Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you afraid to cry?

碇 シンジン

Cry  

126 users have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid to cry?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Have you cried in the last 5 years?

• Yes.
    • No.

• 2 months later...

I'm not afraid to cry. I just hate it. I get mad at myself. 

Do you think it's bad thing to cry?

Okay, here's how my brain works.... I cut other people way more slack than I do for myself. I'm much more accepting of others than I am of myself. I'm very laid back with others, but extremely strict with myself. 

I don't think it's bad for others to cry. At all. People need to get their emotions out. Expressing things like this is important. 

...unless you're me. It's bad for me to cry. I don't care at all if other people do (though I do feel awkward if people cry in front of me sometimes, 'cause I'm horrible at comforting people and I feel like I'm only gonna make things worse.. but I try). I just don't want to myself. 

What do you think about crying?

I think it's a necessary reaction. 

I always liked the whole, "Crying doesn't mean you're weak. It means you've been strong for too long," thing. Emotions are important, and everyone should be allowed to express them and be themselves, especially when going through hardship. 

Does crying make you somehow less tough?

See above answer.  :P

I don't think so. Not for other people, at least... 

Again, I set different standards for myself. Usually I come off as the sweet quiet one, but if you peek closer (which most people don't) there's a toughness to me that most people don't notice. And then there's the other stuff behind that, but good luck getting there. XP 

I always feel less tough when I do end up crying (at least when I cry in front of others, which I try really hard to never, ever do), and I hate it. 

What are your experiences with crying?

I have severe depression. That should give you a clue. 

I used to be a lot more.. emotional... when I was in high school. But I was able to hide it and make it look like everything was fine. Then in college I suddenly lost the ability, and had a few random moments where I'd start crying for absolutely NO reason and couldn't make myself stop (which was extremely annoying). 

I like to think I'm getting better at handling it again. Though I'm pretty sure I'm numbing myself to make that happen. 

But hey, as long as it's me doing the numbing and other people are allowed to cry and express their emotions, everything's a-okay in my book. 

For me, it depends.

I have absolutely nothing against crying, alone or in public. Although, I used to cry at school all the time, and everyone thought I wanted attention or something, when really, I didn't.

I'm having relationship problems with my bf of 3 years, and I just randomly burst out in tears in public and home recently. I don't care who sees it, so long as it's not family members. I really don't want them getting involved.

But there's also the situation where I feel like I have to shut my emotions off. We found out that my grandmother, who raised me, has had cancer and is in stage four. She doesn't have very long, so I feel as though this is not the time to cry in front of her. She shouldn't have to see me like that.

So, I could say, I support crying when it is needed. For me, personally, though, there are certain people I leave in the dark when it comes to my emotions.

• 1 year later...

Crying is fine. I always feel better after a good cry. It's just the body's way of purging the bad stuff. No one wants to keep all that emotion bottled up inside, that would be a bad thing. 

Cry freely, there is no shame!

• Brohoof 3

There's this one quote that said "We don't cry because we're weak, we cry because we've been strong for too long". I rarely ever cry, today my brother threw a can at my head for no reason, it did hurt quite a bit, but all that came out were reflex tears. But something that comes with being a strong individual like me, is crying over smaller things after getting tired from not letting your feelings out in the past, one time my brother just kicked me, and that was enough to set me off after all the "tough guy" I was in the past, but when I do cry I'm not ashamed of it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I used to cry a lot. I'm not afraid to cry. Now I'm on anti-depressants I don't really cry much now. In a weird way I wish I did cry more, it makes me feel better after I stop. I find it a little difficult to cry now. I cried a little yesterday watching Eastenders (a British soap opera) :P I don't normally cry watching sad TV shows/films.

Edited by Kayleigh

I'm not afraid of crying but I try to not crying in public place when so many people can see me crying. It's kinda embarassing for me but when I feel very sad tears just going out. 

I have a hard time crying, and it pisses me off. It's not because of not having feeling, but because I feel too much, I have become rather numb to it. I wanna cry, but I can't, and I NEED to cry, with my parents with 1.5 months of passing away..... ugh

• Brohoof 1

Emotions are a vital part of any person's emotional security, and expressing those emotions are also very healthy. In fact, not expressing those emotions can lead to physical health problems later down the road. This includes all of the emotions though. Anger, sadness, etc all play an important role in our development and ability to process. When upset, we become more aware of inequalities. Obviously that might not be great in releasing your upset, but it's a pretty major social check.

When you cry, you release an enormous buildup of energy. It can be your body's way of telling people that you're in need of help or that there's something you need to deal with. Other than this though, your tears also contain an amount of stress hormones and toxins, so crying can effectively expel some that. People with anxiety are more likely to need to cry more frequently because of this, and people who are very empathetic are also more prone. In short, crying in general is more of a good thing than a bad thing.

I think crying is something completely normal, as with other Emotions.

I cry a lot, when watching sad or emotional scenes in Movies or Series. And sometimes i cry, when im just sad.

I try to not do that, when im in school, but otherwise while watching something together with someone, im not afraid to cry a little bit or to tear up a little.

Even my Father said, he cried, while watching the Movie The Patriot, ( no idea if thats the correct english title though ) by one specific scene.

I think crying is just normal.

I used to be...Then I learned I was doing more favors for my mental health when I let it out rather than when I keep it in...Problem is people feel I am too sensitive but......Well, don't underestimate me.

Usually when I watch a sad video or listen to a sad song, then I'm not afraid to cry. When out in public or in work when I get stressed out I am afraid to cry in front of others. This is because it feels embarrassing and I don't want to make a big deal in front of other people if something is wrong.

I used to be...Then I learned I was doing more favors for my mental health when I let it out rather than when I keep it in...Problem is people feel I am too sensitive but......Well, don't underestimate me.

And emotional tears contain stress hormones, so you're literally takong stress out of you by crying.
  • Brohoof 1

I hate crying in public, it's really embarrassing, but if I'm alone then I cry A LOT! XD It's a good way to get things off your chest! I don't mind crying as long as I'm alone.

Usually not, but today I have been. I've been told that crying is "wrong" and "weak" when I cried today and that I just cry because I pity myself, which is completely false. I cry because I need to vent by crying or if I have a good reason to, not out of pity for myself, but so I was told. 
Crying is NOT weak, it's a sign of that you dare to be honest with yourself and a way to vent out everything bottled up inside of you. Crying is not specified for any specific pronoun and it's important to do it once in a while to stay healthy.

While i don't see nothing wrong with crying, i am very afraid of doing it in front of other people and i always feel very ashamed when it happens.  :(

I usually cry when i am alone.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Well, I'm one of those people who cries on the inside...and I never cry in front of people. It just makes me feel weird. :unsure: Which can make me seem emotionless...I'm really not though, I swear. :laugh:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

On 9/22/2014 at 10:12 AM, Odyssey said:

I'm very much afraid to cry. It doesn't help that I actually cry a lot. So yeah, that also means that I haven't cried in the last 5 years.

I don't think crying is a bad thing, however. It's a good way to let go of your frustrations and thoughts, much better than anger. Crying doesn't make you less tough, that's just a silly stereotype that needs to fade out of existence.

My experiences with crying doesn't end well, unfortunately. No one comes up to comfort me, people tell me to toughen up and whatnot. I know this sounds rather idealistic, but I personally put feelings first rather than logic. It doesn't work most of the time, but I do that since I'm a really sensitive person in real life.

First part is still true unfortunately. Second part is kind-of sort-of true I guess, at least it's okay to cry in private. Third part isn't true anymore, nowadays I put logic over feelings and I do my best to put my feelings aside when I feel hurt.