Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My installation of GIMP is completely destroyed

Wind Chaser

I installed a bad font for GIMP that caused irreparable damage to GIMP for me. It is no longer able to start, crashing while loading fonts. Deleting the user profile and deleting the offending font does nothing to solve the problem.

The next available solution is to install Fontconfig, however there is absolutely zero understandable documentation on how to install a new version of Fontconfig to the program, most queries on this that I've seen have been completely dodged. I'd like to ask if anyone knows how to install Fontconfig to repair GIMP.

What OS do you have? I might be able to help if you are using a debian linux. You could just uninstall and re-install it....if GIMP keeps crashing, uninstalling is the best thing for your computer because otherwise it will just take up space.

What OS do you have? I might be able to help if you are using a debian linux. You could just uninstall and re-install it....if GIMP keeps crashing, uninstalling is the best thing for your computer because otherwise it will just take up space.

Thank you, I'm using Windows 8. I just got GIMP working again last night...turns out it took a bit longer to load the fonts after I made a change to the library.

Glad it's working again. Although you may want to clean up your computer to make it run faster....

It's a brand new computer, only activated a week ago. Installing the font somehow caused it to completely crash, and uninstalling it caused it to take a long time to scan the library. What sucks is that I probably won't be able to install any new fonts on this thing.

sounds like a conflict in the programming. You should see if GIMP would work within your system requirements. Putting addon's on will have even more system requirements depending on what you are doing....GIMP has proven to be a lot more finicky than Photoshop, but that's what you get when you mix open source and Windows(/Mac)...it can even be finicky with Linux.

When I bought my computer 7 years ago, without ever going on the internet (didn't have it), everything was immensely slow (like Word)  I found out my computer had over 5000 malware and virus'....in other words, it came with it (bought it new from Best Buy)....had a hard time getting rid of all of it. Went linux and never turned back...

http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-developer/16018-gimp-system-requirements