Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A simple knowledge test about the undead.

Gatekeeper Giggle

Undead Test  

29 users have voted

1. 1. What Is a Zombie?

• I think it goes on toast?
    • Some poor person who's had his soul stolen.
    • A corpse animated via magic.
    • Prey.
  2. 2. What is a Ghoul?

• One of those floating things in minecraft that shoots fireballs.
    • A villain from batman?
    • An undead specifically created by a Necromancer.
    • A body reanimated with full mental capability intact.
  3. 3. What is a Cadaverous One?

• I don't even know what Cadaverous means!
    • An undead that has a soul.
    • A type of undead only found in graveyards.
  4. 4. What is a Reverent?

• Some type of priest.
    • A mindless undead that has a soul.
    • A corpse possessed by a demon.
    • Marmalade.
  5. 5. What is a Necromancer?

• Necromancers aren't undead silly!
    • A powerful undead capable of casting spells.
    • Twilight Sparkle!
    • I don't know, I just kill 'em.
  6. 6. What is a Death Knight?

• They aren't undead either, ya moron!
    • A powerful champion of the undead.
    • A necromancer with cooler armor.
    • Your mom.
  7. 7. What is a Vampire?

• Well, whatever they are, it sure as hell don't sparkle!
    • It's more of a disease then a type of undead.
    • It varies depending on who you're talking to.
    • Sexy.
  8. 8. What is a Lich?

• A corpse possessed by a demon.
    • A disgusting perversion of nature.
    • A powerful undead that can cast spells.
    • Immortal.
  9. 9. Bonus Question! What is a Fext?

• A font in Microsoft Word?
    • A mindless undead that has no body.
    • An undead that has a fully intact mind, body, and soul.

Being undead myself, I'm curious to see just how much the average brony knows about my kind. Remember, this is for posterity, so answer truthfully.  

DISCLAIMER: Many ponies use the same terms differently, and that's okay. This test was based on the definitions as I understand them.    

Below are the answers; don't look at them until after you've done the quiz, ya cheaters!

What is a Zombie?
1. Are you even trying!?
2. Nope, that's a ghast.
3. Correct!
4. Fine, but you only get a half point for this answer!
What is a Ghoul?
1. That's known as a ghast.
2. That's Ra's al ghul.
3. No, they can be created by natural causes.
4. Correct!
What is a Cadaverous One?
1. Correct!
2. Just Google it!
3. Nope.
4. Not true.
What is a Reverent?
1. Ha! Fooled you!
2. Correct!
3. Correct!
4. I think you're confused...
What is a Necromancer?
1. Correct!
2. They are not undead!
3. Debatable. You only get a half point.
4. You jerk! Just for that, you only get a half point!
What is a Death Knight?
1. Some Death Knights are undead.
2. Correct!
3. Correct!
4. WRONG WRONG WRONG!
What is a Vampire?
1. Damn straight!
2. Sort of, but you only get a half point.
3. Correct!
4. Meh. You get a half point.
What is a Lich?
1. No.
2. You jerk! Negative one point!
3. Correct!
4. I wish, but no.
What is a Fext?
1. Ha! No.
2. Well... sorta. You get a half point.
3. No!
4. Correct!

Rankings: 

0-3 correct: Zombie Bait. Good luck surviving the zombie apocalypse! Or any apocalypse, for that matter.

4-6 correct: Average. About where I expect you to be.

7-9 correct: Necromancer's Apprentice. Any Necromancer worth their salt would happily take you on as an apprentice!   

• Brohoof 2

A zombie in the traditional sense is someone who's had their soul stolen and their body is under someone else's control (the term comes from voodoo rituals).  It is NOT a reanimated corpse; it has only been used in that sense since some time AFTER "Night of the Living Dead".  In fact, in "Night of the Living Dead", they referred to the creatures as "ghouls", which is the more accurate term for what we now call "zombies".

