Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Regarding Ted Anderson - IDW Comics

The Coffee Pony

Not at all. Since Anderson was revealed to not be fired, I haven't read any of IDW's comics: If they back a person with disgusting ideals, I'm boycotting them.

I'm not breaking that promise here.

One employee has controversial opinions; boycott the entire company until they agree to sack him and ruin his professional career and possibly his entire livelihood.

Yeah, that seems rational.

@@Mand'alor Dash, It makes perfect sense. When a person uses IDW's (and perhaps Hasbro's) assets to plug in characters of people who hate a good portion of the people who buy the comics and then supports and echoes their vile ideals, it shouldn't be tolerated.

At this point, IDW has proven to be unethical and cowardly by supporting a man with sexist opinions and thrust them into a comic for a generation started by a woman who's against this brand of politics. I see no reason to support IDW in return.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

@@Mand'alor Dash, It makes perfect sense. When a person uses IDW's (and perhaps Hasbro's) assets to plug in characters of people who hate a good portion of the people who buy the comics and then supports and echoes their vile ideals, it shouldn't be tolerated.

He was reprimanded for that, and his entire team was warned against ever using fan OCs in the future. IDW took care of it without anybody getting hurt.

At this point, IDW has proven to be unethical and cowardly by supporting a man with sexist opinions, so I see no reason to support IDW in return.

"Unethical and cowardly" is accepting that your employees are human beings with their own opinions?

I don't know how up to snuff your cold war history is, but you are arguing almost the exact same policy that Joe McCarthy did back in the 50s, just with a nameswap. Blacklisting people for their opinions is a very bad idea with very dire consequences.

• Brohoof 1

He was reprimanded for that, and his entire team was warned against ever using fan OCs in the future. IDW took care of it without anybody getting hurt.

"Unethical and cowardly" is accepting that your employees are human beings with their own opinions?

I don't know how up to snuff your cold war history is, but you are arguing almost the exact same policy that Joe McCarthy did back in the 50s, just with a nameswap. Blacklisting people for their opinions is a very bad idea with very dire consequences.

How would you react if it would've been someone that was sexist against women or racist against PoCs that he plugged and proceeded to parrot?

How would you react if it would've been someone that was sexist against women or racist against PoCs that he plugged and proceeded to parrot?

I'm glad you brought this up. I would react the exact same way.

I agree with absolutely zero of the words he said. I think his kind of thinking is toxic and intellectually dishonest. However, I am also mature enough to realize that his opinions are his own. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean I (or anybody else) has a right to censor or blacklist him .

• Brohoof 1

He was reprimanded for that, and his entire team was warned against ever using fan OCs in the future.

That ain't good enough. In corporate terms, a "reprimand" is equivalent to a warning. The fact that he backed Cuteosphere up and lied to IDW about his apology does nothing except show how soft a reprimand is. A firing would be good to send a message to the rest of the roster that IDW won't put up with similar nonsense. If they wanted to give something softer yet firm to the tooth, a fine and/or suspension would've been better.

An opinion isn't something that deserves a free pass. If he's going to present an opinion, be prepared to back it up and hope they don't have any ramifications. His opinions don't deserve anything less but scorn because they go against FIM and the feminist movement.

Even worse because, like I told you earlier, he took their politics and posted them into the comic. The two OCs weren't inserted just for giggles. He admitted to putting them in because he supports their dangerous politics. This gives their appearances added weight and speaks to IDW's customers that they're worthless.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I'm pretty much over firing Anderson, but IDW still did what amounted to the bare minimum they could have done without actually doing nothing about it. The very least concession I would settle for that wouldn't have ruined Anderson's career would have been to recall the comics and replace the characters in question, because their use in the comics is the main issue at hand, more than his views outside of work.

It's not really a top priority for me anymore, but it's not really a done deal yet either. This should serve as an example for anyone else who tries doing such a thing.

At the same time, I truly believed if it had been misogyny or racism against nonwhites in his work, IDW definitely would have taken action much quicker. They probably would have fired him on the spot or gone with my solution of reversing any damaging references he put in the comics.

That's the far-left double standard we have in our society these days. Discriminatory action against nonwhites or women is warranting of immediate attention, with the threat of possible negative media attention. However, discrimination against cisgenders, whites, and males is tolerated because apparently minority groups are allowed to hate the majority because they were subjugated by them for so long.

