Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia should die.

Phosphorous

Firstly i do agree that Celestia dying would be interesting and add some development to the show, But as some people have already said dying is a huge matter and would be a bit much for a show mostly targeted towards children. Now there are multiple ways though that they could have Her "dissapear" and not be there for a while

So, just give us an established character and all of a sudden have her disappear from the entire series without an explanation or anything? :confused:

I can't say I agree with that call, m8

• Brohoof 4

Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. Noes. 

And... http://rs71.pbsrc.com/albums/i140/shortpenguin/Gifs/Movies/Austin%20Powers/tumblr_lxlu7fNUPb1r4lib8o1_500_zpsfb27b4da.gif~c200

I love that pretty princess.  :proud:

• Brohoof 6

So, just give us an established character and all of a sudden have her disappear from the entire series without an explanation or anything? :confused:

I can't say I agree with that call, m8

Well i do understand you but what i mean is if you make a character dissapear, a reason would have to follow. And that reason might have some interesting plot tied into it which could tie in to the season finale or premier of the next

• Brohoof 1

Besides, I really think that suggesting that Celestia isn't important is an ignorance. And this topic suggests it. She ruled Equestria alone for thousand years. She helped Twilight find out who she is. She is a mother figure for her. She was raising the sun for years (and for some time also the moon). She made some hard decisions to keep her subjects safe. She helped Main 6 understand their Elements. She helped Twilight and Cadance become princesses. And so on! Is it nothing? No, killing Clestia off won't make her more interesting. There was once an topic that said the same thing about Applejack. Killing the characters off ISN'T a way to make them more interesting. There're much better ways to make her - or any character - more interesting. Like telling us more about her past. About the days when she ruled Equestria alone. About her relationship with Discord. About her dreams. Goals. Childhood. I see absolutely no good reason that would lead me to the conclusion that it'd be better if Celestia was dead. No reason that would lead anyone to that conclusion. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 6

I agree.  Because Celestia is essentially a useless character, and it would also open up a lot of interesting opportunities for Luna.  She could finally get some development with the grieving, and of course she would take over as unofficial Queen and top dog.  The transition would be a really interesting series of episodes.

I don't think it will actually happen, though.  Sadly.

Um.. Does Luna really need that type of development? Jeez, they rule alongside each other. We can get an episode dedicated to them both and get character development for both princesses.

And seriously? She's not useless. Celestia is basically Twilight's Dumbledore or Gandalf.

• Brohoof 8

Celestia should go away for a while but not die, I think death is a little extreme, maybe she gets sick and Twilight & company go on a two-episode journey(a long trip for such fluffy marshmellows, I know) to find a cure for her. Or maybe she just disappears in the first episode of a season and shows up again in the finale where it's revealed she was running around singing Hakuna Matata with a mule and a zebra for the whole season.

• Brohoof 1

I want this happen, simply to see the fandom collectively light itself on fire and explode in a whirlwind of drama. It would be hilarious. Imagine the threads that would pop up.

On a more serious note, it's actually a pretty interesting idea. Have Celestia save Twilight from some spell that causes her to turn corrupt. Twilight has to make the decision to destroy Celestia or else the whole of Equestria will fall. Twilight blasts Celestia into a statue like Discord, and she's remembered for her heroic sacrifice on that day...Okay, maybe that's a little too much for a TV show geared towards kids, ha. Maybe they could just have Celestia move away/lose her powers and let Twilight take over for Canterlot? I'm not sure what would work.

• Brohoof 1

img-3117684-1-147892__safe_animated_hub%

Sombra would like to have a word with you. Oh wait, he can't, he's dead! I can't see them killin' off a main character tho.

nah. Sombra isn't dead. They made it look like G1 Tirek got blown up and died, too. They just teleported him into the future, because he came back in G4. That's what they did with Sombra, to, I bet.

I find the idea intriguing, but people are trying to make it what it's not meant to be.

True. It'd make an interesting fanfic, but real episode? In that cartoon? Not really.

Celestia's role in MLP is very important. Twilight is who she is mostly thanks to her. I'm all for touching the subject of death in MLP, but it needs to be done wisely. Very wisely. And killing Celestia off because she is "not interesting'', is a very bad motivation. As I said, there're kids who love Celestia. It'd be a blow for them all to suddenly get rid off her. It's not some background character that appeared once or twice, she's there from the first episode, always near, always watching Twilight and helping her uderstand who she is. The only good way to introduce death in MLP's world, in my opinion, is telling us more about Applejack's parents. Why? Because kids already know that their parents aren't here for Apple siblings. While it would be sad for them to hear that characters they used to know and love have no parents, they don't really know them, which means that they wouldn't take it as personaly, as they would take Celestia's death. 

• Brohoof 4

MLP_WHY_WOULD_YOU_POST_THAT.gif

No seriously, why? Even if her character has been shoved to the side for the last season or so, why is killing her an appropriate response? Just imagine the ramifications this would have for all involved. Picture Luna, after the two of them have been finally reunited after 1000 years apart, losing her sister permanently after only a few years back together. Picture Twilight, losing the pony she has looked up to since she was a child, her mentor, just gone. Picture the nation of Equestria upon learning that the monarch who looked over them long before their great-great-grandparents were even born is dead, never ever to return. Just imagine how inconsolable they would all be.

Even if she's not essentially vital plot wise anymore, death is a bit extreme. Because unless you come up with some contrived method, that character is never coming back. Ever.   

