Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia should die.

Phosphorous

What about no? And people usually have something against characters if they want them to die, so please don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

If something is able to make me leave the fandom, then it's threads and opinions like these -.-

edit: Sorry, if i sound rude, but first Fluttershy and now this? Is Gary S. gonna have to choke bronies? :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Gary S.

She probably wouldn't die in the show, but if she were "lost" by other means, it could be done, and still carry the same desired effect on the rest of the characters.

Example: To stop some major threat, she makes a sacrifice of herself and seals both the threat and herself away into some kind of dimensional void.  She's not "dead", but there's no retrieving her either... at least, not immediately.  Somewhere down the line, she could be rescued once they become powerful enough to find a way to free her.  Until then, however, they have to deal with the loss which is, as far as they know, permanent.

• Brohoof 1

Well i do understand you but what i mean is if you make a character dissapear, a reason would have to follow. And that reason might have some interesting plot tied into it which could tie in to the season finale or premier of the next

nooooo.gif

ci2my.jpg

ci3cn.jpg

ci2si.jpg

ci2vw.jpg

ci32x.jpg

I assume that I don't need to explain the point I am trying to highlight here as you are all very capable and intelligent. Just in case .... this is Stephen King talking about something he knows and does well ... writing about character deaths.

ci2ha.jpg

Yeah.

YOU NEVER KILL A CHARACTER AND THEN COME UP WITH A REASON. ITS BAD WRITING. PERIOD. THE END.

• Brohoof 5

First off celestia won't die, she'll assend and I don't see her dying making the show more interesting essoecialy with it being targeted towards young children. Sorry guys we are not the target audience if you want stuff like that watch a cartoon or an anime geared towards more mature audiences

In the unlikely event that happens I would have objections to it so long as it was done right but it dosen't have to be the only reason Celestia is no longer able or willing to rule. Celestia could simply decide to retire, 1000 years of rule must be quite stressful and Celestia has done plenty.

• Brohoof 1

You're not getting the point at all. Celestia has been motivating and leading Twilight through her obstacles and teaching her the power of friendship, not to mention how Celestia's role as a mother-figure to Twilight is what I love most about her.

I disagree.  Not trying to be troll-y or offensive or anything, I'd just like to point out a few things:

Celestia doesn't really teach at all.  She kicks Twilight out of Canterlot and forces her to teach herself.  She has twice (probably more times, but it's almost my bed time and thinking is hard right now) risked the fate of hundreds on the off chance that Twilight will see through her reverse psychology or incredibly vague hints in time to save the day.  Remember in Episode 1/2, when Nightmare Moon was coming back to be a dictator or whatever?  What are the chances that Twilight would actually follow instructions and make exactly five friends who exactly fit the five other elements of Harmony?  Wouldn't it have been nice if she gave Twilight a quick head's up?  And in the Crystal Empire episodes, why on earth would she tell Twilight that the most important thing is that she get all the glory or whatever?  Celestia is a reckless ruler and a very useless character.

The mother thing you could argue.  Could.  But honestly, I'd rather have Queen Chrysalis as a mom than her.  "Evil" or not, at least she took the most responsibility in trying to provide for her subjects, instead of letting her less powerful "kids" save themselves.

And so Celestia would serve a lot greater and more interesting function in the story by being killed off.  She's much better as a symbol than a character.

• Brohoof 1

Remember, this is a kids show.. so no deaths are showen.

Sombra: Turned back into shadow

tirek: Returned to original size and power, then thrown back into Hell/Tarturus.

So Celestia dying will never happen, maybe Celestia and Luna one day leave Equestria for whatever reason and leave Twilight and Candance in charge

Killing off prominent characters is totes passé now; I blame George R. R. Martin.  It could also be viewed as a cheap ratings booster, clichéd depending on the circumstances surrounding the death (self-sacrifice is by no means immune to this), and, well, lazy damned writing.  Because seriously, what's infinitely easier than further developing a character?  Killing them off.  And imagine all of the kids with Celestia figures that would suddenly be in possession of a "dead pony."  Do you want to be responsible for that?  I mean like really??

