Banner by ~ Zero

When MLP generation 4 comes to a close

ManaMinori

Do you think DHX is capable of closing that chapter of MLP: FIM in a beautiful manner? Making it see as though it's not really ending, but that it's just closing for a new chapter/ generation of MLP to take place? That it won't necessarily be goodbye to our favorite ponies, but just a 'see you later'? While watching the final episode of "Free!: Eternal Summer" anime, there was a very beautiful, yet sad moment where Nagisa and Rei realized that their life goals would carry them along different paths than that of their friends, and stated crying- and if was their other friends, Makoto and Haru who reassured them that though life may separate them soon as they graduate and pursue their careers, they'll always be together, and always have their bonds of friendship connecting them on whatever path they take, and that "there won't be an end for us" (them), which I thought was extremely well done. Especially since looking at MLP, there are ponies like Rarity and Rainbow Dash, who have dreams they want to follow that they might not see fulfilled if they stay in Ponyville with their friends. Rainbow Dash with the Wonderbolts, and Rarity becoming a Canterlot elite, herself. Many times, both have sacrificed their dreams just to stick it out with their friends, but deep down, they still want to pursue those dreams, because they keep getting brought up and the ponies put in that situation where it's friends over their dreams, but I think that as Generation 4 wraps up, the ponies that want to go off and do their own thing would be able to do that, and put their career choice ahead of their friends, as Generation 4 ends, and it done tastefully, as Free! was able to touch on.

What are you guys' opinions?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

Badges

G4 won't end on Season 5. They plan to write five more seasons. Even then, a new generation means new characters. Characters from previous generations may have the same names (Applejack (G1), Twilight (G1), Pinkie Pie (G1), Rainbow Dash (G1), Rarity (G1), Spike: (G1 and G3) not sure about Fluttershy.) but they aren't the same. Different generations may take place in different worlds, have different art styles, etc. They could write Twilight Sparkle having to sacrifice herself to save Equestria and have her appear in G5. (They probably won't do that, though.) 

• Brohoof 1

G4 won't end on Season 5. They plan to write five more seasons. Even then, a new generation means new characters. Characters from previous generations may have the same names (Applejack (G1), Twilight (G1), Pinkie Pie (G1), Rainbow Dash (G1), Rarity (G1), Spike: (G1 and G3) not sure about Fluttershy.) but they aren't the same. Different generations may take place in different worlds, have different art styles, etc. They could write Twilight Sparkle having to sacrifice herself to save Equestria and have her appear in G5. (They probably won't do that, though.) 

I'm well aware that there's a lot more seasons in coming. I meant generation 4, not season 5 and onward.

Badges

Knowing modern media, and knowing big time companies like Hasbro, expect FiM to run until no more cash can be made. I'm talking like simpsons level no one ever says they liked it past season 14 and oh my god its gone on so long they are retconing seasons 1-700 why god why won't you just let it die no one watches this anymore please let the show that was once decent just die levels.

However, what I hope for is a nice little send off around the end of season 7, when they have achieved all the goals of the mane 6, and have even developed alot of the more famous background characters.

and of course it has to end with pinkie breaking the 4th wall, if only to say that they are appreciative of all the support and that though their adventures may end, they will always be with you.

• Brohoof 2

All I know about G4 ending and G5 starting (when either of those days do come) is that I won't try to compare them.

G4 is good. I like it.

I may hate G5, it may be utter garbage to me.

I don't know.

I do know that I'll give it the same chance I give any series.

3 episodes or 90 minutes, whatever comes first. If you can't make me a fan in that time limit, it's unlikely you ever will.

• Brohoof 2

Characters from previous generations may have the same names (Applejack (G1), Twilight (G1), Pinkie Pie (G1), Rainbow Dash (G1), Rarity (G1), Spike: (G1 and G3) not sure about Fluttershy.) but they aren't the same.

Sorry, I'm curious about this. As someone who has recently taken on a journey through past gens of the media for the franchise, and who has seen the entire G1 series and is partway through Pony Tales, I don't recall any characters named Rainbowdash, Pinkie Pie or Rarity in the original series. There were characters named Applejack and Twilight in Rescue at Midnight Castle, but those two and Spike are the only ones who have the same names as G4 characters. There are characters who remind me of Mane Six ponies in FiM in terms of appearance and/or personality, but name wise, there are only two ponies, and one dragon who actually have the same name. Well, there's also Tirek if you count him.