That is the kind of dehumanizing, de-individualizing, and hypocritical double standard we are against. The people alive today did not have a hand in the past struggles of a group, thus they do not deserve to have this misguided, externalized anger directed at them. You cannot overcome hate and discrimination by reversing it. You overcome by ending it.

Even if nothing happened to Anderson, we succeeded in some part by getting this message out where more can hear about it.

Edited by North Wind
  • Brohoof 4

That ain't good enough. In corporate terms, a "reprimand" is equivalent to a slap on the wrist. The fact that he backed Cuteosphere up and lied to IDW about his apology does nothing except show how soft a reprimand is. A firing would be good to send a message to the rest of the roster that IDW won't put up with similar nonsense. If they wanted to give something softer, a fine and/or suspension would've been better.

What message? Not to put bad OCs in the comics? That's what the warning was for. IDW isn't a Bond villain, they don't need to put Teddy on his knees and feed him to the sharks just to get their point across.

It's a comic company, for chrissakes.

An opinion isn't something that deserves a free pass. If he's going to present an opinion, be prepared to back it up and hope they don't have any ramifications. His opinions don't deserve anything less but the scorn they deserve because they go against FIM and the feminist movement.

FIM isn't a political entity. It's a cartoon/toy franchise. By this logic, Hasbro shouldn't have anybody who wants higher corporate tax or stricter outsourcing laws. That would fly directly in the face of the company and its stated goals, wouldn't it?

Being a part of FIM is not a submission to Feminism.

Even worse because, like I told you earlier, he took their politics and posted them into the comic. The two OCs weren't inserted just for giggles. He admitted to putting them in because he agrees with their politics.

And that's really all this is: Politics. You have your politics, he has his, and I have mine. We don't agree, but them's the breaks.

This gives their appearances added weight and speaks to IDW's customers that they're worthless.

Really? 'Cause I'm a brony (male one, too), and I sure didn't feel "worthless" because of one dumbass and his stupid cameo.

I'm glad you brought this up. I would react the exact same way.

I agree with absolutely zero of the words he said. I think his kind of thinking is toxic and intellectually dishonest. However, I am also mature enough to realize that his opinions are his own. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean I (or anybody else) has a right to censor or blacklist him .

Then why not put him on another comic where this conflict of interests(being close with a well-known fan-hater and attacker of the comics fanbase) wouldn't be a problem?

Put him on Transformers, Doctor Who, The X-Files, Adventure Time, or literally any one of their other comics where this issue wouldn't come up. 

Edited by Shoboni

Then why not put him on another comic where this conflict of interests(being close with a well-known fan-hater and attacker of the comics fanbase) wouldn't be a problem?

Put him on Transformers, Doctor Who, The X-Files, Adventure Time or literally any one of their other comics where this issue wouldn't come up. 

You make a good point, but I should point out that FIM is about as apolitical as it gets. If it came up here, then it has an equal chance of coming up everywhere.

Other than that, it's likely that he's just skilled at writing for FIM, and perhaps that skill simply wouldn't transfer as well to Doctor Who. If that's the case, then I don't begrudge IDW for keeping him on the team.

You make a good point, but I should point out that FIM is about as apolitical as it gets. If it came up here, then it has an equal chance of coming up everywhere.

Other than that, it's likely that he's just skilled at writing for FIM, and perhaps that skill simply wouldn't transfer as well to Doctor Who. If that's the case, then I don't begrudge IDW for keeping him on the team.

That doesn't change the fact that he now a major conflict of interest with the brand and it's consumers(or that he's aired toxic views tied to a franchise with a large amount of very young fans that they might hear) 

• Brohoof 2

So... New Ted Anderson comic, are you guys going to get it?

Yeah I'm probably going to get it.

But why? why? why would you bump this thread? I was hoping we'd all moved on with our lives.

But I guess as long as we haven't, did you guys see this great moment in passive aggressiveness:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/12/final-tallies-for-humble-pony-comic.html

unnamed.png

Those are the top contributors for the MLP Comics Humble Bundle. Someone paid $300 just so they get "Please Fire Ted Anderson" up at the top. You know... For charity.