Child: Mommy, they killed my pony!

Mother: Hasbro, what da hell!??!?

Uh huh.

• Brohoof 4

Killing off prominent characters is totes passé now; I blame George R. R. Martin.  It could also be viewed as a cheap ratings booster, clichéd depending on the circumstances surrounding the death (self-sacrifice is by no means immune to this), and, well, lazy damned writing.  Because seriously, what's infinitely easier than further developing a character?  Killing them off.  And imagine all of the kids with Celestia figures that would suddenly be in possession of a "dead pony."  Do you want to be responsible for that?  I mean like really??

Child: Mommy, they killed my pony!

Mother: Hasbro, what da hell!??!?

Uh huh.

It's funny because a lot of B-grade soap operas are good at that kind of thing.

• Brohoof 1

again this is a kids show we are talking about, the original audience was directed towards little girls 3 to 10 i'm assuming and little girls do not want to see death because believe me once a little girl sees someone die in a series or a movie then the questions start being asked and the crying, I know this because I had to evade putting it on a movie in front of my cousin that was only 5 at the time because a character died and her parents didn't want her to see death at such a young age. MLP is just simply not a show that would allow that

Meh, killing off Celstia kills a great thematic element that has been a though-line in the show since season one. Her death wouldn't be the elevation of symbolism ... It would be its destruction. Celestia fullfils a dichotomy need - and there are several incomplete concepts that have to be followed through before you can remove the character.

Application of death in the way it is being proposed is amateurish wish fullfillment at best.

Oh, and while I don't want to defend Martin, at least all of his main character deaths have complete opened plot elements and furthered the story. There WERE points to them biting it.

Killing Celestia because see may be 'useless' betrays a lack of understanding of the character and show - and her death would be as empty as the perception of some of her detractors.

It's obvious these writers know what they are doing (most if the time).

• Brohoof 3

ah jeez, a death topic again? what is it people and bringing up topics that would only cause soccer moms to breathe down everybrony's necks?

Edited by ggg-2

Welp, if Celestia dies, then she'll just return by fandom's petition, just like how Brian died and got revived after noise from the fandom. So, it'll be a huge waste of time and tears to perform that. :P

Other than that, Celestia should probably stay as maybe a symbolic princess with Twilight being the "mane" princess. Celestia is pretty much a national symbol to the whole Equestrian nation considering she has been in power for like hundreds of thousands or even millions of years. If she's lost, Equestria will of course lose its iconic ruler, and everypony will never look at their land the same way as before...

And of course, she also played a major role in the show. She's pretty much the teacher of Twilight, and without her, she would have not been promoted to alicorn/princess status anyways or even have met her wonderful 5 other friends...

Just because someone will replace her doesn't mean she'll have to die anyways, she could probably be Twi's "vice princess" or something, guiding her way in ruling the Equestrian nation. There should always be a positive ending, especially in a show about the magic of friendship... :)

Edited by Pridus Fillypinenis
  • Brohoof 1

No, no, she's not Mufasa.  A big part of her existence is to make little girls' eyes sparkle as they gaze in wonder at the de facto Pretty Pony Princess™ of them all.  She's there on the merch and as so many toys because in many ways she represents the character that many young girls would like the very most and get the most joy from seeing.  Yeah, sure, she might get beat up now and then like what happened with Chrysalis but she ain't gonna die, man.

At the very most I could see a flash-forward at the end of the series where Twilight has taken her place and it's IMPLIED she passed away or even just became too old eventually (I'd say even alicorns age, just at an extremely slow rate compared to everything else) but nothing in the normal time frame of the show for sure.

The funny thing is that to preserve the juxtaposition and symmetry of what the main Princesses represent ... you would have to kill BOTH characters.

:D

Unfortunately, you're probably right. And it's ... well, disgusting. When there was a topic suggesting that writers should kill Applejack off, the reason (though never spoken directly by people who wanted it to happen) was exactly the same. To give more screentime to other characters. To make OTHER characters, not her, more interesting by her death, because we all know that death is a big tragedy to family and friends of that person and it can affect their future life.

Edited by Troblems
  • Brohoof 1