Anyways, to answer the OP, I do want a fitting ending for FiM, regardless of how long it goes on for, preferably something that ties up all the major plot points, but will show that the Mane Six and Spike will move forward in their lives well after the story ends, and maintain their friendship throughout. I at least want something better than with G1, which just ended without a formal ending.

As for what the new series will look like, I couldn't tell you. I've seen two full series so far, and am currently watching a third, and they're all as different from one another as day and night. One involves humans, lacks a coherent storyline, and is heavily influenced by classic fairytales, and a gateway to the human world is a major story element(as opposed to an excuse for a spinoff movie series). Another has ponies in their own early 90s suburban world, but is so much about anthropomorphizing the ponies that it is void of any fantasy or mythological elements, including unicorns and pegasi(only earth ponies here), and even does its best to remove as many horse like elements as possible, including terms such as colts and fillies. One has unicorns and pegasi in it, and involves ponies in their own world, while building up its own premise, and taking place in a more colonial period. Based on that data, I don't think we can truly predict what a G5 or G4.5 series would look like.

Badges

Sorry, I'm curious about this. As someone who has recently taken on a journey through past gens of the media for the franchise, and who has seen the entire G1 series and is partway through Pony Tales, I don't recall any characters named Rainbowdash, Pinkie Pie or Rarity in the original series. There were characters named Applejack and Twilight in Rescue at Midnight Castle, but those two and Spike are the only ones who have the same names as G4 characters. There are characters who remind me of Mane Six ponies in FiM in terms of appearance and/or personality, but name wise, there are only two ponies, and one dragon who actually have the same name. Well, there's also Tirek if you count him.

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity first appeared in Generation 3. 

Rainbow Dash was like Rarity but said "darling" a lot more often and had an obsession with rainbows. 

Pinkie Pie was a party pony similar to G4.

Rarity was the rainbow princess if I recall correctly. She brought in the first rainbow of the season. 

Rarity and Rainbow's personalities swapped when they became G4 characters. 

Well, Hasbro did announce the show to go on for 5 more seasons...(i think). The thing about the older generations is that they did not grab and MAINTAIN an audience. 1.5 Pony Tales is a perfect example of this in the MLP franchise....many shows suffer this plight. If DHX can keep up the quality, then go for it! But I don't think we can compare the running time of G4 to older gens...

And G4 ending....

tumblr_m89twzIc4L1r4q5hc.gif

• Brohoof 2

Who knows? There might be even more than 9 seasons.  

it wont end for a long time so im not worried

Knowing modern media, and knowing big time companies like Hasbro, expect FiM to run until no more cash can be made. I'm talking like simpsons level no one ever says they liked it past season 14 and oh my god its gone on so long they are retconing seasons 1-700 why god why won't you just let it die no one watches this anymore please let the show that was once decent just die levels.

However, what I hope for is a nice little send off around the end of season 7, when they have achieved all the goals of the mane 6, and have even developed alot of the more famous background characters.

and of course it has to end with pinkie breaking the 4th wall, if only to say that they are appreciative of all the support and that though their adventures may end, they will always be with you.

The show is incredibly popular, so I don't see it ending for another six years at least. If G5 comes around I'll give it a chance too. It could be just as good as G4.

Well, Hasbro did announce the show to go on for 5 more seasons...(i think). The thing about the older generations is that they did not grab and MAINTAIN an audience. 1.5 Pony Tales is a perfect example of this in the MLP franchise....many shows suffer this plight. If DHX can keep up the quality, then go for it! But I don't think we can compare the running time of G4 to older gens...

And G4 ending....

img-3116593-1-tumblr_m89twzIc4L1r4q5hc.g

the issue isn't how long it'll continue to go on for. Yeah, there's still a lot more seasons to get through, since Hasbro decided they wouldn't make season 3 the end of Generation 4, and renew more seasons. The question is- WHEN MLP: FIM DOES  END (because it will have to, eventually), can you see it being done in a good way, like I gave an example of in the OP?

and a penalty question since (most) you guys didn't accurately answer the first- how long do you think it'll be when FIM does end, and generation 5 comes out? A year? Five? More?

Badges

Well that question is quite subjective...in the portal of space and time. It all depends on how the subsequent seasons turn out, and we have been shown that it's not as we predict.

If they play their cards right, it'll go out good, if not, then it won't .....It's extremely hard to say what G5 will be like, cartoons are constantly changing and evolving (and digressing). It's hard to say overall what G4 will do and What G5 will be like. It's also hard to say when G4 will end.

