Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Country Colt and City Filly (not a romance)

Rainbow Eclipse

(THIS is the one we want, pwease don't delete)

OOC: http://mlpforums.com/topic/110805-country-colt-and-city-filly-not-a-romance-ooc/

After a series of train rides longer than one of Scribblegroove's legs, Anala was finally in Sarsaparilla Springs. It was qute unlike any place she had been to before. It was a hot, dry place, and peaches, tomatoes, and peppers grew on tree and plants, and a bunch of ponies were making their way somewhere.

Anala examined the tour guide leaflet. Her eyes fixated on a part that mentioned ponies enjoyed visiting a river on a hot day. 'That must be where they're off to.' Anala had packed her swimsuit and bikini, but wasn't sure if she'd need them.

At last, a house came into view, which she knew to be Blaze's. She had opted not to tell him she would be coming, as she wanted to give him a pleasant surprise.

She knocked on the door.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

Blaze worked slowly in the heat of the morning. It could be intolerable to work the large herbal mortar-and-pestle, and even worse on a scorcher like today, so he took it easy. After all his adventurey, he was happy to be home and showing of all his new found knowledge of taste and flavor, making himself out to be the town maven.

There was a knock at the front door, oddly enough. Blaze looked up from the pestle, curious at who would visit the family without just walking straight in.
"Coming!" He called. He opener the door and nearly fell backwards with surprise when he saw who greeted him. There on the stoop was Anala the earth pony, that stalwart filly he had met some months ago when he was shrunk down to the size of a mouse. Blaze was so taken aback he could hardly speak.

@@Blue,

"Not who you were expecting, Stutter-Boy?" said Anala. She had applied that nickname to Blaze when she was mad at him for that whole drama with the magnifying glass. "Hey, it's fine. I'm not here to beat you up."

"So, how are things at home now that you can once again safely brew cider without falling in?" she asked, eager to chat with him.

"Uhbhg-- Good! Hi!" Blaze blubbered. "It's been a while Anala. Yup, I'm back in the family buisness. I'm near like a sage around here because of all the stuff I learned about drink-making. Here, come on inside." Blaze gestured welcome to her, inviting her to the store-front first room of the house. He gave a nudge with his leg to a potted plant beside the front door that was siting in the way of the house's front sign: "SUGARROOT & SONS Fine Confectioners and Milkshakes".

As he led Anala in, he walked around to behind a counter, and procured a tall thin glass and filled it with a soda drink that was colored a vehemently thick dark burgundy with white foam. "Now before you say another thing, I need you to try this beetroot-raspberry punch and tell me what you think. Don't hold back." He set it down on the counter in front of him, set before one of the shop's stools.

Edited by Blue

@@Blue,

'What could that adventure have taught him about drink-making?' Nevertheless, Anala followed Blaze inside, eager to get to know this quaint town and what life was like for this stallion. He was such a kind pony. Even though his size had been temporarily reduced on their previous adventure, his heart was as big as ever.

"Thanks," she said as Blaze gave her a glass filled with a liquid redder than the sky she always saw at the end of a usual day of shooting.

She sipped it, causing her face to contort a little, as she was not used to this peculiar new taste. However, this, by no means, meant she didn't like it. It was... well, she wasn't sure how to describe it, other than that it tasted good.

"That's pretty good!" she concluded, not noticing the foam around her mouth. It humourously looked like a beard and moustache.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Blaze smirked at Anala's foam-'stache, but he still kept a bit of reserve in his expression.

"It's an experiment to be sure, but Old Mister Pawducket already tried it, and he said it was good. The fore-taste needs work (it's a bit grainy), but the aftertaste he said was like drinking an entire pie. I think I need to tone it down, smooth it out so it doesn't come all at once. I'm waiting for your face when the real flavor hits."

And it did. As Anala reacted, Blaze exhaled his mirth in a rhythm-less chuckle, before continuing. "Like I said, it needs work. I don't think I ever mentioned it before, but Ponyville was just one place I lived, so I didn't learn drink-making there alone. Or while being shrunk, for that matter."

Edited by Blue

@@Blue,

"Huh? What are you-" Before Anala could finish, she began to involuntarily shape her face in a variety of awkward expressions. The overload of flavour was intense, and felt like it belonged in ten pies. Perhaps even more.

When she finished having a face that looked like she was trying to have her first baby, she nodded. "You know, 'drinking an entire pie' at first sounded like a good description, but when I experienced it... you're right, this definitely needs smoothing out."

In an effort not to hurt Blaze, she added, "Sorry, big guy. Just offering constructive criticism. And hey, the aftertaste was strong, but still tasty, nonetheless."

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Being shrunk didn't teach me anything about drink-making. All my adventures around Equestria did that. I learned a lot about mixing and flavor from the Cake family while I was in Ponyville." Blaze smiled as he spoke, and poured himself a much more regular-looking brown rootbeer. He reached into a glass case and pulled out some vanilla wafers and put them on a plate inbetween Anala and himself on the counter. "(Don't worry, the snack's on me.) Being back home, it's just been the grist-grind of getting back in the swing of things, catching up with friends and family," he waved at a couple passing by in front of the shop. "..Trying not to get caught up in how easy it is to impress folks around here that've never been outside of town. Sarsaparilla Springs isn't much of an out-and-abroad place, if you didn't guess." Blaze dipped one of the wafers in his soft drink and took a bite. "How about you? What sort of misadventures has Anala the Brave fallen into in the short time since we shared an infirmity?"