I've never heard the term "Reverent" before, so I thought you might have meant "Revenant", which is a specific type of undead.  If someone comes back to life in order to right some wrong against them (usually this means revenge against someone responsible for their death), that's a revenant.  A revenant cannot die until they've succeeded in their goal.  (If you want to get right down to it, Jason Vorhees from the Friday the 13th series is technically a revenant, although since he wants revenge on EVERY teenager in existence, he pretty much can never die.)

And a Lich isn't an undead that casts magic; that's far too broad.  A Lich is specifically a wizard who has sealed their soul away in a phylactery, turning themself into an immortal undead.  (For Harry Potter fans, that's essentially what Voldemort was, except that he split his soul multiple times to store it in multiple objects.)

• Brohoof 3

9/9. I even got the dual answers, (though I couldn't mark as such). Of course, you were too broad for some.

Video games do change things, but that is artistic license for you.

A question for you, ; What is the original meaning of the term Necromancy?

A zombie in the traditional sense is someone who's had their soul stolen and their body is under someone else's control (the term comes from voodoo rituals).  It is NOT a reanimated corpse; it has only been used in that sense since some time AFTER "Night of the Living Dead".  In fact, in "Night of the Living Dead", they referred to the creatures as "ghouls", which is the more accurate term for what we now call "zombies".

Did you read the disclaimer? Many necromancers have had disagreements over the years as to exactly which term means what. In fact it's a mark of a necromancer's power as to how many people he can get to agree with his specific set of terminology. I really hope that one day we'll all have a unified set of terms, but as of now, It's mostly just a matter of opinion.    

I've never heard the term "Reverent" before, so I thought you might have meant "Revenant", which is a specific type of undead.  If someone comes back to life in order to right some wrong against them (usually this means revenge against someone responsible for their death), that's a revenant.  A revenant cannot die until they've succeeded in their goal.  (If you want to get right down to it, Jason Vorhees from the Friday the 13th series is technically a revenant, although since he wants revenge on EVERY teenager in existence, he pretty much can never die.)

Curse my terrible spelling! You're right it is spelled Revenant! That's the last time I trust the spell checker!

And a Lich isn't an undead that casts magic; that's far too broad.  A Lich is specifically a wizard who has sealed their soul away in a phylactery, turning themself into an immortal undead.  (For Harry Potter fans, that's essentially what Voldemort was, except that he split his soul multiple times to store it in multiple objects.)

You are of course correct, but I felt that all that was to complex for the average person. But although a lich does not age, they can be killed if you destroyed their phylactery. (For Harry Potter Fans, it's impossible to have more then one phylactery, as souls simply can't be divided into pieces without causing them irreparable damage. Sorry!)     

9/9. I even got the dual answers, (though I couldn't mark as such). Of course, you were too broad for some.

Video games do change things, but that is artistic license for you.

A question for you, ; What is the original meaning of the term Necromancy?

It used to refer to someone who conjured up the spirits of dead people to ask them questions, but as people began to discover they could do more with the dead then simply talk to them, the term began to change. 

Edited by Stormgiggle
  • Brohoof 1

Supernatural knowledge, don't fail me now!

Zombies are undead raised by greek magic, Samhain, death itself, necromancers, witches, etc. They will first behave as normal for the first few days before going cannibalistic and being generally insane. The best way to kill a zombie is to stake it in its coffin. You can also kill a zombie by beheading them and/or destroying their head.

Ghouls live in graveyards and feed off of the flesh of the dead. Sometimes ghouls will feed off of alive humans instead of the dead. Ghouls can also take the form of any person they ate. In order to kill a ghoul, basically chop their head off and/or destroy their head, basically the same as a zombie.

A Cadaverous One is another word for an undead raised by a witch / necromancer.

A Reverent (That's what you meant, right?) is another word for a person that came back from the dead. Since it can apply to, well, everyone that came back from the dead there is really no specific way to kill a Reverent.

Necromancers are witches that specialize in reanimating the undead via blood spell. They can be killed like a regular human.

A Death Knight is basically a necromancer in wicked armor. They can also be a pretty strong undead, such as the Alpha Vampire. They can only usually be killed by an angel, their blade, or the Colt. 