Agreed. Well, to be fair, none of the older shows pulled in so many male viewers and viewers over the target age. I'm sure the older gens had a few fans outside the intended demographic, but nothing like FiM. Even FiM wasn't supposed to have the boom in popularity that it did. It's something no one could have predicted. There is no arguing that FiM doesn't eclipse all the MLP series that came before it in terms of popularity, so based on the data at hand it is an outlier. Whether it ends up staying an outlier(where the success of the show won't be matched by future series), or the start of a new trend(where all future series can expect a similar fanbase behind them) remains to be seen, but for the time being, it may not be accurate to try to compare FiM to past series in any sense. Runtime is just the tip of the iceberg. While statistically, it seems that .5 gen series aren't as well regarded as their previous counterparts, for all we know Hasbro can make a G4.5 series that's even better.

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity first appeared in Generation 3. 

Rainbow Dash was like Rarity but said "darling" a lot more often and had an obsession with rainbows. 

Pinkie Pie was a party pony similar to G4.

Rarity was the rainbow princess if I recall correctly. She brought in the first rainbow of the season. 

Rarity and Rainbow's personalities swapped when they became G4 characters.

I see. In your first post you have them listed as G1 characters though. You may want to fix that.;) I will know all about G3 soon enough, once I reach that point in my MLP journey.
  • Brohoof 1

Badges

Considering how well Season 4 ended after 3 seasons not ending the greatest way(imho), I think the showrunners will do a damn good job of ending the show when it comes to that. I just hope that for whatever amount of seasons MLP:FiM ends up running for, that hopefully it won't ever feel like it's overstaying it's welcome, dragging on for too long and whatnot. so far they've been doing fine at least though. :)

I think FiM will well and truly end, and I have 100% total confidence in DHX to make the finale really satisfying and wonderful.  Heck, we've already had multiple episodes that I would have been satisfied as series finales; Magical Mystery Cure and Twilight's Kingdom, at least.  The only thing I might be left wanting over is "whether it's the ending Faust would have had planned" but with any luck they'd consult her for ideas when the series is finally coming to a close -- even without her input whatsoever, though, I still think it'd be really great.

Now, for G5 I firmly believe Hasbro's gonna want to do everything in their power to go for something that'll be as successful universally as G4, and I'd say we'll see re-imaginings of certain characters or some very similar characters, but not the exact same group or in the same universe even.  It'll be all new.

Now, for G5 I firmly believe Hasbro's gonna want to do everything in their power to go for something that'll be as successful universally as G4, and I'd say we'll see re-imaginings of certain characters or some very similar characters, but not the exact same group or in the same universe even.  It'll be all new.

The effect Bronies will have on the new series intrigues me most of all. It is evident that we have had at least some effect on FiM. How much is open to speculation, but there are certain events, such as the season 4 finale that are most likely pandering to the Brony crowd. A whole new series with new characters who may or may not have the same name as previous characters, but which is ultimately different could be built from the ground up to at least acknowledge Bronies. On the other hand, it is doubtful that the target demographic of little girls will be left out, so we can't expect anything too out there in terms of content. The mane cast will still most likely consist entirely of fillies too.

Badges

Wait a second...

G4 WILL...

END?!?!

gasp.gif

I actually already it was ending, its not too much of a shocker to me. :)

As to what to will happen when it will ends...

Well, DHX should consult the Pony lord (aka Lauren Faust) and ask her four ideas for the finale. Then once its finished, wait about half a year, then make an absolutely fantastic G5/G4.5

I mean, why would they end G4, then never show ponykind on TV again? Most of the Hub Networks viewers would leave, and there would be some p!*@ed off people complaining. So its best to not cancel it.

I hope they could make a meaningful end to the series. And tbh if the season 2 or season 4 endings were the series finale (not season 3 because twilight doesnt have her "kingdom" yet) then I'd actually be content.

And I hope I'm doing the right thing in trusting them with a good series ending and trusting that G5 be as good as G4. I don't think they're dumb enough to want to change it after all this went down.

G4 won't end so quickly. It takes a lot of work to create a new pony world, new batch of characters, and to sell that to the public. G4 has the backing of several celebrities, Hasbro would be dumb to throw away the celebrities.

At this point, G4 is a sure safe bet while G5 seems more risky.

Badges