Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Attacked for Wearing a Pony Shirt

Moved to Elsewhere

The article you posted is from Boise. This happened in NYC to a guy from Wales.

Good eyes, didn't see that on my first viewing of that story for some reason.

But Nuke has a point about the age of the pictures as well. Really all this means is that the story is even more in question now than before. A guy obviously got hurt, but it's not clear what really happened.

• Brohoof 1

From what I can tell, this is a fake story. Someone commented on the Imgur album stating that he is the person in the photos. He has the same pictures in his Imgur gallery, only posted 24 hours before the ones Equestria Daily linked to. He also has a link to an article in his local paper saying that the incident was a random mugging that actually took place in Boise. There's no mention of it having anything to do with MLP.

Here's his Imgur: http://imgur.com/user/themeec

and here's the article in the Idaho paper: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/22/3389199/boise-police-investigating-9th.html?sp=/99/101/102/

I think EqD might have jumped the gun by posting this. 

Edited by Simeon Leonard
  • Brohoof 1

and here's the article in the Idaho paper: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/22/3389199/boise-police-investigating-9th.html?sp=/99/101/102/

I think EqD might have jumped the gun by posting this. 

You posted the same link I did, but now that I think about it, what is there proving the guy was in New York when he got jumped? Or that he's from Wales?

This story just sounds fishy to me.

Ok ya, you guys are right, I read that post wrong. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and call this bullshit. No brony takes a selfie while not wearing an MLP shirt, or having merch in the background, when he's making a point about what he was assaulted for.

• Brohoof 2

You posted the same link I did, but now that I think about it, what is there proving the guy was in New York when he got jumped? Or that he's from Wales?   This story just sounds fishy to me.

I think we were typing at the same time :lol:  I agree, it sounds totally fishy. I mean, when did it supposedly happen? Are there even any cons going on in NYC right now? Big Apple Ponycon is the most recent NYC con I know of and that was awhile ago, wasn't it? Why is this only coming to light now? It doesn't add up. 

• Brohoof 1

Apparently the guy was two miles from JFK...that says it right there. I wouldn't even go there as I am (with zero pony merch).

It's fucked up, but this guy was in a place where the worst possible dregs of humanity live, and even if I love a certain thing, I would be careful about what I wear there. I don't want them to win, but I don't even want to give them a chance to begin with.

EDIT: Of course it was fake. No one would walk or ride a train into the ghetto with a pony shirt on.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Glad to hear they clarified that. EqD has a pretty good track record overall, especially considering how much material they have to filter, but with a story as sensational as this one I wish they would have vetted it more carefully.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for posting this, didn't see that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Equestria Daily, but they are good at doing retractions when something is proven false.

No problem, I'm more happy that themeec managed to clear this up before it could blow over to something far bigger.

• Brohoof 1

So if this story was true...would it make you guys think twice about wearing pony stuff in public? I usually don't wear my pony shirts except at conventions and meetups, but it's not so much that I'm afraid of being beaten up as I just don't want to deal with stupid people who might laugh or make a scene, plus I don't usually wear anything with logos or images regardless of if it's pony. I just prefer a plain style. Still, I don't think I would be afraid to wear pony stuff like in Baltimore when I'm at Bronycon. There's always a danger of being beaten up but what are you gonna do? Be afraid all the time? No thanks. If I get beaten up, I get beaten up. It'll probably suck but oh well. Can't let the haters win.

• Brohoof 1

So if this story was true...would it make you guys think twice about wearing pony stuff in public? I usually don't wear my pony shirts except at conventions and meetups, but it's not so much that I'm afraid of being beaten up as I just don't want to deal with stupid people who might laugh or make a scene, plus I don't usually wear anything with logos or images regardless of if it's pony. I just prefer a plain style. Still, I don't think I would be afraid to wear pony stuff like in Baltimore when I'm at Bronycon. There's always a danger of being beaten up but what are you gonna do? Be afraid all the time? No thanks. If I get beaten up, I get beaten up. It'll probably suck but oh well. Can't let the haters win.

I had a pleasant experience speaking with another person at a restaurant when he saw my brony shirt. One possible bad experience out of countless of times that were good shouldn't deter people from expressing themselves. Course this is assuming that story is true.

• Brohoof 1

It's messed up that a man got beat up, and even twice as messed up that someone stole his image and tried to use his misfortune as a sorry attempt to gain publicity. Two crimes were committed here, and both must pay.

Even if this were to be real, with my knowledge of New York City, the neighborhoods within a two-mile radius (a measure we don't normally use in this city, mind you) of JFK are notoriously desolate ghettos where wannabe thugs will do anything for a quick hit. Brony or no Brony, I'd take care in knowing where the hell I was going, lest I end up dead for some gangbanger's personal greed. No one would be stupid enough to even pick a place like that to get lost.

• Brohoof 1

It's messed up that a man got beat up, and even twice as messed up that someone stole his image and tried to use his misfortune as a sorry attempt to gain publicity. Two crimes were committed here, and both must pay.

Even if this were to be real, with my knowledge of New York City, the neighborhoods within a two-mile radius (a measure we don't normally use in this city, mind you) of JFK are notoriously desolate ghettos where wannabe thugs will do anything for a quick hit. Brony or no Brony, I'd take care in knowing where the hell I was going, lest I end up dead for some gangbanger's personal greed. No one would be stupid enough to even pick a place like that to get lost.

From what i gather he genuinely was from out of town and technically lost so the situation was real. The brony story was fake, and yeah, it's like shit Tyrone, get it together.

Now even though this was debunked I hope someone tries it on me just so I can get some of my fustrations out lol.

I found a 1" wrench in my tool box today. Fancy that. I can carry a tool around to fix things that are broken. Never know when a femur or tibia are in disrepair.

• Brohoof 2