@@Blue,

Anala took one of the wafers and chowed down. "It's very good," she said through her mouthful. As much of a brash pony as she was, she did usually have some table manners, but she had seemingly forgotten about them now. She was simply absorbed in hanging out with Blaze, the pony held responsible for their perilous and exhilarating adventure.

"How about you? What sort of misadventures has Anala the Brave fallen into in the short time since we shared an infirmity?"

"Well, as luck would have it, I bumped into Kay and Scribble again!" she exclaimed. "At a coffee shop. And it goes without saying, we hung out for a while. In fact, look at this..."

She fumbled about in her pocket, soon producing a photograph. She held it up to show Blaze the story being told on the thin slip of paper/cardboard: Anala, Kay, and Scribblegroove on a rollercoaster together. Anala's face was one of exhaustive enthusiasm, but an piece of black/very, very dark grey paper had been taped over Kay's face (onto the photograph itself, not in the actual location it was taken).

"Kay requested that I not show the look on her face to anypony," she explained. "Honestly, I almost passed out from the laughing fit that resulted from seeing it..." she said through giggles.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Kay sure was one for new experiences. I wonder if all crystal ponies are like that." Blaze pondered aloud, absent-mindedly starting to rearrange cupcakes on a stand to ensure all of them had their most perfect fruit-candies facing towards prospective customers and the front door. "That is.. she seemed like she hadn't been around in Equestria for a long time. Is that right? Or something like that."

(edited)

@@Blue,

"Heck if I know, but she sure did have some interesting stuff to offer. Just like everypony in the group," said Anala, and then started lightly humming Scribblegroove's tune for a few seconds.

"So, is it just you here?" she enquired. "Or do you live with any of your family? Or a marefriend?" To Anala, the refreshment shop layout of the small building seemed to suggest that Blaze had ponies to help him out with the business.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Or do you live with any of your family? Or a marefriend?"

Blaze hiccuped in the middle of taking a pull from his rootbeer. He choked and cleared his throat. "Oaaah nothing no yet." his voice cracked. He coughed once more before continuing, and secretly sincerely hoped he wasn't blushing and the feeling in his cheeks was something else. "We Palaminos live together like family, so I don't think it's no issue that I still live with Pops and my Mother, but uh... yeah." He fiddled with his glass, avoiding eye contact. "Mother's out on one of the fields by the lake, and I think Pops is getting some goods from the depot. You might've brushed past him on your way up from the train."

(edited)

@@Blue,

'Brushed past him on the way up from the train...' thought Anala. 'Sure, could've happened, I guess.'

"Well, what does your dad look like?" asked Anala, who would hopefully be able to vaguely remember the appearance of certain ponies on her walk to Blaze's house. "Does he have the tall stature you do?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"He's about my height, but thinner. He's also the same shade as my muzzle," described Blaze, pointing to his noise. "Except with dark brown spots on his legs and flank." his expression suddenly changed. "Wait a second-- athletic? I'm not athletic. I'm just.. big boned." he poked himself in the shoulder, which pushed in plush and was difficult to tell if it was muscle or fat. "All I know is that I eat more than the average, and I never feel like I need to work out."

Edited by Blue

(edited)

@@Blue,

Anala brooded on it for a couple of moments. "Hm... come to think of it, yeah, perhaps I did see him," she finally concluded. "He was quite a few ponies away from me, though."

"I suppose you told your family all about your adventure?" she asked. "And the friends you made? Which one of us was your favourite, if you had one?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Blaze finished his glass and put it in a metal tub on the other side of the aisle.

"I'unno.." he mumbled. "I'm not usually one for picking favorites of friends. I did tell my family all about it, though only my little sister believed me." He walked through the saloon doors beside the counter that accessed a house courtyard, behind the shopfront room. He stayed close enough to the doorframe that Anala could still hear him, and by his movement he seemed to invite her to join in seeing behind-the-shop. "She thought, that maybe the magic looking-glass was some kind of faerie trinket, made to play tricks on random passers-by. My parents thought I made the whole thing up just to rile her up."

Edited by Blue

@@Blue,

"I understand not picking favourites," said Anala, following Blaze to the area. "It doesn't seem fair on the rest of them." Anala considered that quite hypocritical, seeing as she had whispered to Kay and Kay alone that she was the archer mare's favourite.

"And as for those parents of yours," she went on. "What we need to do is, use the magnifying glass on them while they're sleeping - we'll have to figure out how to do it without waking them up - and say to their tiny selves, 'Do you believe us now?"

She pondered. "We'll need to figure out how to transport the magnifying glass without getting zapped," she commented. "It activated when you picked it up and peered through it... maybe if we tie a rope around it and drag it along?"

• 2 weeks later...

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Ha! After all we've been through, I'm perfectly happy never wanting to see that thing again. After the train, and the creek, and the dog... sheesh. What an ordeal."

Blaze picked up a tub and doused himself with water. "Wsshhhooo!" he puffed through tightened lips. After dripping for a moment, he wandered back inside the shop. "It's only gonna get hotter this afternoon. Want to head down to the river?"

(edited)

@@Blue,

"Sounds like a plan!" said Anala, eager to test out the river. She opened up her bag and took out her swimsuit and rubber ring. She went into another room and, a few minutes later came out wearing her swimsuit and holding an inflated rubber ring.

"It is getting pretty hot," she commented, wiping sweat from her forehead.