't work for you there are plenty of build guides on YouTube.

Come home, brother, rise and join the battle again.

By the way, use http://pcpartpicker.com/ because you can browse through THOUSANDS of up-to-date builds, ask questions about what you'd need on the forums, and get all your build material at one time.  Not to mention you get various discounts usually, too. 

Almost all pieces you buy will come with instructions, except the fans, maybe. My Hyper 212 EVO was a **** to get on myself, so I looked up how to on YouTube and it makes a lot of sense :). Total, it took me about 3 hours to get all my parts out and assembled. If you're really unsure, you can take classes or even have it done for you at local PC shops like Microcenter. I wouldn't recommend letting someone else do it for you, though, because it will ruin the experience of doing it yourself and the pride and self-worth you get from successfully making your first build.

Don't know how to properly be safe while putting the parts together? Newegg has a video series telling you how to build. You don't have to follow verbatum, but it is very useful. Just keep in mind that you should touch the case or a grounded item before you pick up any piece as you can build static and possibly damage the components. But this isn't really a big deal as it may seem, if you just learn how to do it by habit, you forget you even do it. You could also pick up an anti-static wristband if that's your thing. Also, NEVER place your motherboard on the anti-static wrapping ;) - put it on the box itself or already be ready to insert it. 

If you want a good case that lets you install the heatsink easily after the mobo is installed and a good GPU/CPU to last you for years, PM me and I'll give you a build.

Next, a PC is indeed more powerful but it comes at a much higher cost.

Nope.. That depends on where you live and what PC we are talking about. PC's cost a little more, if not cheaper than a console. The lower game prices also make it cheaper long term. So prices are not/have not been a legit argument in a good while now.

I also heard someone talking about emulators earlier. They are indeed an advantage. Unfortunately, the way people use it means that it is illegal.

This depends on the game. Steam actually have a lot of sega genisis games and such. Emulators can be legal.

Finally, the big problem with PC gaming is downloading pirate games. Developers lose money because of that, so most of them first earn profit from their console sales and then port it to PC at a later date.

Again pirates are on consoles too, a lot as well, people just show this fact under the carpet. The pirates would definitively not buy the games from the start either. Plus it is not about sales, it depends on service. Valve provide a better service than for example the Pirate Bay, therefore Valves products fly off the shelves even though it costs moneeeey.

Cheap (and good) service destroys pirating.

Soory mate I had to point this out, I respect your opinion but some things in this discussion are either outdated/not true anymore or misconseptions.

Back on topic: Yes consoles are now less attractive, especially considering the difference between the ps3/xbox360 and ps4/xbone is very weak. Therefore consoles are not as attractive today. The plug and play era is also slowly dying with the consoles too sadly. The luxury of just throwing game discs into your console and run it forever is almost gone now.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat
  • Brohoof 2

If you know how to use your computer, you can play any game released on any console or handheld. Why be console exclusive when companies KNOW it will get on the PC somehow. So might as well cash in if you know you can

What little you did address it with... Um... I kind of actually *did* need an expensive PC to run The Sims 3. The game will lag horribly if you don't, and it is practically unplayable at that point. I would know, I've dealt with that for five years, and I wasn't going to deal with it anymore. So, no, I really don't care what else the PC has to offer gamingwise. It is not worth the trouble. I'm finally free to enjoy what PC games I do have and not worry about "I probably should have a higher-end graphics card for this..." or actually in my case just hoping that it won't fry my computer.

Oh, but it does. I researched what I needed to run The Sims 3 and all Expansion Packs properly, and in order to get that in name-brands, it would cost almost $2000. No joke. When putting together custom parts to do so... It still came out to a little over $1000.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-l40d-14-laptop-white-amd-a6-6310-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-windows-8-1-l40d-b-002/10299016.aspx?path=96a0236fecd33f073f306f2aba4ed856en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dell-dell-inspiron-15-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-silver-intel-core-i7-4510u-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-8-1-i5547-9500slv/10298307.aspx?path=715a4ba8bd3c15cd18c242ceaa3662f0en02&SearchPageIndex=1

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dell-dell-inspiron-15-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-black-intel-pentium-3558u-500gb-hdd-4gb-ram-win-8-1-fr-i3542-7000bk/10298305.aspx?path=63d7ba359dee19e72cd9b3d3c68b96d1en02&SearchPageIndex=1

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-sus-x550ca-dh71-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-i7-3537u-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-windows-8-eng-x550ca-dh71-ca/10296039.aspx?path=5083e9455156e089f8bee261dcbfed6fen02

I'm pretty sure all of these will work and are under $1000 :P

Edited by ARagY

Looked at them and the first three all had integrated video cards, while the last one didn't even specify (Yeah, not trusting that one! lol).