Vampires are creatures that usually gather in hives, and are weak in the sunlight. They sure as hell don't sparkle! They have a second set of teeth (Their fang set) which can be accessed by rubbing on their gums, or if the vampire chooses to unsheathe it. They're immortal unless killed, then they go to Purgatory. You can turned into a vampire by blood-to-blood contact. Vampirism can be cured by a spell that can only be used if the vampire that wishes to be cured has not fed yet. Vampires have to feed off of blood to live, usually human, but some vampires go vegetarian and feed off of animals instead. Dead man's blood is poisonous to them. You can kill them via decapitation.

A Lich is like a zombie, except it's a witch that went to hell, so TECHNICALLY it's a type of demon. They can cast spells and such. They can be killed (AGAIN) by being exorcised or using a special blade. Technically, angels & their blades can kill 'em too.

A Text is another word for an undead that can think for itself, has a body, has a soul, etc. Demons technically fall under this category since they have a soul, albeit a twisted, corrupt one.

A corpse possessed by a demon is called a vessel or a meatsuit BTW

Edited by Shift

Supernatural knowledge, don't fail me now!

Zombies are undead raised by greek magic, Samhain, death itself, necromancers, witches, etc. They will first behave as normal for the first few days before going cannibalistic and being generally insane. The best way to kill a zombie is to stake it in its coffin. You can also kill a zombie by beheading them and/or destroying their head.

Ghouls live in graveyards and feed off of the flesh of the dead. Sometimes ghouls will feed off of alive humans instead of the dead. Ghouls can also take the form of any person they ate. In order to kill a ghoul, basically chop their head off and/or destroy their head, basically the same as a zombie.

A Cadaverous One is another word for an undead raised by a witch / necromancer.

A Reverent (That's what you meant, right?) is another word for a person that came back from the dead. Since it can apply to, well, everyone that came back from the dead there is really no specific way to kill a Reverent.

Necromancers are witches that specialize in reanimating the undead via blood spell. They can be killed like a regular human.

A Death Knight is basically a necromancer in wicked armor. They can also be a pretty strong undead, such as the Alpha Vampire. They can only usually be killed by an angel, their blade, or the Colt. 

Vampires are creatures that usually gather in hives, and are weak in the sunlight. They sure as hell don't sparkle! They have a second set of teeth (Their fang set) which can be accessed by rubbing on their gums, or if the vampire chooses to unsheathe it. They're immortal unless killed, then they go to Purgatory. You can turned into a vampire by blood-to-blood contact. Vampirism can be cured by a spell that can only be used if the vampire that wishes to be cured has not fed yet. Vampires have to feed off of blood to live, usually human, but some vampires go vegetarian and feed off of animals instead. Dead man's blood is poisonous to them. You can kill them via decapitation.

A Lich is like a zombie, except it's a witch that went to hell, so TECHNICALLY it's a type of demon. They can cast spells and such. They can be killed (AGAIN) by being exorcised or using a special blade. Technically, angels & their blades can kill 'em too.

A Text is another word for an undead that can think for itself, has a body, has a soul, etc. Demons technically fall under this category since they have a soul, albeit a twisted, corrupt one.

A corpse possessed by a demon is called a vessel or a meatsuit BTW

Wow, your terminology is really different from mine! I've never even heard of the word lich refer to that before! Back in ancient times I would have been forced to brutally murder you, resurrect you as an intelligent Undead under my control, and then order you to tell everyone you now agreed with my terminology; or else I'd lose all respect in the eyes of my fellow necromancers. I'm glad that nowadays we can simply agree to disagree. :)       

holy hell this was hard it actually made me think

I got them all right 9/9

surprised you didn't put any questions about ghosts were considered undead as well

I think some of these kind of depend on what universe we're talking about. 

Example: a Warcraft ghoul does not have its mind intact.

some do in the Death knights sanctuary (forgot what it was actually called haven't played in awhile) there is a ghoul who is a merchant he sells useless items though and I think there might of been one in the Undercity as well..... and there have been some cases where the Ghoul mobs would speak I forgot who and where though

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

@,

Eh, Supernatural taught me a lot of shit about the undead, so i'm just going by their terminology.