• Brohoof 2

That doesn't change the fact that he now a major conflict of interest with the brand and it's consumers(or that he's aired toxic views tied to a franchise with a large amount of very young fans that they might hear) 

It could conflict with their profits (in which case they'll have to fire/reassign him and at that point it would be hard to begrudge them), but that would be the consumer's doing. In the market, all change is affected at a consumer level, which is why that is where I am directing my argument: The consumers.

The young fans, however, probably just thought the OC was just any random pony and kept reading. He really only aired his views on Round Stable, and that place is already a Tumblr in the making.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I'm probably going to get it.

But why? why? why would you bump this thread? I was hoping we'd all moved on with our lives.

But I guess as long as we haven't, did you guys see this great moment in passive aggressiveness:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/12/final-tallies-for-humble-pony-comic.html

unnamed.png

Those are the top contributors for the MLP Comics Humble Bundle. Someone paid $300 just so they get "Please Fire Ted Anderson" up at the top. You know... For charity.

On the bright side, at least No. 1 isn't crazy

On the comic, I'm probably not gonna get since a Christmas comic focusing on bullying/cyberbullying kind of seems bleh to me

I think everyone needs a little refresher on what exactly these extremist views he has are:

It's okay to say really hurtful things about men and bronies as long as you're doing it as some sort of ironic statement.

It's a stupid opinion, but that's still the full extent of his extreme views here.

• Brohoof 1

It could conflict with their profits (in which case they'll have to fire/reassign him and at that point it would be hard to begrudge them), but that would be the consumer's doing. In the market, all change is affected at a consumer level, which is why that is where I am directing my argument: The consumers.

The young fans, however, probably just thought the OC was just any random pony and kept reading. He really only aired his views on Round Stable, and that place is already a Tumblr in the making.

It was just that, he also posted pictures while wearing a sexist T-Shirt and said all kinds of stupid shit publicly on a forum where anyone that Googles his name might find it.

• Brohoof 1

It was just that, he also posted pictures while wearing a sexist T-Shirt and said all kinds of stupid shit publicly on a forum where anyone that Googles his name might find it.

Considering the crazy shit you'll find just for typing "My Little Pony" into Google, I think it's a bit silly to be worked up about results you might get for searching for a specific writer on the comic series.

As is his right. What he does with his personal time may come back to bite him in his personal life, but apart from OC cameos that were removed in a reprint and strictly warned against in the future, it hasn't affected his professional work.

His presence on the staff is good for the product. As long as this is true, then there is no reason to let him go.

As is his right. What he does with his personal time may come back to bite him in his personal life, but apart from OC cameos that were removed in a reprint and strictly warned against in the future, it hasn't affected his professional work.

His presence on the staff is good for the product. As long as this is true, then there is no reason to let him go.

How is "good for the product" when people are turning on it and refusing to buy anything with his name on it? If anything he's holding his co-workers back by hurting the sales and profits of things they also worked on. 

• Brohoof 1

How is "good for the product" when people are turning on it and refusing to buy anything with his name on it? If anything he's holding his co-workers back by hurting the sales and profits of things they also worked on. 

Then let me rephrase that:

His writing skills are good for the product. As to whether his mere presence will hurt sales, that remains to be seen.

Then let me rephrase that:

His writing skills are good for the product. As to whether his mere presence will hurt sales, that remains to be seen.

I honestly don't find his writing much better than the other regular writer. 

I honestly don't find his writing much better than the other regular writer. 

A'ight. I haven't read all of the comics myself (only the first 8 main series, and the first two micro series), but the general consensus among most readers is that he's great at his job. The man's got to be doing something right.

OH MAI GAWD, WHY IS THIS TOPIC IS STILL BEING DISCUSSED? GET OVER IT GUYS  :eww:

So... New Ted Anderson comic, are you guys going to get it?

img-3330746-1-1.jpg

Well, I don't see any reasons not to, I just hope I can find one when I go to the US next summer  >_>

• Brohoof 2

For the question: Will I buy the new issue?

NOPE!

Mainly because I buy my comics in volumes! Because this way I can get an entire arc cheaper than if I went out and bought all the comics individually. That and Trade-Paperbacks and Hardcovers are more durable than single issues.

For the question: Will I buy the new issue?

NOPE!

Mainly because I buy my comics in volumes! Because this way I can get an entire arc cheaper than if I went out and bought all the comics individually. That and Trade-Paperbacks and Hardcovers are more durable than single issues.

I don't know if IDW does annuals in trades collections.