So, no, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work.

Why not? My integrated laptop ran BF3 on medium settings 50 FPS 

Why not? My integrated laptop ran BF3 on medium settings 50 FPS 

I've seen terrible things about integrated cards. Like very few of them can even run The Sims 3 beyond the base-game, and those that can still have a chance of having too much pressure put on them and frying the computer.

Oh, yes, right "it's just The SIms afterall". That's exactly what I was thinking when I started looking for a new computer. Unfortunately I found out that, apparently due to poor coding, the bar is set quite high.

It's sad when I have to spend so much for just The Sims, and that's why I'm not looking any further at PC gaming.

With that said, I do not know enough about the general specs to say whether some of those PCs will work or not, but half of them have cards that are known to not run The Sims 3's last two Expansion Packs perfectly.

Anyway, this is actually very off-topic. And while I do not apologize for making my initial post, I do apologize for taking this, this far...

Of course it is. I said that the games were developed FOR the consoles (not on them) and then ported on PC.
 Heh, imagine how much more advanced games would be if the opposite were true. Developing for the greatest common factor instead of the least common factor. I know that some games are like that, like Borderlands 2 and GTA V.

I totally agree with this statement.

120 % 

For reals?

But anyway, as an example, compare The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Although it's an MS-DOS exclusive from 1996, Daggerfall not only has a bigger world, but also is a much more advanced game as far as the RPG mechanics go. More armor and weapon types, more stats than just HP, Magicka and Stamina, a class system with no perks needed for extra abilities, more detailed quests and it's not a wannabe action RPG. Kinda amazes me how much games have regressed since 1998.

• Brohoof 2

So, let me put in my two bits here. I've been trying minor PC gaming, but discovered very high costs for an actual gaming PC, and my laptop lags during Slender: The Eight Pages. Not Battlefield or Call of Duty, freaking SLENDER! I have an old PC, but it's only good for its keyboard, mouse, and maybe monitor.  Plus, I'm a little intimidated at building a PC. Heck, learning programming is complicated for me!

• Brohoof 1

So, let me put in my two bits here. I've been trying minor PC gaming, but discovered very high costs for an actual gaming PC, and my laptop lags during Slender: The Eight Pages. Not Battlefield or Call of Duty, freaking SLENDER! I have an old PC, but it's only good for its keyboard, mouse, and maybe monitor.  Plus, I'm a little intimidated at building a PC. Heck, learning programming is complicated for me!

Look to Evilshy's post at page 1. He has listed plenty of links from Reddit showing you how to build a pc that's alot cheaper than you think that can satisfy you're pc gaming needs whatever the flavor you want. As Daring had said, if you gain even basic knowledge on custom building pc, it's essentially legos for how the parts fit snuggly into one certain area of a motherboard and case.

I think pretty much everything's already been said, but here's my 2c anyway. :D

I built my PC about 2 1/2 years ago for the tidy sum of about $800 ($370 of which was the GPU) and it's served me well to this day. Granted, you do need to do some research and learning on your own in order to get a nice build together on the cheap, but well worth it considering all the fantastic sales that are pretty much going on year-round.

A console like a PS4 or Wii U (both of which I have) are cheaper to get initially but the games (Nintendo, I'm looking at you) rarely drop in price so I end up spending a ton more on the games (and accessories like additional controllers, PS Plus membership, etc) that it usually ends up being more expensive than gaming on my PC. Case in point, I picked up Lightning Returns (shhh) for $14.99 and thought it was a pretty good deal, but $14.99 for a Steam game? $14.99... it's gotta be PRETTY damn good for me to be spending that kinda money.