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 8

Celestia may not show up as much as the main characters, but she's still an important part of the show. I can guarantee that some brony tears were shed during the Season 4 premiere when people thought she had actually died during the Celestia vs. Nightmare Moon fight, and it would be pretty cruel for them to actually kill her off after such a scare ^_^ Plus she's the head princess, ruler of all Equestria, raises the sun, and must have alot on her hooves that can't just be passed down to another princess should she perish. If MLP wants to tackle death in any way, it should be with another character, because if Celestia goes it would be chaos that would take some time to sort out :( Plus Tia's awesome, not best princess, but still cool :lol:

look at all the deaths in Disney films.

It's both good and bad example. Good, because yeah, there is death in Disney movies. But MLP isn't a Disney movie. And Disney movies are very wisely done, the creators spend a lot of time making these movies good for young audience, consulting it with psychologists and adding different plots that help kids focus on the other parts of storyline other than just the death of one of the characters. In a cartoon, you don't have time to do it in the same way. Cartoons are shorter and kids get emotionaly attached to characters more easily, because they often watch cartoons for years, wait for new episodes, wonder what's going to happen next.. It's harder to make death work in a cartoon. Harder than in a movie anyway. Especially if we talk about cartoon like MLP. Of course, we have some adventure episodes in MLP, but we need to remember that it's mostly slice of life kind of cartoon. It's scary to think how much the life of ponies would change without Celestia. It just wouldn't be the same show and I get an impression that people don't really think about it, when they say that writers should kill Celestia.  

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1

If she's Celestia from The Conversion Bureau, yep have her die. Preferably by being thrown into a blackhole or a supernova.  

As for canon Celestia from the show itself, no. She's wise, compassionate, very pretty and needs more character developments. Also it's heresy for her to die and best off left for fan fiction for dealing what you suggest.

Edited by Rush

Celestia is basically Twilight's Dumbledore or Gandalf.

Not really.  Dumbledore was actively pitting himself against Voldemort, hunting down horcruxes and researching and even facing up against him and his death-eaters.  Gandalf was right alongside the Fellowship kicking orc butt and leading armies and whatnot.  Yeah, Celestia raises the sun and assigns homework, but besides that, all she's ever done is force Twilight to do the dirty work, or explain plots.  Yay.

We wouldn't really loose much if Celestia bit the big one.

P.S.  Is that the right expression?  My brain has trouble thinking.

I don't think Celestia should die. I'm not even sure how they'd show her die on the show. I mean, she couldn't get brutally attacked or anything as that would be too traumatising and I think even having her just lie there slowly dying from disease/age would be too harsh and scary to show to kids. I'm not saying kids can't deal with death, but that wouldn't be the way to do it, not in this show at least.

Instead of having her die I think the writers should try and actually do something with her. Give Celestia an episode to shine. Try to show her in a more positive/proactive role. If they killed her off without having ever really given her anything to work with the character's sole legacy would be that she died, which isn't a very positive definition to have. Have her and Luna do a team up episode or maybe an episode just about the princesses, if not her own episode. Just do something with her that's positive.

Not really.  Dumbledore was actively pitting himself against Voldemort, hunting down horcruxes and researching and even facing up against him and his death-eaters.  Gandalf was right alongside the Fellowship kicking orc butt and leading armies and whatnot.  Yeah, Celestia raises the sun and assigns homework, but besides that, all she's ever done is force Twilight to do the dirty work, or explain plots.  Yay.

We wouldn't really loose much if Celestia bit the big one.

P.S.  Is that the right expression?  My brain has trouble thinking.

You're not getting the point at all. Celestia has been motivating and leading Twilight through her obstacles and teaching her the power of friendship, not to mention how Celestia's role as a mother-figure to Twilight is what I love most about her. Most of Twilight's benefits wouldn't have been without Celestia. Celestia simply has different methods from other characters like Gandalf in their roles, she doesn't exactly need to be some "badass orc-butt-kicking warrior", does she?

• Brohoof 4

You're not getting the point at all. Celestia has been motivating and leading Twilight through her obstacles and teaching her the power of friendship, not to mention how Celestia's role as a mother-figure to Twilight is what I love most about her. Most of Twilight's benefits wouldn't have been without Celestia. Celestia simply has different methods from other characters like Gandalf in their roles, she doesn't exactly need to be some "badass orc-butt-kicking warrior", does she?

THIS. This so much. 

Twilight would never be Twilight that we know and love now if it weren't for Celestia. She made Twi the person she is right now. 

Without Celestia, Twilight would probably spend the rest of her life in Canterlot as an librarian, caring only about her family, Spike and books. She would never learn the magic of friendship. She would never become a princess, a leader. She would never understand herself, her life would always be incomplete. Besides, we might not see it, but Celestia is capable of fighting and no matter how you look at it, she was taking care of the entire country for years. Alone. There's much more to her than only being a princess and Twilight's mentor. In my previous comment I said that MLP is slice of life kind of cartoon and I think that it needs to be repeated here. That's why Celestia's methods are different. 

• Brohoof 5

I can just here in sickly Celestia's voice.

"Twilight, I won't be here forever. The lessons you have learned about friendship have prepared you for this. I am counting on you, Twilight, to take my place when I cannot anymore."

The camera then pans into Twilights face. The heartbeat monitor then buzzes, and Twilight tears up.